cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are my chances of a Cap One Journey Card approval?

tag
Nadar
Established Member

What are my chances of a Cap One Journey Card approval?

I had applied for a Cap One Journey card last month and they had asked me for proof of my income. 

I am an International student and I get most of my money from home. I just started working on-campus which pays pay just around 9 dollars per hour. Given the number of hours I work I would hardly make around 400 to 500 per month (around 5 to 6k per year)  and depend on money from home for the rest of my expenses. But Cap One people were like money from home can't be considered as income.

What do you think are the chances of my Journey card being approved? Though I was asked to send only my proof of income, do you think sending them other stuff like my home country bank statement, proof of university enrollment, tuition fee e-bill will help my case? Discover had asked me for my university documents which I had uploaded online to get my student card approved. My credit report is still non existent as my new Discover card will not report at least for one more month. Kindly let me know how I should approach cap one recon analysts. I really don't want to waste a credit inquiry.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Iorek
Contributor

Re: What are my chances of a Cap One Journey Card approval?

It's definitely worth a shot. Send them all the documentation you have, with a nice note explaining how each document relates to your overall income picture. Personal touches are always nice. I had to do something similar, as my income at the time of my application came from several sources. The worst they can do is say the proof is insufficient.

With no credit history yet and a small provable income, it's a shot in the dark imo. Since you already took the inquiry, might as well do all you can to increase your chances of getting the card. 

Amex BCE ($15k), TE ($5k), BoA BBR ($600), Cash Rewards ($600), Barclays Sallie Mae ($6k), CapOne Quicksilver ($4k), Chase Freedom ($5.8k), CSP ($11k), Marriott (9k), IHG (12k), DCU ($6k), Discover IT ($6.5k)
TU - 4 INQ, EX - 7 INQ, EQ - 3 INQ
Gardening since 06/25/14.
Message 2 of 5
colinstu
Regular Contributor

Give them scans of pay stubs? How long have you been working? 

FICOs: TU 775 | EQ 784 | EX 773
Amex BCE $15,000 | Discover IT $11,600 | Chase Freedom $7,000 (Visa Sig) | Citi DoubleCash $6,000 (WEMC) | Chase AARP $6,000 | Barclaycard CashForward $4,000 | Barclaycard Rewards $2,000 | Capital One Quicksilver $1,750
Message 3 of 5
Nadar
Established Member

Thank you for your reply. My first payroll date is like 2 weeks away. But cap one gave me a deadline and wanted my proof before that. Moreover my first pay stub would hardly show around 200 dollars. Can I show my foreign bank account statement which has around 16k dollars in it. Also is there a way that I can make them give me a low limit on the Journey card, say 300 dollars or so and increase my credit line as days go by?
Message 4 of 5
Iorek
Contributor

@Nadar wrote:
Thank you for your reply. My first payroll date is like 2 weeks away. But cap one gave me a deadline and wanted my proof before that. Moreover my first pay stub would hardly show around 200 dollars. Can I show my foreign bank account statement which has around 16k dollars in it. Also is there a way that I can make them give me a low limit on the Journey card, say 300 dollars or so and increase my credit line as days go by?

Do you have documentation stating what your paycheck is going to be? If so, include that. Call them and ask if you can get the deadline pushed back if you think it will help.

Most likely, if they approve you it will already be for something low like that. I started out at $500, and I think that's fairly common. They have a program called Credit Steps where you get a CLI if you meet certain conditions (essentially making sure to make payments on time). So if you are approved your credit line will increase at least once, and Capital One lately is starting to get more generous with giving out increases after that.

Amex BCE ($15k), TE ($5k), BoA BBR ($600), Cash Rewards ($600), Barclays Sallie Mae ($6k), CapOne Quicksilver ($4k), Chase Freedom ($5.8k), CSP ($11k), Marriott (9k), IHG (12k), DCU ($6k), Discover IT ($6.5k)
TU - 4 INQ, EX - 7 INQ, EQ - 3 INQ
Gardening since 06/25/14.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.