Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What a MESS with Discover!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What a MESS with Discover!

I find it funny how some people have trouble with one bank and others don't. My experience with Discover when I applied was great. They gave me a $6.5k SL and also gave me a a good APR 13.24 ( I think). When my account was 60 days old they gave me an automatic CLI to $8.5k. I just recieved another icrease taking me to $12.5k. 

American Express on the other hand only gave me a $2k SL and when I called to ask why they just said I don't know, but you can ask for an increase in 60 days. My APR is decent though at 13.24% after the 0% period. I don't care as much about the APR because i PIF all my cards. I guess I'll just have to wait and see how Am EX treats me over the next year, but right now Discover is my favorite card.

Message 21 of 36
orl2185
Established Contributor

I'm basically in the same boat when my account was established and had a  high APR. But the 12 month 0 interest sort of balanced it out.

Message 22 of 36
Open123
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
do APRs really matter to those who PIF? no. but does a high APR still piss you off? usually. why not go lower if you can. it's not like people ask to get a higher APR.

Except in general all interactions are noted, and can play in to "Is this a profitable customer?"   I would rather save interactions for things that I really need, rather than lowering a figure that has no impact to me.

+1

Unless I'm planning to carry a balance, I couldn't care less if the APR is 5% or 100%.  Even if I miss a payment, every Issuer has always waived any potential penalty and/or late fee.  Even if a Lender offers me a lower APR, unless it's 0, I won't even bother signing up. 

Message 23 of 36
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Geez this is not how I expected my Friday to go dealing with credit cards.

So I decided to apply last night for the Discover It card and was approved for 2K.  Wasn't sure what my APR was but wanted to call today and find out.  I thought the SL was a little low but it was fine as I knew it would grow over time. Well I spoke with a manager who told me the APR was 23.24 and I was like WHAT???  I told her that I had gotten invitations in the mail at my old address 2-3 times a week and the invitations say my APR would be 13.24-16.24.   Last night when I applied, I didn't used the invitation because I was afraid it was gonna be tied to my old address and didn't wanna cause an issue with anything.

The manager tells me that since she couldn't change the APR on my current "approved" card that she could withdraw the application and it wouldn't show up at all on my credit report because it had not went all the way through their system yet.  She said I should apply using the invitiation because my APR should fall between the numbers quoted but that I would prolly get another HP from it.

Well I told her that I didn't mind the HP since it would be getting me a better APR that I could work with and thanked her and hung up.   Well I do the application using the invitation and low and behold it's NOT approved!  740 EQ and 748 EX with ZERO negatives or collections on my reports.  I was like "what is going on right now"

Called back and spoke to another manager that told me that it was probably declined because of the other application still technically in the system but she wasnt sure.

So basically at the end of all of this, she told me that could reinstate the first application and send out the card with the high APR.   After the 12 month 0% APR, she said that I could call and see if they can lower it.

I know that the limits grow nicely on the card as long as you treat them right so I wasn't worried about the 2K SL.   I just can't believe the APR on this card now.  It's like the APR's I used to get when I started out my credit journey.

Sorry for the rant but the thought of a possible 2 HP's each on EQ and EX for a 23.24 APR card makes my head hurt!

Guess I shoulda picked Amex and left Discover for my 2017 goals.

It's so incredibly easy to decrease APRs with Discover. If this is your worry, then it's not a worry.. so long as your credit continues to be good, then you will have no trouble getting this lowered to 10.99% eventually.

Message 24 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yea i understand.  The process was just whacky and felt like I was end up with 10 applications and 47 hp's before it was all said and done.

I'll treat the card well and do what I supposed to do and just see how everything goes from there.

Message 25 of 36
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
when you said the new app got declined i knew it was because of previous approval. TBH if you wait out the 0% period they will lower your APR after a year. granted i know it sucks knowing you have "starter credit" APR but, the way i see it, you have two options:
1) either fight with them and (likely) get your way and a 16.24% after some time
2) stick to your original approval and get an APR reduction probably to 20% or something because it'll be forgotten about

Winner.  Your score will grow with less apps and utilization at 4%.  Mine did.  When you get over 780, even cap one reduces apr Smiley Wink.

Signature needs updating
Message 26 of 36
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
do APRs really matter to those who PIF? no. but does a high APR still piss you off? usually. why not go lower if you can. it's not like people ask to get a higher APR.

Except in general all interactions are noted, and can play in to "Is this a profitable customer?"   I would rather save interactions for things that I really need, rather than lowering a figure that has no impact to me.

But, I love lowering amex apr, it is so easy.  Smiley Tongue

Signature needs updating
Message 27 of 36
darwin_wins
Established Contributor

Why would the APR matter? Unless you are planning to carry a balance?
Message 28 of 36
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@darwin_wins wrote:
Why would the APR matter? Unless you are planning to carry a balance?

Because, an unexpected emergency could come up.  I am apping for mortgage, but if one of cats have emergency, or moi, it's nice to have short term interest at below 10.5%. JMHO.

Signature needs updating
Message 29 of 36
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

American Express on the other hand only gave me a $2k SL and when I called to ask why they just said I don't know, but you can ask for an increase in 60 days. My APR is decent though at 13.24% after the 0% period. I don't care as much about the APR because i PIF all my cards. I guess I'll just have to wait and see how Am EX treats me over the next year, but right now Discover is my favorite card.

AMEX routinely starts folks out with low limits. $2k is rather good. But an AMEX CLI is, without a doubt, the easiest for the cardholder to grow. Search here for and read up on the AMEX 3X CLI thread. It's a definite timeframe and set of steps to get that $2k limit to significantly more.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 30 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.