Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What CC Should I Apply?

tag
josh1
New Contributor

What CC Should I Apply?

I do a lot of business on PayPal with a company in the UK for my business. PayPal generally charges anywhere between 2-8% more to convert USD to GBP, but recently I found out I could just have my bank do the conversion instead. When I tried though, they told me I can only do it with a Visa or Mastercard, which currently I don't have either (I have a debit for Visa and a PayPal Master, but the Master wouldn't work because I would be paying on PayPal). Because of this, I am looking for a Visa or Mastercard with no foreign transaction fee, no annual fee, and preferably some amount of cashback. Currently, I am in the mid 700s for my credit score, but because I am a student my income is not the best. Any suggestions?

Credit Cards:

AU Cards:

Other Cards:
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
xaximus
Valued Contributor

Re: What CC Should I Apply?

You can go with Cap1 Quicksilver (not the QS1) but it does have a 3 bureau pull. Another option you can do is BoA Travel Rewards, you may not get a high limit but it can grow over time. I did notice that you're an AU on a QS card already, are you not able to use that?

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you have military in your family, past or present, the Navy Federal cashRewards is a pretty awesome card and Navy is generous with limits. 

Otherwise the QuickSilver is what I would recommend as well. It’s really not a bad card, it just gets outclassed by 2% and category cards and Capital One isn’t known for the largest limits around. 

Message 3 of 8
josh1
New Contributor

Yeah, that is why I am hesitant about the Cap1. Also, back when I applied for the platinum, not the secured one, they denied me. It was the first card I was applying for, but because I was an authorized user I did have a decent credit score (low-mid 700) and a decent income. I do have 2 of my own cards now, and a bit more income, but that still makes me nervous. And for the AU card, I could in theory, but I am not sure I want my family seeing my business transactions, as they can be quite nosy.

Credit Cards:

AU Cards:

Other Cards:
Message 4 of 8
josh1
New Contributor

I have heard that, but I sadly have not had any family in the military. And for the Cap1, I would be fine with the 1.5%, since the alternative is no cash back or being gouged by PayPal in currency conversion fees.

Credit Cards:

AU Cards:

Other Cards:
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don’t understand why you can’t use the PayPal Cashback MasterCard for this purpose... I have currency conversion on PayPal set to be done by my cards and it’s been that way since forever. Synchrony would be doing the currency conversion and they charge no FTF. 

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

If what you want is cashback, then in that case I'd recommend a Capital One Savor One or maybe even a Quicksilver. Ironic that I would recommend a Capital One, since I have found them to be quite stingy. but with mid-700s credit score as you say, I think you'd have a chance. The minimum credit limit on both cards is $1000.

Message 7 of 8
JustBPatient
Established Contributor

What about Penfed Powercash Rewards card?  Good CU to build a relationship with!  Good luck!

Amex Gold =Amex ED 20k = Amex BCP 14k = Amex SPG Lux 2k = Arrival 2k = Ring 14k = BOA 321 30k = BOA BBR 10k = CSR 25k = Freedom 10k = Citi Simplicity 9k = Citi DC 5k = Citi DP 3k = DCVR IT 16k = DCVR IT(2) 10k = CAP1 QS 15k = NFCU CR24k/AE25k/CLOC 15k = BBVA 14k = Wells Plat. 5k = (2) US Bank Cash+ 13k, 18k = PenFed 17k

FICO scores TU 764 EX 739 EQ 745
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.