Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Store Cards are worth getting?

tag
thom02099
Valued Contributor

Re: What Store Cards are worth getting?

Worth is always subjective.  What one person finds useful, another may find as useless.  If you apply for a card, it must have had a benefit that you found useful...to you.  Whether it's a store card or a general credit/charge card, this is applicable.  

Many folks find home improvement store cards as useful.  They can provide various incentives, that a general credit card may not offer.  Lowes, for example, can offer a 5% discount off a purchase price, or financing for XX number of months at 0% interest.  This is useful for big ticket purchases, say, buying all of your appliances at one place for a kitchen remodel.  This can easily run $5000-$7000 or more, and a 5% discount could be a big deal, or financing it for 24 months with 0% interest if paid off within the timeframe. 

Message 11 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe I was not clear-I have the Amazon card already. It's my only store Card. Just been thinking of Overstock since I am a member of the Club O-and can double it with Ebates... but I've always been sort of scared of store cards. Never wanted them. But I see ppl get them so I thought maybe I should have 2 or 3. Just was wondering what ones are good deals. IMO most you don't benefit from. I like the cards that have the 0% for large purchase items. They come in handy when you want to buy something and are waiting for a paycheck or a tax return or something like that. Other than that my other cards get me good cash back.

Thx for the replies. Average Joe-especially your info on JCP. That's the kind of info I was looking for. Smiley Happy
Message 12 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Are there any store cards that are worth getting these days with sites like Ebates and Discover Deals? If so which ones? I see a lot of people get Kohl's and Macys. I read about them and they don't look all that great so if you have them please tell me what I am missing. Just trying to figure out what the benefit would be besides for people who are starting out. The one exception I see is Amazon Store Card. The 5% back is about as good as they come. Also... does FICO care if you have any? FICO doesn't know the diff between a $500 Macy's card and a $500 Visa correct?

Thanks all-and Merry Christmas! 🎄🎁 ⛄️ ❄️ 🎄

I have several store cards, but they serve my needs, so I'm happy with the ones I have, and Kohl's and Macy's are included in that mix.  If a card doesn't serve you're needs, then there is no point in applying for it.  I have a JCrew card that has a limit of $18k and while I'll never use that much, I do shop there and like that having  this liimit provides an extra cushion regarding my utilization. 

Merry Xmas to you too. 

Message 13 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

I actually like kohls do all of my daughter's shopping there the coupons are nice
Message 14 of 44
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

IMO, there isn't a whole lot of difference between deciding whether a store card is worth getting vs choosing among credit cards.

So, if I never shop at store X, their card probably isn't worth getting, in the same way as if I don't fly, getting an airline card isn't going to useful (ignoring utilization padding nonsense!)     If I do shop at store X, and the card gives worthwhile discounts, reward programs, special access sale events etc that I can use and find valuable, then they can be a better choice than a less tailored credit card (and I could have both).

The one caveat: with a store card, consider alternatives, such as discounted gift cards.  So the Target (debit or credit) card gives 5% off, free shipping and extended returns.   However, it's pretty easy to pick up Target gift cards at ~10% off, and shipping is anyway free if you spend enough etc.   In other cases there may be no worthwhile alternative, and the store card is the way to go.

Message 15 of 44
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Try clearing cookies and cashe

Going incognito works for me as well. 

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 16 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

The only store cards I would probably consider are:

-Amazon
-Macys

You really can save a ton at Macys when using their card it's crazy!
Message 17 of 44
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
The only store cards I would probably consider are:

-Amazon
-Macys

You really can save a ton at Macys when using their card it's crazy!

Amazon card will be good for those who will be losing their Sallie Mae soon.. Like myself.

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 18 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Seems Amazon, Macy's, and Kohl's are the ones ppl like. I don't shop at Kohls and have Amazon. Macy's I'll have to see what the rewards are like. Probably will just stick with what I have. Thx for the replies
Message 19 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a Fleet Farm Visa.. Though mine can be used elsewhere, I use it strictly at Fleet Farm for 4% back as store gift card.. They are just down the road and sell everything from peanuts to tractor tires.. They're also the only place around town that sells mid grade fuel that's ethanol free. @4% back, thats a $25 gift card for every $625 I spend there...about every month and a half on gas alone.
Message 20 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.