cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WellsFargo- Propel card or Autograph card???

tag
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

Re: WellsFargo- Propel card or Autograph card???

@cws-21 wrote:

@BronzeTrader wrote:

If there is no compelling reasons to close the card, I'd keep both.  

I have the original Propel card and I like to keep it.  I may just use it when I go to NYC to take the subway.  It is one of the few cards that still consider subway or mass transit as travel.  Let me know if I'm missing other "subway" cards.

The main drawback of WF cards is its point system, or the lack of it.  The GoFar Award is almost useless.  If WF can build a point system like Captal1's, then WF cards will just take off.  

Cap1 was a very crapy CC bank before.  Look at it now.  It competes with Chase head on.  Its Venture X card is a game changer.  It kicks Chase CSR's butt.

Another "transit" card that comes to mind is the Amex Blue Cash Preferred.

It is just silly to separate transit and highway toll from the travel.  We travel with bus, ferry, airplane, and with vehicle.  Some may separate hotel from travel too.

Anyhow.  Not a huge deal.  We just have to remember which card has what benefits.  

Message 11 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would keep the propel ONLY because it has years behind it, although I would prefer a visa over Amex. I wish I could pc my propel to autograph. It's not the same since they took away Amex offers.

Message 12 of 25
Eagered2succeed
Frequent Contributor

I have not received my Autograp card yet, so I don't know how it feels and looks..but I can understand you and some other folks out here who go by the look and feel as its the same thing when guys chose women to date based on look and feeling, but not me...I go on how a card is accepted everywhere...

@Janneman wrote:

@Eagered2succeed wrote:

Personally I'm more partial to the Propel. I like the look and feel of the metal Propel.  Also other than the Autograph providing 3% for cellphone payments the cards are identical in point structure. For that reason I see why you don't want to keep both. I'm guessing you signed up for the bonus. For that reason I would keep the Autograph and close the Propel. Another reason I use to like the Propel is because of the Amex offers, but since they no longer offer therm it loses that edge. 

I have not received my Autograp card yet, so I don't know how it feels and looks..but I can understand you and some other folks out here who go by the look and feel as its the same thing when guys chose women to date based on look and feeling, but not me...I go on how a card is accepted everywhere...and so far Propel ...Amex one has been accepted more at abroad in my case over visa and Mastercard ones...Further, I never thought about them being identical in point structure...I thought I would get good CL on this Autograph card but I got a toy limit...I just wanna getting rid off unnecessary cards right now. 

Ha ha you just generalized the comment I made as if it was a reason I chose the cards I use or app for which isn't the case. Just pointed the obvious out. Would never get a card for how it looked. What counts is the reward structure and how it fits into my spending habits. Thanks for the laugh though. It really made me chuckle 🤣.

Message 13 of 25
Janneman
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I would keep the propel ONLY because it has years behind it, although I would prefer a visa over Amex. I wish I could pc my propel to autograph. It's not the same since they took away Amex offers.

did u try 2 pc your propel to autograph?

Message 14 of 25
FormerCollegeDJ
Frequent Contributor

@BronzeTrader wrote:

@FormerCollegeDJ wrote:

@BronzeTrader wrote:

I have the original Propel card and I like to keep it.  I may just use it when I go to NYC to take the subway.  It is one of the few cards that still consider subway or mass transit as travel.  Let me know if I'm missing other "subway" cards.

With the Propel (and Autograph), Wells Fargo considers mass transit spending as transit.  However, because both "transit" and "travel" are 3% categories, cardholders don't have to worry about making a distinction between the two, a not insignificant, indirect perk if you use/pay for "travel" spending that includes non-mass transit (flights, hotels, rental cars) and mass transit relatively often.

Many cards that offer 3% rewards on travel consider transit a separate category and do not provide 3% rewards on transit (which is similar to what you said above but stated in a different way).

Not really.

Before Citi considered mass transit as "travel".  Mass transit was not a separate category.  Highway toll too.  But Citi later removed mass transit as part of the travel.  Probably highway toll too.

I do not recall either WF or Citi specifically states the mass transit category.  Just a broad travel category.  

Here's the language Wells Fargo provides on its website for the 3x rewards categories for the Autograph Visa.  Note that travel and transit are listed separately: https://creditcards.wellsfargo.com/autograph-visa-credit-card/?sub_channel=SEO&vendor_code=G.

Playing the credit card rewards game since early May 2020.

Current credit cards:
American Express: Hilton Honors
Bank of America: Customized Cash Rewards Visa
Capital One: SavorOne MC
Chase: Amazon Visa, Freedom Unlimited Visa, Freedom Flex MC
Citi: Sears/ThankYou Rewards MC, My Best Buy Visa, Custom Cash MC
Comenity: AAA Travel Advantage Visa
Discover: Cash It
Elan: S&T Bank Max Cash Preferred Visa
FNBO: Amtrak Guest Rewards Platinum MC
PSECU: Founder's Visa
U.S. Bank: Cash+ Visa
Wells Fargo: Autograph Visa
Store cards: Kohl's

Next target credit cards: Wells Fargo Bilt Mastercard (probably), Truist Enjoy Travel Visa (maybe)
Message 15 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Janneman wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

did u try 2 pc your propel to autograph?

I was told it wasnt allowed because one is amex and the other is a visa.

Message 16 of 25
NoMoreE46
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

@Janneman , 

FYI, the Propel will eventually be sunsetted by WF.   There are still several hundred thousands of accounts active but WF's intention is make the Propel a legacy product.   Personally, I like the aesthetics of my AG better than my Propel  and their weight and feel  are very similar.

TIP: Before closing one,  have the CL from the one being closed reallocated the the surviving card.   It's an easy process you need to call them to do the reallocation.   (If you reallocate from your Propel, you must leave a minimum of $1500 on it.)

@KillingThemGingerly wrote:

Iirc the Propel is a Amex and the Autograph is a Visa. Visa is more widely accepted which is a point for the Autograph. I'd probably keep whichever has the higher CL. 

Message 17 of 25
cws-21
Established Contributor

@NoMoreE46 wrote:

@Janneman , 

FYI, the Propel will eventually be sunsetted by WF.   There are still several hundred thousands of accounts active but WF's intention is make the Propel a legacy product.   Personally, I like the aesthetics of my AG better than my Propel  and their weight and feel  are very similar.

TIP: Before closing one,  have the CL from the one being closed reallocated the the surviving card.   It's an easy process you need to call them to do the reallocation.   (If you reallocate from your Propel, you must leave a minimum of $1500 on it.)

Iirc the Propel is a Amex and the Autograph is a Visa. Visa is more widely accepted which is a point for the Autograph. I'd probably keep whichever has the higher CL.  

Actually, @NoMoreE46, I did as you recommended, transferred the $25k from my Propel to my Autograph with SL of $25k, and I did not have to leave any credit limit on the Propel. The difference may be that I was closing the Propel after the credit reallocation.

Message 18 of 25
Janneman
Established Contributor

@cws-21 wrote:

@NoMoreE46 wrote:

@Janneman , 

Actually, @NoMoreE46, I did as you recommended, transferred the $25k from my Propel to my Autograph with SL of $25k, and I did not have to leave any credit limit on the Propel. The difference may be that I was closing the Propel after the credit reallocation.

But I will be closing my Autograph and would keep the Propel.

Message 19 of 25
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@NoMoreE46 wrote:

@Janneman , 

Or, they could keep it around for a while if profitability margins are acceptable and depending on the contract with AmEx. I still have Propel World since 2015, which even with the recent CC lineup refresh, it seems like they're in no hurry to force or convert some legacy accounts, including the Visa Signature CC 🤷‍♂️

Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.