Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What I learned about report date.

tag
kshurika
Frequent Contributor

What I learned about report date.

My Discover balance reports on the 9th of each month. Last week, someone decided to buy some expensive tires online, using my Discover card. God knows how they got the account number. Discover rejected the charge and sent an email to me. After I called them, they shut the card down and FedExed a new one to me (with a new number, of course).

Today, I got an email from Experian that my Discover balance had reported as increasing by $638. A CSR explained to me that when a card is shut down and a new number issued, there is an immediate report to the CRAs. If I'd known that when I had spoken to the CSR about the fraudulent charge, I could have made a payment then that would have been reflected on the off-cycle report to the CRAs.

Live and learn.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What I learned about report date.

To my knowledge, Discover will report off-cycle if you ask nicely. Smiley Wink
Message 2 of 5
kshurika
Frequent Contributor

Yes, the CSR was very nice and offered to start an off-cycle report right then if I wanted to make a payment (which I didn't). But, I'll do it in a few days.
Message 3 of 5
Andypanda
Established Contributor

Unless you’re gonna app before the next time disco reports at the end of a billing cycle, no big deal.

Message 4 of 5
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Allowing $600 to report is not a big deal. Its actually good to let a balance report once inawhile as upon manual review by an UW they can see you have used a card whereas a steady stream of 0's shows them nothing, imo of course.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.