Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are the best rewards cards for entertainment purchases

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What are the best rewards cards for entertainment purchases

Most of my entertainment purchase go towards sports tickets and movie tickets. What are the best cards for earning points/cash in this category?  I’m a MR ecosystem guy right now but willing to dip into UR or something else if it’s worth it for these purchases which come out to about $4k a year. Thanks!

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What are the best rewards cards for entertainment purchases

Idk if I agree with my suggestion or input. But, isn’t the savor a good card for that option?
Message 2 of 12
imaximous
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Most of my entertainment purchase go towards sports tickets and movie tickets. What are the best cards for earning points/cash in this category?  I’m a MR ecosystem guy right now but willing to dip into UR or something else if it’s worth it for these purchases which come out to about $4k a year. Thanks!

If you go with the Savor, you get 4% back ($160 on $4k) but there's a $95 fee after the first year. The no annual fee Savor would get you 3% or $120.

I'd be more inclined to stay with MRs if already heavily invested. Not sure what cards you already have, but I'd use or get a card like the Blue Business Plus for 2x MRs on everything since I don't think there's another AMEX with an entertainment bonus category. 

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi.  Thanks for the tip.  I have Amex rose gold and just got BBP for non bonus spending.  I was pretty sure Amex didn't offer any bonus for entertainment.  The Savor card is a good option but I already have the Venture One and Quicksilver One and I believe you can only have two Cap 1 cards at the same time.  I could probably cancel the Quicksilver One and get the Savor, pick up the sign up bonus, use it for entertainment for a year, then when it's time to pay the $95 fee downgrade to the Savor One and sock drawer it probably.  Or just stick with my 2x on BBP.  Decisions, decisions!

Thanks!

Message 4 of 12
imaximous
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi.  Thanks for the tip.  I have Amex rose gold and just got BBP for non bonus spending.  I was pretty sure Amex didn't offer any bonus for entertainment.  The Savor card is a good option but I already have the Venture One and Quicksilver One and I believe you can only have two Cap 1 cards at the same time.  I could probably cancel the Quicksilver One and get the Savor, pick up the sign up bonus, use it for entertainment for a year, then when it's time to pay the $95 fee downgrade to the Savor One and sock drawer it probably.  Or just stick with my 2x on BBP.  Decisions, decisions!

Thanks!

I'd think you're pretty much set with Amex then. Adding another card just for entertainment would only dilute your earnings. 

Side note, I'd try to PC either Cap One card to a Savor One (when PC becomes available) or regular Quicksilver, and combine them. The Venture One at 1.25x is a silly card when the Quicksilver offers 1.5%. I don't even know why it still exists. If you combine them, you also open up a spot for another Cap One branded card IF you still want one. Personally, I wouldn't get another card, but simply PC, combine limits and call it a day with Cap One. 

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great advice that I never thought of.  How do I find out when PC becomes available to me?  Also, Venture One is points based where for travel the points are worth $.01 each for travel and $.05 for cash back while my Quicksilver One it's strictly cash back at 1.5%.  Can they even be combined given different payout methods?  The main reason I like Venture One is the 10x points when booking hotels through hotels.com.  Just got almost 20,000 pts for a stay!  Venture One is free and with the 10x it makes sense to keep it and use it for all hotel stays...right?  Also, wouldn't I be better off canceling the QS1 and opening a new Savor to get signup bonus?  

So many options.  Yes, it might make sense to forgo the the extra 2% I'd get on entertainment from Savor over BBP just to stockpile MR points.  But, 4% is more than 2%.  Doing the math on $4k in entertainment it would be $160 cash back from Savor or 8k MR points.  

Message 6 of 12
imaximous
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Great advice that I never thought of.  How do I find out when PC becomes available to me? 

You'd have to call or chat with Cap One and ask if your card is eligible for a PC. My understanding is that Cap One stopped PCs to Savor when they relaunched the card with the new bonus structure. I don't know when they'll reopen PCs -- you'll just have to check periodically.

@Anonymous wrote:

Also, Venture One is points based where for travel the points are worth $.01 each for travel and $.05 for cash back while my Quicksilver One it's strictly cash back at 1.5%.  Can they even be combined given different payout methods?   

Yes, you can combine one card into the other. Basically, you maintain the rewards structure of the card you're keeping. The reason for doing this is to combine your credit lines, and close the unwanted card. Otherwise, if you only close one, you lose that CL.

@Anonymous wrote:

The main reason I like Venture One is the 10x points when booking hotels through hotels.com.  Just got almost 20,000 pts for a stay!  Venture One is free and with the 10x it makes sense to keep it and use it for all hotel stays...right?  Also, wouldn't I be better off canceling the QS1 and opening a new Savor to get signup bonus?   

I honestly forgot about 10x for hotels. If that's something you value, then absolutely keep that card. Instead, you could combine the QS1 into the Venture One. Then, apply for the Savor if you want the SUB.

@Anonymous wrote:

So many options.  Yes, it might make sense to forgo the the extra 2% I'd get on entertainment from Savor over BBP just to stockpile MR points.  But, 4% is more than 2%.  Doing the math on $4k in entertainment it would be $160 cash back from Savor or 8k MR points.  

That depends on how much you value your MRs and how you use them. 4% may be higher than 2% but the value isn't the same. Plus, you'll get 4% for one year, then you'd have to PC to Savor One or your $160 turns into $65 after the $95 AF. Once your card is a Savor One, then you'll be earning $120 a year (3%). I think I'd take 8,000 MRs over $120, but that's just me. Particulary if my goal is to build my MR pool. 

Again, if you want the SUB, then go for it. I do still think that after a year, I'd go back to MRs. IMO, 2% MRs > 3% CB unless you're a cashback person.

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great answers to everything.  Thanks!  

Looks like I'm SOL on entertainment purchases for anything more than the Amex BBP 2x unless I want to go the Savor route and as you said it's a six of one, half dozen of another when comparing MR to Cap 1 pts.

Message 8 of 12
imaximous
Valued Contributor

You know better than anyone how much value you can get out of MRs. But, btw, I’m not trying to discourage you from getting the Savor and cashing in on the SUB. $500 is a pretty good deal. I was just thinking where to put spend long term.
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Marvel card?
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.