cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are my chances for Discover It.

tag
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

Re: What are my chances for Discover It.

@CredittotheMax wrote:

You can always recon. 

It's not easy to recon with Discover.

Message 11 of 23
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 12 of 23
enharu
Super Contributor

Recon doesn't ever mean guaranteed approval either, even for Chase.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 13 of 23
missjakk

I have been reading the forums and I recently did an app spree. I applied for five cards, got approved for four, discover it was one of them i was approved for, and actually my highest credit limit of all my cc's.

Someone stated they do not like baddies, I am not so sure about that, or maybe I am not all that versed on what a baddie is, but I had several late payments on cards, two of them 120 days late (horrible i know, but i was young then), but those are 4 years old right now. I guess what did things for me, was the fact that I had paid off ALL of my credit cards (all of them opened, and closed) and my scores were on avg across the board 650.. So i would say keep hope alive, you just may get approved, I was actually suprised I was, and then to see the amount as well. 

Message 14 of 23
CredittotheMax
Frequent Contributor

I'm just saying recon will at least give you a chance. 

$5k$4.5k$2.8k$8k$500
FICO = EQ: 786 (1/15) TU:774 (2/15) EX: 767 (2/15)
Message 15 of 23
Succeedin2
Established Member

I agree with the others but I was taught not to apply unless I am almost sure I will be approved. Two weeks ago I was approved for Discover it my score at the time was 700 they sent it attached with your limit. I had one credit card that thank God reports that I actually used an old offer to transfer the balance and my car payment is with Chase. I had no other credit but I don't think they like negative items personally I would clear them up then apply. Credit karma showed it as a offer with my chances being good I expected to be approved for 3-5k I was approved for 13k.
Message 16 of 23
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

@missjakk wrote:

I have been reading the forums and I recently did an app spree. I applied for five cards, got approved for four, discover it was one of them i was approved for, and actually my highest credit limit of all my cc's.

Someone stated they do not like baddies, I am not so sure about that, or maybe I am not all that versed on what a baddie is, but I had several late payments on cards, two of them 120 days late (horrible i know, but i was young then), but those are 4 years old right now. I guess what did things for me, was the fact that I had paid off ALL of my credit cards (all of them opened, and closed) and my scores were on avg across the board 650.. So i would say keep hope alive, you just may get approved, I was actually suprised I was, and then to see the amount as well. 

I would disagree you situation is totally different.  Even you said that they were almost 4 yrs old and when his are very recent so on fico scoring your baddie holds less weight on your score than his.  Your scores are also almost 100 points higher.  Why waste a HP when his chances are slim to none even with recon.  Plus I am sure that his Aaoa is lower than yours can't be sure because he never gave that info.  Like someone said wait like 6 months to a yr. and see your scores are then.  You should only apply if you feel your chances are good, according to most peoples opinion that is not the case.

Message 17 of 23
NewtoCredit80
Frequent Contributor

Best advice would be to wait for 4-6 months and have your CapOne report a good payment history.

One HP is not going to kill your FICO score. In case you are not approved and even recon does not work then atleast you would know why Discover is rejecting you.

PNC Secured 2000 (Dec12), Chase Amazon 2000 (Apr13), CapOne Newcomer 2500 (May13), Citi dividend 3000 (May13), Discover IT 1000 (Jul13), Amex BCP 6000 (Jul13), Chase Southwest 10000 (Jul13), Chase Marriott 12000 (Oct 13), BofA Travel Rewards 5000 (Dec13)

- In garden till Dec 2014
Message 18 of 23
qd
Regular Contributor

I'm not the OP, but I wish I would have listened to the advice given re: Discover IT.  I applied and was denied instantly yesterday.  I called recon number and was told it was due to public record on my report.  It was 2 HP with them pulling both EX & EQ.  EQ does not show the public record, but EX does.  It is satisfied and from 2009.  I got overly excited with my scores going up so much in recent months that I thought I had a chance.  They also said too many new accounts recently and I suspect this is what sealed the deal for me. I have 7 INQ on EX and 10 on EQ with 4 new accounts opened two months ago.  It is hard to stay in the garden, but I think a freeze is in order for me for at least the next six months...enjoy the auto CLIs I get and stay patient...lesson learned.

Time to work on that public record removal Smiley Mad

Message 19 of 23
gettingthere2013
Contributor

@qd wrote:

I'm not the OP, but I wish I would have listened to the advice given re: Discover IT.  I applied and was denied instantly yesterday.  I called recon number and was told it was due to public record on my report.  It was 2 HP with them pulling both EX & EQ.  EQ does not show the public record, but EX does.  It is satisfied and from 2009.  I got overly excited with my scores going up so much in recent months that I thought I had a chance.  They also said too many new accounts recently and I suspect this is what sealed the deal for me. I have 7 INQ on EX and 10 on EQ with 4 new accounts opened two months ago.  It is hard to stay in the garden, but I think a freeze is in order for me for at least the next six months...enjoy the auto CLIs I get and stay patient...lesson learned.

Time to work on that public record removal Smiley Mad

Did you pull your scores located in your Sig from Myfico?

MYFICO SCORES: 06/2013 = 697 (TU) - 06/2013 = 685 (EQ) - 06/2013 = 666 (EX)

Capital One Quicksilver $2500 (07/2013) Walmart Credit Card $550 (06/2013) Barclaycard Rewards $1300 (06/2013) Chase Freedom $1500 (06/3013) Chase Amazon $500 (7/2013) TTCU $2500 (7/2013)
Jcrew $650 (06/2013) Express $500 (06/2013) Victoria Secret $350 (06/2013) Macys $300 (08/2013) Phillips 66 CU $6000 (08/2013) Capital One Venture $5000 (10/2013) Discover IT $1000 (10/2013) Chase Disney $1500 (10/2013)

DENIED: BOFA Unsecured (06/2013, EX)

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.