cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Credit Card Do You Use When You're On a Date!?

tag
Cadillac-XTS
Established Contributor

Re: What Credit Card Do You Use When You're On a Date!?

LOL @ JonStar.. I really like his reply

Message 41 of 82
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@creditnocash wrote:

i guess people forgot what debit cards are. 

dodgers bank of america mastercard. 

but now next date i go on pulling out the amex. Woo 

but like stated kids my age(20/21) dont know what an amex is unless its their daddys/ mommys (went to a really rich highschool)

Most people I know our age don't even have their own credit cards Smiley Tongue Everyone I know my age either doesn't have a CC at all, or has an AU on mommy's/daddy's Smiley Tongue I've seen plenty of amex AUs my age though Smiley Very Happy 

Message 42 of 82
CK_Charles_Lover
Regular Contributor

I usually pull out my Applebee's gift card! Very impressive!  Smiley Wink

Trans Union Fico (Walmart) ,690 Experian Fico (Amex) 686(Opened 3 new accounts this month. In the Garden)

AMEX BCE ($19,500) AMEX PRG -(NPSL), BARCLAYS US AIR PREMIER WORLD ($10,000), BOA CASH REWARD -($6,000), CITI HILTON RESERVE SIGGY-(5,000), WALMART DISCOVER ( $5,800), CITI DIAMOND ($4,700), CITI DIVIDED WORLD ($4,500), AMAZON STORE($5,000), NORDSTROM VISA SIG($5,000), PAYPAL STORE ($4,000) Amex Delta Gold ($2000)
Message 43 of 82
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@SoCalBound wrote:

@Jlu wrote:

Trust me though, guys, you are better off pulling out your First Premier card on a first date. If that's the reason they don't want a second date then you would have had MUCH bigger problems than which credit card to use on a date.

I would look to see what a guy was paying with, but not because of any gold digging.  Having experiences with men who could not handle their finances and the mess they tried to make my life as a result, I want to make sure he's got his life in order and wont be asking to borrow money from me. First Premier would be an immediate red flag... there's so many better ways to build credit!

Well I think most people look at cards for entirely different reasons.  Like you I now look to see who's paying with what, I've started to realize after reading this forum one can tell a non-trivial amount about a person based on what they pay with; however, before finding this forum I didn't have a clue.

Airline rewards card: either travels or likes to travel

Random cashback card: if it's appropriate for the expense, has at least something of a financial plan (maybe not a good one but I digress)

Specific co-branded card: e.g. Disney, fair bet they have kids

Childish picture of some sort: durrrr....

Random bank card, CU etc: depends on the specific one, but you know they have a relationship with said lender, and depending on the lender...

That said, most folks don't know.  I was out at lunch with the co-workers and one dude paid with his Chase Amazon card... a very good choice from a rewards perspective, but most of the rest of the table gave him grief about it and I was apparently the only one that recognized it as a solid financial decision.  Then again I don't work with folks who have much of a financial plan anyway so perhaps that's not a good statistical point heh.

Personally while I dress up when I go out on a date (helps to show you at least *care*) the card is not really an issue though I don't have very many anyway.  I'm going to pay with whatever I have available, and typically that's my everday BOFA card, or perhaps the DCU one.  Have to admit I keep the Orchard one in the pocket Smiley Happy.

        
Message 44 of 82
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@nicholasyud wrote:

Pull my Food Stamp Cards out when thing go South.......

Haha. I use to wait tables at an IHOP that was right next to public housing and more then once I had someone try this!!!

you probably catch me once Smiley Very Happy

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 45 of 82
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Date - I use my Saints Debit card.  If they don't like Saints football its a done deal.  Smiley Happy I really need to get an NFL card.  Before I did my rebuild I didn't even have a credit card (I had about 5 years where I refused to own one).  When I would travel and pay with my Saints Debit card it always started up a conversation.  Ended up getting some free drinks with it on more than one occasion (hows that for cash back rewards?)

In all seriousness, I use which ever card is best for the circumstances or meets my rebuild plan.

However, as noted earlier, if out on a business dinner with client I will use one of my AMEX cards. 

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 46 of 82
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

@creditnocash wrote:

i guess people forgot what debit cards are. 

dodgers bank of america mastercard. 

but now next date i go on pulling out the amex. Woo 

but like stated kids my age(20/21) dont know what an amex is unless its their daddys/ mommys (went to a really rich highschool)

Most people I know our age don't even have their own credit cards Smiley Tongue Everyone I know my age either doesn't have a CC at all, or has an AU on mommy's/daddy's Smiley Tongue I've seen plenty of amex AUs my age though Smiley Very Happy 

yeah i tottally agree. 

since i was not born in this (united states) country i was taught to work for everything i had. since my first job at 14 my mother made me buy my own clothes and stuff in that area. i wanted to go to a movie guess who was paying? 

needed a ride to a friends ..... heres some gas money. 

(when i was 16)insurance.... want a cell phone you have a job. 

i was lucky and dumb. 

applied for like 6 cards when i was 17/18 and got denied for all of them. (due to no history)

my mother co-applied me for a best buy card that i treasured for the 2 years i have had it lol.

but on to the point of this thread. until this summer i had no non store cards to pay for a date so hence why i brought up the debit card or cash.

now chase freedom/ amex zync/ 2 bank mastercards(which really arent that impressive) 

but who are we kidding we will all be on myfico all night! Smiley Very Happy  jk. 

edit: im not saying that people that were born in the states don't work hard, just alot of people i know didnt start with nothing coming into this world. 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 47 of 82
cschick_old
Established Member

On a first date Cash or a Debit card. I want to know they've got the finances in order to have the cash in hand. Subsequent dates whatever credit card suits thier rewards/other benefit purposes.

FICO: Ex 782(AMEX)
Cards: Amex BCE(2500), Discover(2500), Target (500)
App'd Amex & Target Jul 2012, Gardening til 2013 or beyond
Goals: Visa or MC Rewards Card after first home (2014-2015)
Message 48 of 82
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

LOL it's funny b/c I actually dropped my credit card on the floor once...my CapOne card which happens to be black and the guy thought I had a Centurion card from Amex...I think he thought I was loaded because there was this LOOK. Ahaha. Like whoa buddy calm down...my limit's ONLY $750. LOL!

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 49 of 82
LionLaw
Frequent Contributor

@maiden_girl wrote:

LOL it's funny b/c I actually dropped my credit card on the floor once...my CapOne card which happens to be black and the guy thought I had a Centurion card from Amex...I think he thought I was loaded because there was this LOOK. Ahaha. Like whoa buddy calm down...my limit's ONLY $750. LOL!

It's funny you mention that... I got a Citi Diamond Preferred a few months back.  It's by no means the greatest card in the world, but it's black with a little holographic lettering, so it LOOKS like it's on par with the Centurion.  I always use it when I'm out with single ladies (on a date or otherwise), and a lot of the time I catch them doing a double take. 

Message 50 of 82
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.