cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Was The First Credit Card In Your Name?

tag
fused
Moderator Emeritus

What Was The First Credit Card In Your Name?

Mine was a regular Sears card (at least I think it was a regular card) back in 95'. My first purchase was a brand new Compaq desktop.
Message 1 of 143
142 REPLIES 142
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What Was The First Credit Card In Your Name?

Long Long go and Far far away (1980)  I had a Visa.  First card while in the military back when they would ask your parents name on the app.  Got married and let my files go dormant...Smiley Sad  Coulda used that 7 years ago.
Message 2 of 143
coachhenson
Regular Contributor

The summer of '92 right before college I got an Associates Visa in the mail with a $500 limit.  That was when they still sent you cards in the mail without applying.  I had no idea what it was and my older sister found out and asked for a loan...what a mistake.  The only cash advance I have or will EVER take off of a credit card.

I was so excited the first time I used it on a date with my future wife that I didn't even sign the slip at Applebee's, either.  Those were the days.

Message Edited by coachhenson on 12-09-2007 05:59 PM
Message 3 of 143
Anonymous
Not applicable

My very first card was Macy's, it had a $100 limit and I maxed it out on a pair of shoes right on the spot.Smiley Very Happy This was in 97.

Hmmm....maybe I should reopen that.
Message 4 of 143
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think this card was issued by Citi.  I really believe that, back then they would run your parents credit report because they would ask for names nd adresses.  Even though I was emancipated by way of being active duty military, no way did I deserve a 3k limit at 17...lol!!!  Especially back when money was worth something.  Can't tell you how many chow hall meals I ate to pay that off.  Soured me on any kind of credit for a looong time!
Message 5 of 143
CreditJunkie
Valued Member

I worked for Macy's back in 2002 when I was 18, they gave me a 1500 store card which I still have.
Message 6 of 143
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Texaco gas card opened in 1987; closed like idiots in 2004 (stuff gets stolen from our mail box.) This was joint.

First card in only my name: Profitt's department store card, 2000. I only shop dept stores at Christmas, so I never bothered to use it, and closed it in 2002.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 7 of 143
moonman
Frequent Contributor

back in 1985 while shopping at Montgomery wards(a family tradition store) a lady at a table asked me to apply for credit(life was very simple back then) and i said what the heck. i got approved for 800.00 limit and what did i do next? bought a casio keyboard my girlfriend at the time chewed me out for buying(thanks to her i got educated really fast about credit).
Message 8 of 143
Anonymous
Not applicable

fused wrote:
Mine was a regular Sears card (at least I think it was a regular card) back in 95'. My first purchase was a brand new Compaq desktop.

Wow, mine was Strawbridge and Clothier wayyyyy back in 1986 when I was 20!!!
Message 9 of 143
coachhenson
Regular Contributor

I would like to ask my parents this question...they both used to have the original credit card wallet back in the late seventies/early eighties when I was a kid and they both looked like accordians when they pulled them out.  I remember the old credit card machine that carbon copied everything.
Message 10 of 143
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.