cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are elligible purchases to earn Amex Delta Gold Skymiles?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What are elligible purchases to earn Amex Delta Gold Skymiles?

Hello, I have just recently been approved for an Amex D.G. card,( which I've wanted for quite sometime now and was very excited to get approved)! However I am new to Skymiles and was wondering A. how to obtain them B. get the 30k bonus as advertised? What are "elligible purchase"? Thanks for any help!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What are elligible purchases to earn Amex Delta Gold Skymiles?

Any spend counted towards my 30K bonus and I received the mile credit well before my first statement cut today [Edited to add - total 1K spend needed for 30K miles].  The additional $50 credit has to be a Delta purchase, so I was fortunate enough to have a flight with Delta earlier this month and I purchased a meal in-flight.  That garnered the statement credit and the 20% off of the purchase.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

A. You obtain the Skymiles by everyday purchases.

B.Depends on your offer, but for a low offer of 30k, it probably says you get those after your first purchase with the card or after spending a $1k in a month.

I've had everything from the Gold to Platinum Delta Amex and currently have both the business and personal Reserve card, which I don't recommend unless you travel in Delta... A lot. Skymiles have gotten a pretty bad rap in the frequent flyer community these last few years due to many "devaluations". A lot of people are moving frequent flyer programs because of this, however I don't think it's that bad... Yet.

I would highly recommend checking out flyertalk.com and following the Delta Skymiles forum there if you want to maximize the use of your earned miles. Granted with business expenses it is a little easier for us to accrue miles, but i essentially get two free business class tickets to anywhere every year (120,000 Skymiles per ticket) and these would usually cost upwards of $4k of $5k.

Good luck!
Message 3 of 7
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

That should have been part of your research before applying.  For any card with any creditor such info is on the site for the card.  For the Delta Gold Skymiles you can go to: 

https://www304.americanexpress.com/credit-card/delta-skymiles?linknav=us-ccsg-cardshop-cm-viewallcar...

Earn Miles
Earn miles redeemable on Delta and more than 15 partner airlines. Earn one mile for every eligible dollar you spend.‡

Follow the ‡ to the link to the Benefit Terms lower down on that page. That link leads to this page which provides the details https://www304.americanexpress.com/personal-card-application/member/terms/delta-gold-credit-card/361...

Make sure you carefully research and understand before applying for anything.  Read the terms.  If you need help or clarification then definitely ask but do so before applying -- not after.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great advice, thank you!

Message 5 of 7
taxi818
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
A. You obtain the Skymiles by everyday purchases.

B.Depends on your offer, but for a low offer of 30k, it probably says you get those after your first purchase with the card or after spending a $1k in a month.

I've had everything from the Gold to Platinum Delta Amex and currently have both the business and personal Reserve card, which I don't recommend unless you travel in Delta... A lot. Skymiles have gotten a pretty bad rap in the frequent flyer community these last few years due to many "devaluations". A lot of people are moving frequent flyer programs because of this, however I don't think it's that bad... Yet.

I would highly recommend checking out flyertalk.com and following the Delta Skymiles forum there if you want to maximize the use of your earned miles. Granted with business expenses it is a little easier for us to accrue miles, but i essentially get two free business class tickets to anywhere every year (120,000 Skymiles per ticket) and these would usually cost upwards of $4k of $5k.

Good luck!

Not exactly. it is 30k spend 1k in 3 months. just that easy. not a month.  any referals. will get you another 5k miles for each one. but if you really want to rack up the miles. go to delta skymiles .com. sign up with your card. instead of getting 1 mile per dollar as you get. you will get anywhere between 2 miles per dollar to 35 miles per dollar if you purchase thru the delta portal. besides the 30k sign up bonus. in other words. i had same thing as you. and when i got first statement. i was already at 44k miles. from day 1. good luck.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Right on, thanks guys! I take it that an everyday purchase could be McDonald's or Walmart? How long do the points take to add on my account so i can see them?

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.