cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are my chances of getting an PenFed Platinum Rewards?

tag
Isacking97
Regular Contributor

What are my chances of getting an PenFed Platinum Rewards?

16k income

752 FICO uti 11% (2k balance)

Already have a car loan with them (3.99% - 3y)

If you have other card to recommend I'm all ears!! 

Im looking for a low interest card with rewards

Ps: I have received offer my mail for the card (It's a good bet?) 

Starting Score:EX: 713 EQ: 698
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: What are my chances of getting an PenFed Platinum Rewards?

Your score seems definitely in the range, however Penfed is very DTI driven.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 17
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

From your profile, id be willing to bet Penfed likes you since you dont have too many cards. Like said, Penfed loves dti like its the second coming of Turbo TaxSmiley Wink.

My recommendation would be to apply. Its magical as ir allows you to see if they will approve you or notSmiley Wink
Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

At $16K income, I would be pretty shocked if PenFed approves you for anything higher than $500, if at all. They don’t really like low income earners. If Navy Federal is an option, I would go there instead. Otherwise maybe look into Langley FCU. They seem to be friendly to low income.
Message 4 of 17
Isacking97
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
At $16K income, I would be pretty shocked if PenFed approves you for anything higher than $500, if at all. They don’t really like low income earners. If Navy Federal is an option, I would go there instead. Otherwise maybe look into Langley FCU. They seem to be friendly to low income.

I have 2 cards with over 15k credit limits plus the car loan (8k) not that big of a deal!! 

Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Isacking97 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I have 2 cards with over 15k credit limits plus the car loan (8k) not that big of a deal!! 

I'm telling you that PenFed doesn't like to give large credit cards to low income earners. I am at $18K myself and I agree that large limits aren't a problem for some issuers but PenFed isn't one of them that's known for their generosity with us. 

Message 6 of 17
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@Isacking97 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Penfed looks very closely at your DTI and your overall credit lines versus your income and that is a big deal to them.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 7 of 17
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
From your profile, id be willing to bet Penfed likes you since you dont have too many cards. Like said, Penfed loves dti like its the second coming of Turbo TaxSmiley Wink.

My recommendation would be to apply. Its magical as ir allows you to see if they will approve you or notSmiley Wink

You have a 3 year history with them and already hold 2 other cards with CL > $5K so I think you have a realistic shot.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 8 of 17
Isacking97
Regular Contributor

@Jnbmom wrote:

@Isacking97 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Penfed looks very closely at your DTI and your overall credit lines versus your income and that is a big deal to them.

My DTI is around 30%

Credit limits

AMEX 1 - 800/17200 (Card always pay in full)

AMEX 2 - 75/1000 (Card always pay in full)

DISCOVER - 1200/15900 (Balance - 0% APR)

VISA - 70/600 (Card always pay in full)

Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Go for it. You don't have anything to lose except a hard pull. 

Just keep your expectations in check. 30% DTI is high when it comes to most CUs, even NFCU is known to shoot low limits to start with when you're past 25% although they grow quickly once you prove you can handle them. PenFed is known to be more conservative with their UW as can be seen from how many members of this forum have had issues with them. They shot me down last September for new accounts - I had three new ones I picked up in March and one of them was already closed. I wouldn't even bother now that I've added 9 more. 

You may well get lucky and get the right UW at the right time and turn conventional wisdom on its head, it's happened before. Credit is always YMMV. 

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.