cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are the rankings of Citi Cards?

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: What are the rankings of Citi Cards?

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Sharingan wrote:

If the OP is referring to ranking in terms of underwriting criteria, I highly doubt that there's any difference among Citi's cards. That's my view after having so many of their credit cards over the years. The only one that might be slightly more difficult to obtain would be the Prestige, simply because of its minimum CL. The AA Executive might also fall into that caveat. 

I've heard of just as many low limit Citi Premier approvals as I have the Double Cash. Additionally, the Simplicity and Diamond Preferred encourage revolving a balance, which would certainly necessitate a decent credit history from the applicant. 

In terms of rewards, I'll just say that the Double Cash is the only one I am overly fond of. I like the Forward too, however, TY points just don't do it for me. 

Right - the Forward seems like the original version was a great card, but even though it is 5x dining/entertainment etc, that doesn't really equal 5% cash back with TY points as it can be hard to get full value from those.

That said, it still equals at least 3-4% cash which is great. However, I'm sure at some point Citi will be pulling the plug and converting existing cardholders to something far less beneficial

You can redeem for  full value for mortgage/student loan, so that IS 5%, or for high value gift cards, so 3-4% only if you do things badly!   And with a Prestige, this is 8% on AA flights.

I assume that Citi will convert at some point, but that's been the rumor for nearly two years, so who knows when they will finally take action!

Message 11 of 14
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I know the Capital one order, but I searched and couldn't find one for Citi?

I just got the AA Citi World Mastercard, just wondering where the other cards fall in relation to that for another possible app?

Interested in the Double cash mostly.

Thanks!

There are no rankings...you go for what benefits you. What someone finds super useful and what thepointsguy, or nerdwallet or some other "expert" rates highly means squat if you get nothing out of it with your lifestyle and spend.

+1

I was pre-qualified for either the Capital One Venture or the QuickSilver at the same APR, and I chose the QuickSilver even though some folks on here feel the Venture 'ranks' higher.  I know this particular thread is regarding Citi cards, but I feel this applies to other lenders as well.

In my case, the math just didn't work for the Venture after the AF was figured in, but the QS fit perfectly.  Since I was looking for a card to keep for the 'long haul' and not just for a bonus, I had to go for the QS. 

Same for the Amex BCP; for my specific spending - at this time - it works for me.  In a year or so, it may be that the no-AF BCE will be a better fit.  If that's the case, I won't hesitate to "downgrade", regardless of perceived status.  Honestly, though, the only time I generally have to show my cards are at fast food drive-thru's, and I've yet to find an employee at one that actually cares either way... LOL  Smiley Very Happy

Just my 2¢

Edit:  Fixed typo

Message 12 of 14
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I know the Capital one order, but I searched and couldn't find one for Citi?

I just got the AA Citi World Mastercard, just wondering where the other cards fall in relation to that for another possible app?

Interested in the Double cash mostly.

Thanks!

There are no rankings...you go for what benefits you. What someone finds super useful and what thepointsguy, or nerdwallet or some other "expert" rates highly means squat if you get nothing out of it with your lifestyle and spend.

+1

I was pre-qualified for either the Capital One Venture or the QuickSilver at the same APR, and I chose the QuickSilver even though some folks on here feel the Venture 'ranks' higer.  I know this particular thread is regarding Citi cards, but I feel this applies to other lenders as well.

In my case, the math just didn't work for the Venture after the AF was figured in, but the QS fit perfectly.  Since I was looking for a card to keep for the 'long haul' and not just for a bonus, I had to go for the QS. 

Same for the Amex BCP; for my specific spending - at this time - it works for me.  In a year or so, it may be that the no-AF BCE will be a better fit.  If that's the case, I won't hesitate to "downgrade", regardless of perceived status.  Honestly, though, the only time I generally have to show my cards are at fast food drive-thru's, and I've yet to find an employee at one that actually cares either way... LOL  Smiley Very Happy

Just my 2¢

I agree 100%. I know a lot of people love Venture for the bonus but it just doesn't make sense for me no matter how much I try to justify it. I'm not paying a fee for 2% on travel redemptions only (and yes, I know most people will simply merge the limit after a year and/or downgrade the card etc, but I don't want to appear to be churning). I've tossed around the idea of upgrading to the BCP before, but I concluded I would just end up forcing myself to spend more to justify a fee, and I honestly don't want the burden of trying to justify it. No fee is the way to go for me.

1.5%, no fee, on anything you want is a great tradeoff. Venture seems to be giving higher limits at the moment, but if I'm being honest do I really need a 30k limit? No. As much as everyone talks about utilization, I think it can be overblown. I got a rather large CLI on my Amex not long ago and what did it do to my score? Very little if anything, even though my util had skyrocketed downwards. The point is that it is not going to result in a 100 point increase or anything ridiculous unless your file is very thin maybe and most people with Venture do not have such files.

Message 13 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all the great insight! I was asking for underwriting reasons (prime v sub prime). And you delivered!

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.