Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Store Cards are worth getting?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What Store Cards are worth getting?

Are there any store cards that are worth getting these days with sites like Ebates and Discover Deals? If so which ones? I see a lot of people get Kohl's and Macys. I read about them and they don't look all that great so if you have them please tell me what I am missing. Just trying to figure out what the benefit would be besides for people who are starting out. The one exception I see is Amazon Store Card. The 5% back is about as good as they come. Also... does FICO care if you have any? FICO doesn't know the diff between a $500 Macy's card and a $500 Visa correct?

Thanks all-and Merry Christmas! 🎄🎁 ⛄️ ❄️ 🎄
Message 1 of 44
43 REPLIES 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What Store Cards are worth getting?

Speaking of this: I just got the pop up for Overstock. Worth it? Is it as good as Amazon? I see you get some club O membership or something. Need to read up. Any info would be appreciated. Maybe I'll take it.

Also... why don't these SCT preapprovals come in the mail?
Message 2 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Now I think I lost it anyway. Can't get the pop up to come back. I wanted to see if it was the MC or Store and what the Limit/APR was. I don't think it was listed. You'd think you'd get it every time until you answer. I didn't click No or Yes. I closed my browser. Now I want it back!!!!! Lol
Message 3 of 44
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

In my opinion, if you have Amazon, Overstock is redundant. I almost would have gotten Overstock but when i saw how difficult it would be to ship where i live i didnt bite the bullet and am glad. Im sure many who have it are happy though.

My 2 favorite store cards are Pennies and Macys in that order. You can actually get great deals using your pennies card in conjuctuon with their specials etc so getting 30% off plus free shipping is nothing to sneeze at lol. Plus i always get my orders arrived pretty quickly with bith Macys and Pennys. As always, store cards are beauty in the eye of the beholder. I will ne er judge because wveryone has different tastes or needs. Yes Aprs are high but if you pif that dhouldnt be a problem. We all know Amazon is a great one so if you decide you want one pick one you know you will use not just because you can get itSmiley Happy
Message 4 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Speaking of this: I just got the pop up for Overstock. Worth it? Is it as good as Amazon? I see you get some club O membership or something. Need to read up. Any info would be appreciated. Maybe I'll take it.

Also... why don't these SCT preapprovals come in the mail?

As some who has the Overstock card, I can assure you that Overstock is nothing like Amazon.  The prices are ok but nothing special and you certainly do not have anywhere close to the variety of products and number of sellers as Amazon.  The Club O rewards are fine and if you acquire enough you can use them to purchase items but you have to pay a small price to join the 'club' each year.  In short, Overstock is so so with the best part being 0% financing offers but it isn't anything special.

Message 5 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

As for useful store cards, the home improvement cards Home Depot and Lowes can be very useful at times.

Message 6 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

I love my Amazon. It's my most used are for sure. I also like Overstock & Wayfait just for the financing options. The only one I want is Von Maur. It's a higher end dept store but their card never charges interest and the limit is "floating" in a sense. They also do their own financing. I've applied for it and am waiting to hear back.
Message 7 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Try clearing cookies and cashe
Message 8 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Amazon is pretty good for the 5% cashback or financing on larger purchases (if you need it). The other stores really depends on how much you buy at those certain stores.

Message 9 of 44
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

My most useful store card, at a time when I didn't have many majors and the couple I did have had extremely tiny limits, was Walmart.  It was one of first cards to reach a $5k limit in a relatively short period of time.  It allowed me to purchase groceries, prescriptions, household goods, eye care, minor repairs to my car, purchase fuel at Murphy, and as an added bonus it was accepted at Sam's Club where I could purchase other goods and services along with their fuel as well.  I know many may not care for Walmart, but for me, during my time of rebuilding, it was the most universal card I had that allowed me to purchase most of the daily essentials I needed as well as tires, fuel, and regular maintainence for my vehicle.  My local Wal-Mart and Sam's Club were next door to each other so I really didn't have to drive out of my way. 

When you're working with a couple of $500-$1000 Visa cards...Walmart was such a huge help for me because I could get most things I needed without having a card reporting a maxed out balanced all the time. 

Best of luck in whatever card you choose to go with...

Message 10 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.