Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: What are your 2020 Goal Cards?

Amex Bonvoy. That's it.

Message 51 of 84
CreditBloke
Valued Member

I applied and was accepted for both the Wells Fargo Propel at the start of the month, and the Paypal Cash Back Mastercard just 20 mins ago (lol). My only other goal would be to get my Savor card's annual fee waived or PCd to the Savor One. If Cap One decides to start allowing us to combine cards again I will go ahead and do that instead of PCing. Besides that, I will be gardening for the next two-three years and focusing on raising my CLs for as many of my cards as I can. Between all my cards I now have a solid cashback set up and I don't see the need to change it up anytime soon. I think my next goal will be to get an Amazon Card and Marriot Bonvoy Card after the two years are up. 

Current Cards:

Student Loan Accounts:

Scores as of 7/01/2021:

Inquires as of 7/01/2021:

Average Age of Credit History as of 1/30/2021

* Gardening since 07/01/21. Garden Goal Date is 07/01/23

Message 52 of 84
Openwater
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
My goal cards as of this moment are CSP and Amex Gold. I’m also thinking of possibly PC’ing from BCE to BCP. I’d like to reach my garden goal first (08.23.2020), and then apply for one of these options should they remain the same at that time.

What are your goal cards?

I love my BCP, if you take advantage of the rewards they add up VERY quickly. 

I'm shooting for the Penfed PCR. Don't know if I'll do June/July or go all the way to December, we shall see.

Discover 22K ---------------------------- Credit Union MC 17K
Cap1 QS 11K ---------------------------- Barclay 3.4K
AMEX Blue Cash AU 15.5K ------ Barclay Apple AU 10K
AMEX BCP 15K
1 Installment loans:
Auto 60K /

AMEX Hilton Aspire 25K
Vantage 3.0: TU:738 EQ: 737 03-17-2020
Ch. 7 DC 12/2014
Message 53 of 84
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Aim_High wrote:

@FieryDance wrote

Chase 

• Have: CIC (me), CIP (DH)
  • Goal: Chase Biz Quinfecta in 2P mode, 2 CICs, 2 CIUs, 1 CIP

Wow, that's some detailed, specific, and complicated plans!  Smiley Surprised

Good job plotting that out. 

Some of it left me curious.  Like why all the Chase Biz cards?? 

But you don't have CSR/CSP to magnify UR points with them??

Or do you? 

You'd get 25% or 50% bump with one of those. 

I got 80K UR point SUB on CIP, PC'd it to no-AF CIC where I get 7.5% in URs on my CSR for travel. 

I guess you and DH have enough Biz travel to dabble in Chase, BoA, and AMEX?  Seems like a lot of systems and cards to me but DW doesn't travel and much of my travel spend is paid employer-direct.

Don't know how FieryDance is using URs, but if the mode is transfer to partners, there is no bump with CSR/CSP, that's just for redeeming through the portal.

Message 54 of 84
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

I’m currently gardening until my AoYA is at least 1 year, which will be 08/20/20. By the end of September I’ll hit 4/24, and by the end of October, a crap ton of my inquiries will fall off (down to Ex 2/ Eq 0/ Tu 1) and I’ll be 3/24. So ultimately my plan is to wait until then to apply for a Chase card, which will likely be the United card. If I go with this card, then I’ll likely close my AMEX Gold before it hits 2 years in 2021.

Only other card currently on my radar is BBVA (I’ve gotten targeted offers). I’ve also toyed with a second Discover card because I’d like to see if I can get a higher limit. Plus another year of double cash back and 0% interest can come in handy while I plan a wedding. I have lots of time to think about it though, so until then I welcome suggestions!

Message 55 of 84
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@KLEXH25 wrote:
I’ve also toyed with a second Discover card because I’d like to see if I can get a higher limit. Plus another year of double cash back and 0% interest can come in handy while I plan a wedding.

The Discover IT "MILES" card is the best cash-back SUB deal on the market.  Miles are basically cash-back.  It only earns 1.5% but unlike the other Discover cards, there are no special categories and no spending caps.  You get 1.5% on everything.  And with the match at the end of the year, you get effectively 3% cash back on everything you buy, uncapped, with no annual fee.  Sweet deal! Smiley Very Happy

Plus, if you play it right at the end of the year, you can roll it over to your other (older) Discover card.  (I believe the receiver card has to be eligible for a CLI and then you can transfer funds when you close it, but that's what I believe I read from other members or heard from CSRs.  For example, I believe if your IT card with $2300 CL was eligible for CLI to $5K and you already had $5K on the MILES, you could combine them into a $10K limit.)

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 56 of 84
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

I keep forgetting I can roll the two cards into one, so that’s a good idea. I have no idea where the “Miles” come in if it’s essentially a Cashback card though. Is redemption the same as the “It” card?

Message 57 of 84
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@KLEXH25 wrote:
I have no idea where the “Miles” come in if it’s essentially a Cashback card though. Is redemption the same as the “It” card?

Discover just wanted a "travel" card even though it's

not really a travel card in the traditional sense.

You can redeem directly for travel credits on your statement as you spend.

But cash redemptions work the same way, from my understanding.

DW and I just got it, haven't redeemed yet.

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 58 of 84
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Aim_High wrote:

The Discover IT "MILES" card is the best cash-back SUB deal on the market.  Miles are basically cash-back.  It only earns 1.5% but unlike the other Discover cards, there are no special categories and no spending caps.  You get 1.5% on everything.  And with the match at the end of the year, you get effectively 3% cash back on everything you buy, uncapped, with no annual fee.  Sweet deal! Smiley Very Happy

Well, best depending on your spend!  To overcome a $500 SUB and a 2% card, you need to spend $50K on it, at places that take Discover and where you don't have a better card.   I got about $3000 in first year cashback on one miles card, $2000 on the other (my wife and I each had one in consecutive years) but that involved a fair amount of MS.

Message 59 of 84
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Aim_High wrote:

Well, best depending on your spend!  To overcome a $500 SUB and a 2% card, you need to spend $50K on it, at places that take Discover and where you don't have a better card.   I got about $3000 in first year cashback on one miles card, $2000 on the other (my wife and I each had one in consecutive years) but that involved a fair amount of MS.

At least for a while, Discover would give very low SLs and have them grow over time...but a great CL in the second or third year is of limited value in the first year as far as enjoying 0%. While I'm maxing out the BBP cap every year, Discover gave me a CLI from $2k to $3k (curse of a joint account).

And if someone has $50k of off-category spend per year, he or she can probably get PH status at BofA. Even without the GE and airfare extras credits...or bonus categories...PR would win as a pure cash back card for the first $108k. ($500-$95)/(.03-.02625).

Old Savor ($500 SUB) won for the first $25k. New Savor wins for $15k...both without considering bonus categories.

The only $500 SUB "2% for everyone" card I can think of is Venture, though, and that's flexible travel but not true cash back. What else is there? The distinction is not necessarily significant, though, as many forms of transit can count.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 60 of 84
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.