tag
laz98
Senior Contributor

Re: What Gives GE

@Anonymous wrote:

@laz98 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
What reason do they give you?

I got into a knock-down drag-out fight with them once because they were putting retarded decline reasons on their ECOA notices.  They would say something like "Declined, unable to verify application data w/ credit report" when they pulled EQ even when the phone number was listed on the CR.  Then they would say that the problem was because the applicant didn't have their telephone listed under their name when courts have held that the ECOA does not require a phone in your name -- just a phone in your residence.

at least they give you a reason!  they gave me no reason at all.  geez!!!  Smiley Mad

None at all?  How's that?  When they decline a credit application they are required to provide an ECOA notice stating the reasons.

nope.  i got a letter alright, but it says i have to call or write if i want to know the reason(s).  what kind of crap is that???

Message 11 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@laz98 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@laz98 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
What reason do they give you?

I got into a knock-down drag-out fight with them once because they were putting retarded decline reasons on their ECOA notices.  They would say something like "Declined, unable to verify application data w/ credit report" when they pulled EQ even when the phone number was listed on the CR.  Then they would say that the problem was because the applicant didn't have their telephone listed under their name when courts have held that the ECOA does not require a phone in your name -- just a phone in your residence.

at least they give you a reason!  they gave me no reason at all.  geez!!!  Smiley Mad

None at all?  How's that?  When they decline a credit application they are required to provide an ECOA notice stating the reasons.

nope.  i got a letter alright, but it says i have to call or write if i want to know the reason(s).  what kind of crap is that???

You're right ... it is crazy.

I think also the ECOA might require that they actually give you the reasons upfront or tell you they are available upon request. 

Message 12 of 29
USC08
Frequent Contributor

anyone know if that backdoor # be used to request recon on sams club discover cli?

myFICO - EQ: 776 EX: 763 TU: 791
Message 13 of 29
bigtim
Frequent Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

Never give a cell phone number on a GEMB application, especially with a Wal-Mart app. Smiley Tongue

And now that so many people very sensibly use only cell phones, and no land lines, this is more and more of a problem.

Odd. All I have is a cell phone, and I have never been turned down by GEMB. I have:

Walmart

Lowes

Old Navy

Amazon

PayPal Mastercard

??? I guess I'm a lucky one! Smiley Happy

---------------------------------------------------------------
Recent Cards:
12/2012 - Discover (ICL 3,375 CLI to 5,375 05/2014)
12/2013 - Chase Freedom (ICL 3,500 ACLI to 4,500 07/2014)
03/2012 - Gander Mountain MC (WFNNB) 7,000 CL
04/2012 - Ace Rewards Visa (US Bank) 12,000 CL
Back to gardening for a year or two
Message 14 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

One trick I know always works with GEMB, if you get the 7-10 day notice instead of instant approval for no apparent reason, just give the GEMB underwriters a ring and get the matter sorted out ASAP (its usually that cell phone or address verification issue), or else you would either end-up with a denial or a super low-limit card.

Message 15 of 29
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@bigtim wrote:

Never give a cell phone number on a GEMB application, especially with a Wal-Mart app. Smiley Tongue

And now that so many people very sensibly use only cell phones, and no land lines, this is more and more of a problem.

Odd. All I have is a cell phone, and I have never been turned down by GEMB. I have:

Walmart

Lowes

Old Navy

Amazon

PayPal Mastercard

I'm glad, that means that they must have fixed this. There were numerous posts in the past about people being denied (and getting hit with a hard) because GEMB couldn't verify their address and/or existence if they used a cell phone. And then they wouldn't let you recon off the same app with a land line.

It was a terrible system, so it's a good thing that they've apparently addressed this.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 16 of 29
mross1080
Established Contributor

I only number I have listed on all my reports is my cell number and its under my wifes name and we dont even share the same last name and I have gotten several accounts with them. I did have one issue when I apped for the amazon card I got declined for unable to verify but a month later I was instant approved.

Message 17 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bigtim wrote:

Walmart

Lowes

Old Navy

Amazon

PayPal Mastercard

I'm glad, that means that they must have fixed this. There were numerous posts in the past about people being denied (and getting hit with a hard) because GEMB couldn't verify their address and/or existence if they used a cell phone. And then they wouldn't let you recon off the same app with a land line.

It was a terrible system, so it's a good thing that they've apparently addressed this.

They have NOT really addressed this. I have a DC cell phone number but I live atleast 35 miles away from DC in VA, and everytime I apply for a GEMB card they get startled Smiley Happy

Message 18 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I got my ppbc about two months ago I was instantly approved. All i have is a cell phone.

Message 19 of 29
laz98
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

When I got my ppbc about two months ago I was instantly approved. All i have is a cell phone.

me too.  i wonder why some people get hassled so much over it.

Message 20 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.