cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Constitutes "Too Many Inquiries" For Amex/etc?

tag
jbh
Established Contributor

What Constitutes "Too Many Inquiries" For Amex/etc?

Hey,

I'm working on a 6 month plan to be approved by Amex Delta Skymiles/Green (Need to start somewhere) by keeping uitl down, scores in the 650's+ and no recent derogs/etc.

Thing is, I noticed through other sites that even people with clean files get denied due to 'too many inquiries'. Would that constitute more than 3 per 6 months?

Thanks. I'm using the search feature here but I figured I'd ask just in case somebody had a good idea on how picky they can be.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Re: What Constitutes "Too Many Inquiries" For Amex/etc?

jbh wrote:
Hey,

I'm working on a 6 month plan to be approved by Amex Delta Skymiles/Green (Need to start somewhere) by keeping uitl down, scores in the 650's+ and no recent derogs/etc.

Thing is, I noticed through other sites that even people with clean files get denied due to 'too many inquiries'. Would that constitute more than 3 per 6 months?

Thanks. I'm using the search feature here but I figured I'd ask just in case somebody had a good idea on how picky they can be.

For one person I think it was one in the last 6 months  Smiley Very Happy
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

MidnightVoice wrote:

So i wonder do CC Companies base there decision off all your inquires or just the one's in the past 6 months?
Message 3 of 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

For one person I think it was one in the last 6 months Smiley Very Happy

So i wonder do CC Companies base there decision off all your inquires or just the one's in the past 6 months?

I think AmEx uses a dart board. Seriously.

Other companies generally focus on last six months to twelve months. The toughies like PenFed and Discover seem to look more at last 12 months.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 8
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

mjbfan79 wrote:

MidnightVoice wrote:

Don't forget they only see the last two years worth, and only on the CR they pull.  And it varies from CCC to CCC.

Sometimes they just use it as an excuse because overall they just don't want to give you a card
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

MidnightVoice wrote:
Sometimes they just use it as an excuse because overall they just don't want to give you a card

I agree.
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

mjbfan79 wrote:

MidnightVoice wrote:

I agree.

If your score are skyhigh and your balances are low, inquiries are easily over looked by lenders. When scores are average and there are balances, ect, they play a larger roll.
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Carsalesmn wrote:
If your score are skyhigh and your balances are low, inquiries are easily over looked by lenders. When scores are average and there are balances, ect, they play a larger roll.

I'm sure there is some truth to that.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.