cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are your reasons for having the Amex Green, Gold or Platinum cards?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What are your reasons for having the Amex Green, Gold or Platinum cards?

I got gold because it net more values for me, mostly on grocery and dining.

I don't have plat or green becuase i have other better options for categories they cover.

Everyone's spending is somewhat different, you really have to math it out yourself.

Message 11 of 24
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@marcforza1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

All good points made above but one other thing you may want to think about. The Green charge card is one of the easiest Amex cards to get and holds less risk for them. If you need to get your foot in the door it's a good option. Also yes they are charge cards but they often have pay over time limits that work like revlovers so it's good if you need to use that in a pinch as well.

That is true becuase I've seen folks on here able to get approved pretty easily for it with decent scores. The changes and perks that are supposed to happen with the green card this summer looks interesting and that kind of caught my attention. So I do appreciate everyone's opinions on the cards and I'll wait to see when I app for the Hilton Honors card soon if I also try to app for one of the charge cards, too.  

The general consensus is that charge cards have similar underwriting; it's simply a question of a tradeoff between the AFs, rewards, and perks.

Having a Platinum is no guarantee of having high spending power. Low-risk Customer A can have much greater spending power on a Green than moderate-risk Customer B may have on a Platinum.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 12 of 24
jdbkiang
Established Contributor

The Green card is rumored to be changing soon, so some people are preemptively grabbing the card while it’s at $0 first year AF and then hoping it turns out to be useful while still keeping the lower/waived AF (assuming the AF will go up as most of the other Amex AF’s have done recently). I myself am considering it for this very reason.

I’ve been holding off on the Plat simply because I want the 100K offer, but I’m looking for DP’s concerning holders of other plat flavors receiving that offer. If it’s possible, I’d like the Schwab Plat.

[2/2019]
Message 13 of 24
marcforza1
Frequent Contributor

Lets say for example I have a $50 balance on my statement that's due on July 15th with one of the charge cards. If I charge another $60 on it between now and the due date, would that balance due change to $110 on the 15th or does it stay at $50 and the $60 charge will appear on the August statement/due date? 

I know the emphasis on charge cards is pay everything in full on the due date. But I didn't know how it was work on the example I mentioned since Amex advertises payment flexibility, though I prefer to play it safe and pay in full each month. 

FICO 8 Scores 12/2017: EX-596; TU-604; EQ-591
Current: EX-648; TU-665; EQ-678
AAoA: 4.4 yrs
Message 14 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@marcforza1 wrote:

Lets say for example I have a $50 balance on my statement that's due on July 15th with one of the charge cards. If I charge another $60 on it between now and the due date, would that balance due change to $110 on the 15th or does it stay at $50 and the $60 charge will appear on the August statement/due date? 

I know the emphasis on charge cards is pay everything in full on the due date. But I didn't know how it was work on the example I mentioned since Amex advertises payment flexibility, though I prefer to play it safe and pay in full each month. 

The balance due is the amount that must be paid. It won't change till a new statement generates, or a paymemt has been made.

The balance is the total balance and will change as purchases are made. 

Message 15 of 24
iced
Valued Contributor

@marcforza1 wrote:
I want to get a good idea on those who have the Amex charge cards, why you applied for them and the actual benefits for having a charge card with the AF. I know that these cards are very useful to have for things like warranties, purchase protection, insurance, ect. But how does the card benefit you on your daily spendings and also in terms of your FICO score versus a revolving card like the BCP (other than the obvious "don't miss a single payment" thing)? I would think that since there's no CL, that the influence on your score much less on utilization and is mainly based on on- time payments.

I have the Platinum, and I got it for a few reasons:

- I fly DL mainly now and find myself with time to kill in a SkyClub 4-6 times a month.

- I spend around $10,000 annually on personal airfare, so the 5x adds a little more to the pot of SkyMiles I'm accruing. My employer requires I use their corporate card for company airfare/hotel/rental car spend, so I was already accruing MR slowly; adding in my personal airfare spend has helped grow that pool somewhat.

- I do make use of the Uber credit since I tend to spend as much time in an Uber as I do in my own car.

- American Express pestered me for the better part of 2 years with the 100,000 point offer and decided I could get the SkyClub access, pool MR points with my corporate card, and get them to stop spamming me with offers.

The other benefits don't carry much weight for me, nor does it seem to affect my score one way or the other. I also pay all cards statements every month, so revolving versus charge credit makes no difference to me. I also don't pay mind to the utilization for the same reason, though I believe that as a charge card it's not factored in to my utilization.

Message 16 of 24
marcforza1
Frequent Contributor

@jdbkiang wrote:
The Green card is rumored to be changing soon, so some people are preemptively grabbing the card while it’s at $0 first year AF and then hoping it turns out to be useful while still keeping the lower/waived AF (assuming the AF will go up as most of the other Amex AF’s have done recently). I myself am considering it for this very reason.

I’ve been holding off on the Plat simply because I want the 100K offer, but I’m looking for DP’s concerning holders of other plat flavors receiving that offer. If it’s possible, I’d like the Schwab Plat.

I do hope existing green cardmembers will be able to get the upcoming perks for it. (4x on gas, 3x on online subscriptions and Amazon Prime membership from what I've read). Will definitely make a decision soon about one of the cards and will update everyone on my app results in the upcoming months. 

FICO 8 Scores 12/2017: EX-596; TU-604; EQ-591
Current: EX-648; TU-665; EQ-678
AAoA: 4.4 yrs
Message 17 of 24
jdbkiang
Established Contributor

@marcforza1 wrote:

@jdbkiang wrote:

I do hope existing green cardmembers will be able to get the upcoming perks for it. (4x on gas, 3x on online subscriptions and Amazon Prime membership from what I've read). Will definitely make a decision soon about one of the cards and will update everyone on my app results in the upcoming months. 

Based on the revamp for Gold and Biz Gold, I'm fairly certain that existing green cardholders will get the same new perks. That being said, 4x on gas might be a bit high, or maybe they up the AF.

[2/2019]
Message 18 of 24
wasCB14
Super Contributor

While I think an overhaul of Green is sorely needed...

Let's keep in mind that these very specific rumors about Green (adding gas and streaming service bonus categories) have been around for at least 6 months.

Maybe my memory is off here, but it seems like most Amex overhauls go from rumor to official announcement to implementation a lot faster.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 19 of 24
LunaBuna
Regular Contributor

Had the Gold, upgraded to the Platinum.   Although I loved the 4 times points for restaurants, as I eat out way to much, the Platinum's airport launge access was just to appealing as I travel every other week, if not each week.  I also am able to use my Platinum for my air travel with reimbursement from my company.  Total win for me.  

The status for various travel related vendors can be a added benefit.   I travel so much i alraedy have status on any vendor I use, but for those who do not travel as much will likely benefit from this perk.

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.