cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wells fargo... banking bonus...credit card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wells fargo... banking bonus...credit card?

I've heard its much easier to get a credit card from Wells Fargo w a banking relationship..i am  taking advantage  of the 400$ checking bonus and moving my paycheck to Wells Fargo direct deposit...

Has anyone had success opening a bank account and then a credit card... or how long after you opened the bank account  did u apply? Pre approval or cold app? I'll be waiting until at least the end of next month when all 3 eq tu ex will have less than 3 scorable inquiries plus a bunch will fall off completely from June 2018...

Obviously I'm not using Wells Fargo to store $ in savings(biggest bank in the world, worst savings interest rates)

I did the same with citi... I was denied 2 times until I deposited 20k into there bank account after establishing a relationship they have given me 2 cards both w cl around 10k...  

I like the propel but have cards with similar rewards...so I'm thinking either the cash wise visa.. easy 500 $ spend to get 150$.. or looking to close my oldest discover(2300 cl started as 200 cl may 2018). I want to combine it with my newest disco about to be one year, but not having any luck with a cli lately..I definitely think discover would pre approve me if I close the older card even if I opened a Wells Fargo card I have made over 1k in cb with discover these past two years. The wells fargo card would be used to get my foot in the door with them. I'm hoping they will offer better  or different rewards cards in future.. So would you wait for a pre approval from them? I've never received a solid apr from them just marketing with a range apr..

The last cards I'm looking at is cap 1 savor for the 300$ sub or cap 1 venture one  20,000 points, since I plan to downgrade my venture b4 af comes in November...its been 6 months since my venture approval but don't like the triple hard pull..but if they let ppl check pre approvals for there good cards again ill consider it..

Obviously I'm looking just at the sign up bonus' also my 250 af on amex gold card is coming this month so ill close that unless I get a good retention offer...would closing the gold card help with the wells Fargo app? Obviously I don't have any experience with Wells Fargo until 3 days ago opening the checking account...

I know that was a lot but any opinions are appreciated... 

Im.not looking to get a house for at least 2 years. And have about 30% of my auto loan left to pay off... When thats paid off it might be time to trade one car in and get another auto loan..like I said thats one maybe 2 years away. My point is I've had luck with subs and want to get as many as I can be4 I'm ready to get a house.. i opened a lot of accounts 2 years ago, and 6-9 months ago so new accounts aren't really affecting my aaoa...wich is 1.6 years...

Ps I have 5 amex cards and 2 amex charge cards... I'll let them all age to one year before applying for another revolver( ill close the Amazon biz card, if need be since I have the store card who gave me a nice cli to 10k after my approval for the amex version of Amazon..

What would you do? Let them age or keep sub hunting???

11 REPLIES 11
credit_is_crack
Valued Contributor

Re: Wells fargo... banking bonus...credit card?

@Anonymous  your mind must have been racing when you posted this lol It started out as a Wells Fargo inquiry, and migrated into chasing SUBs well before a home purchase (smart way to do that btw). 

regarding your initial question, does having a checking relationship with WF impact your odds for a credit card, I think @M_Smart007 might be able to share some insight. 

I know he's been with them a good while and has learned their wonky ways lol

I don't have any personal cards with them (tough but to crack with my highly active profile) so can't say from any personal experience, but it's a general understanding that they are very relationship heavy (like stage 5 clinger heavy) lol 

Message 2 of 12
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Op you need to break your post up, its just one long run on and for many too hard to read.

Imo you dont need a banking relationship to get a WF cc. It may help but not a necessity,  i got 2 without any products previously

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got the Propel with a small 401k account. Not sure if that counts as a relationship, probably not,  but they are very conservative and will need to feel "safe" to let new customers get in with a card. But if you have leas than an ideal profile, I can't see why a relationship with them might help them feel safer with a new customer. Just my opinion. 

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Obviously no two profiles are the same, so different outcomes are likely. For me I've never had a prior relationship with any of my CC issuers besides CU's of course. So I think it most definitely can be done without opening up useless accounts just to get a card. The only Bank in which I had a deposit account with prior to apping a CC was BoA. And the only real help that was, was to bypass the too many recent accounts open rule. 

However, DP's do suggest that some FI's like the relationship status prior to CC apps. And if they're offering a nice SUB to do so why not!

In fact if I wasn't WF adverse, I'd definitely consider it. I'm also in no hurry to add yet another deposit account to manage, already have 6.

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ty for the info
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

yes it was I just worked another week at ups 60+ hours delivering lol.

I just think the fact i deposited so much in citi for that bonus is why I have the two cards with 9k cl.. i was denied twice with a better fico profile prior to the approval after the account was opened. 

I had many new accounts  But was approved because I left 20 grand in the account. I responded to preapproved mail the 1st time I had gotten one of those from citi..

Personally I think the relationship did it for me.

I also Was asking if I had a chance with Wells Fargo. I have many open account and feel like them being the biggest bank in the world I would have a better chance with discover or capital one having had those cards for years now.  Maybe this wf account will help me in a year..

Ty for replies

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lol I have 6 now
Message 8 of 12
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Obviously I'm not using Wells Fargo to store $ in savings(biggest bank in the world, worst savings interest rates)

FWIW, Wells Fargo is not the biggest bank in the world (7th or 13th depending on methodology), or even in the US (JPMC and BoA are larger)  But yes, lousy savings rates!

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ty glad u told me lol I must have heard it somewhere recently..thats why should always double check but didn't care enough to check lol.
I'll probably just get the 400$ out of wells fargo maybe keep the minimum 1500 in checking to avoid fees and see if anything comes of it. If not thats fine..
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.