Did you mean: 

What Cards Should I Close?

tag
smc733
Valued Contributor

Re: What Cards Should I Close?

@DI wrote:

@smc733 wrote:

Dump sears and target, keep Citi.  I'd dump Discover before I'd dump Citi.

I like Discover customer service.  One cannot easily get approved for a Discover card.  To me Discover is prestigious.

Fair enough, their CS is good when needed, though they have constantly tried to "sell" me services such as credit protection...

Anyway, that makes it tough if you want to close a third card, as everything else on that profile looks darn good.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 11 of 41
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

I like the choice of Target and Sears.  But IMHO, if you get rid of Sears, keep Citi Plat.  I'd say stick with 9 for now and see how Citi Plat treats you.  I take it you shop at Kroger? 

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 12 of 41
drsmith
Frequent Contributor

What is wrong with multiple Amex cards?

Seems like an easy way to boost your AAoA with multiple backdates

Starting Score: 703
Current Score: EQ 820 4/11/16
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 13 of 41
DI
Super Contributor

@visorboy1974 wrote:

I like the choice of Target and Sears.  But IMHO, if you get rid of Sears, keep Citi Plat.  I'd say stick with 9 for now and see how Citi Plat treats you.  I take it you shop at Kroger? 

I used to shop at Kroger before relocating.  We have no Kroger stores in Florida.  I now shop at Publix.

Message 14 of 41
DI
Super Contributor

@drsmith wrote:

Nothing is wrong with having multiple AMEX cards.  The card I opened in 2009 won't report to the CRAs with my 1997 member since date due to it already had been reporting 2009.  Because of that, I had to apply for a second card after getting my member since date corrected.  The new card should report 1997 to the CRAs. 

Message 15 of 41
smc733
Valued Contributor

Have you tried calling the exec. CS line?  That can definitely be corrected, despite what CSRs have told you.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 16 of 41
DI
Super Contributor

@smc733 wrote:

Have you tried calling the exec. CS line?  That can definitely be corrected, despite what CSRs have told you.

I called the credit bureau department.   Is that the same as the Exec line?

Message 17 of 41
drsmith
Frequent Contributor

@DI wrote:

@drsmith wrote:

Nothing is wrong with having multiple AMEX cards.  The card I opened in 2009 won't report to the CRAs with my 1997 member since date due to it already had been reporting 2009.  Because of that, I had to apply for a second card after getting my member since date corrected.  The new card should report 1997 to the CRAs. 

I know you've tried, but I remain convinced that you could get that fixed. I've read just about every backdating thread I can find, and I've never heard a case like yours.

Starting Score: 703
Current Score: EQ 820 4/11/16
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 18 of 41
DI
Super Contributor

@drsmith wrote:

@DI wrote:

@drsmith wrote:

I know you've tried, but I remain convinced that you could get that fixed. I've read just about every backdating thread I can find, and I've never heard a case like yours.

I'll call again.  I asked a friend who work at AMEX about it. I was told it can be done.  I may just need to talk to someone different.  After I was told that information by the credit bureau dept who handles the backdating, I believed the Rep knew what she was talking about.   

Message 19 of 41
smc733
Valued Contributor

@DI wrote:

@smc733 wrote:

I called the credit bureau department.   Is that the same as the Exec line?

There's a separate number for CS at the Executive Offices at 200 Vessey St. in NY.  

When I find where I put my iPhone, I'll look up the number in the call logs.

Message 20 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.