cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are BofA’s Rules about Reallocating Limits?

tag
Curious_George2
Valued Contributor

What are BofA’s Rules about Reallocating Limits?

Title sums up my question, but here's more context.

I have two cards with BofA. I'm considering reallocating limits between them so I can test some FICO stuff. I've seen a few threads from the past two years that indicate this can be done easily with a phone call.

My issue is that I hope to do multiple small (1k at a time) moves, with as little as a month or two between them. Setting aside the sheer oddity of my plan, does anyone know if there are any rules I risk tripping over?

I'm not afraid of them closing my accounts over this. Probably the worst that happens is they no. But my testing process will be different if, for example, I'm only allowed one reallocation every 12 months. 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
ficosuave
Contributor

Re: What are BofA’s Rules about Reallocating Limits?

Not exactly the same thing, but a relative just last week tried for a CLI online. BofA ended up shifting a bit from one card to the other rather than granting an outright CLI. So yesterday they called in and had the limit shifted back. It was just 2K from one to the other and back. But there didn't seem to be any problem getting it done, and the limits were updated immediately.

Message 2 of 7
Trikoret
Contributor

I've done it in the past. It's a soft pull. No idea what would happen if you keep doing it.

Message 3 of 7
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Curious_George2 wrote:

Title sums up my question, but here's more context.

I have two cards with BofA. I'm considering reallocating limits between them so I can test some FICO stuff. I've seen a few threads from the past two years that indicate this can be done easily with a phone call.

My issue is that I hope to do multiple small (1k at a time) moves, with as little as a month or two between them. Setting aside the sheer oddity of my plan, does anyone know if there are any rules I risk tripping over?

I'm not afraid of them closing my accounts over this. Probably the worst that happens is they no. But my testing process will be different if, for example, I'm only allowed one reallocation every 12 months. 

What "FICO stuff" are you expecting to test given the "sheer oddity" of such small $1K reallocations? 

There aren't any explicit rules known to us since reallocations are fairly straightforward (i.e. SP), but is there a possibility someone may examine or scrutinize your frequent requests more closely? Only BOA knows 🤷‍♂️

Message 4 of 7
Curious_George2
Valued Contributor

I hope to find the threshold(s) where EQ5 and TU4 start disregarding a card for AZEO and Util purposes. 

Message 5 of 7
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Curious_George2 wrote:

I hope to find the threshold(s) where EQ5 and TU4 start disregarding a card for AZEO and Util purposes. 

It's somewhere greater than $50k and lower than $100k for utilization.  I did an enormous YOLO BT early last year that caused my mortgage scores to actually go way up.  Not sure about AZEO, as I'm usually in the AZE23or24 camp from regular usage.

There shouldn't be an issue with moving them around every month or so.  When you call, you'll be sent over to a senior credit analyst.  As long as there's nothing nefarious going on with your reports or accounts, they are very pleasant and helpful and I have been encouraged in the past to call and shift limits around as my needs change.

Message 6 of 7
Curious_George2
Valued Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@Curious_George2 wrote:

It's somewhere greater than $50k and lower than $100k for utilization.  I did an enormous YOLO BT early last year that caused my mortgage scores to actually go way up.  Not sure about AZEO, as I'm usually in the AZE23or24 camp from regular usage.

There shouldn't be an issue with moving them around every month or so.  When you call, you'll be sent over to a senior credit analyst.  As long as there's nothing nefarious going on with your reports or accounts, they are very pleasant and helpful and I have been encouraged in the past to call and shift limits around as my needs change.

Very helpful. Thank you!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.