Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What CC do you guys recommend with rewards and why

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What CC do you guys recommend with rewards and why

785, 787, and, 779.
I'm planning on buying a new truck soon and then I'm going to apply right away for 2 new cards to help build my credit back up for one year to buy a house. I currently only have one cap one card.

I want a card that will work for daily use if I want or something that makes the rewards worth having. I currently started to travel more and realize how much I enjoy it. So I was thinking the discover card and maybe a blue cash amex.

I dont ever carry balances on my cards. If I do I pay them off before they're late. Just a fyi
11 REPLIES 11
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: What CC do you guys recommend with rewards and why

Hi
It would help if you list the cards you have to avoid redundant suggestions.
Also, knowing more about your spending habits would help, too.
Neither card you mentioned is exactly geared towards travel.
Are you looking for cobranded airline, hotel or "general" travel card?
Are you opposed to paying AF?
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

wells fargo propel or the uber visa are great travel cards without af. 

Message 3 of 12
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

When do you plan on buying a house?

Ideally, it's best to avoid adding new accounts for a year before mortgage shopping. That way, you gain points for your youngest account reaching a year in age. And your inquiries will become unscorable.

Message 4 of 12
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
785, 787, and, 779.
I'm planning on buying a new truck soon and then I'm going to apply right away for 2 new cards to help build my credit back up for one year to buy a house. I currently only have one cap one card.

I want a card that will work for daily use if I want or something that makes the rewards worth having. I currently started to travel more and realize how much I enjoy it. So I was thinking the discover card and maybe a blue cash amex.

I dont ever carry balances on my cards. If I do I pay them off before they're late. Just a fyi

779+ FICOS

"build [your] credit back up"

These would seem to be inconsistent...the sting of new credit may be greater than the benefit lower utilization and an additional account.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

You think so? I kind of thought that too but I've read several things and some people even on here have suggested the extra cards after a new loan for at least 6 months to a year to build it back up. Idk, it's all confusing to me...
Message 6 of 12
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

We have no idea what accounts are on your report. There'd be a minimum number order to qualify for a mortgage. I don't know what that number is. But I'd bet on most people having plenty of accounts. It's the other stuff that gets in the way.

Message 7 of 12
NRB525
Super Contributor

OP can you list your accounts? Month and year opened, credit limit and balance on the last statement?
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 8 of 12
Hex
Valued Contributor

If you decide to get a car and a card you might want to consider getting a card with a nice sign up bonus (SUB) and using it to pay part of your downpayment. That way it’s easy to meet the spend for the SUB. Only if you can pay it off right away. You don’t want to pay interest.
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll try to give everyone as much information as I can since I'm not sure exactly what some of you are asking for.

I only have 1 credit card on my account right now and that's my cap one with a 2200 credit limit. I opened this card around April 2014. And the last payment was of 391 that was paid total before it was due.

I also had a car loan for a little above 15k that I got around Sept 2015 and it was a 60 month loan with a interest rate of 1.74 and I just paid the last of it off for 3k last week and that was 11 months early.

I'm now shopping for a new vehicle and am very close to trading in and I'm wanting to keep my new loan under 15k but I also want a house but have not found one that I've liked in the last 6 months so it may take even longer so I'm thinking of just saving more for downpayment and getting a new vehicle I've been wanting with lower payments a year.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.