cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What behavior should I show for chase CLI? (I know their stingy)

tag
nhandzel
Valued Member

What behavior should I show for chase CLI? (I know their stingy)

Hello all,

I currently have a Chase Student Visa
$800 CL

Never been late

I usually always carried a high balance (ill never do that again).

I had the card @ 792/800 for the last 6 months or so.

Card will report as PIF tomorrow (statement date) and I plan on pif before the statement date to keep it reporting @ 1% or less.

What behavior should i show and how long should i wait before asking for cli? I would just open a new account but i'm worried about my AAoA being affected.

I was thinking pif for 6 months, then asking for cli....

thoughts???

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
pattycake
Established Contributor

Re: What behavior should I show for chase CLI? (I know their stingy)

That sounds like a good plan of action.  Do you have a decent income?  I know they ask about that before CLI, and they also do hard pulls. 
pattycake's FICOs: 6/2/10 - TU: 708; EX: ???; EQ: 749
Message 2 of 8
nhandzel
Valued Member

I make decent income for my age (i'm 21, my gross is $33,800)
Message 3 of 8
pattycake
Established Contributor

Your DTI will also matter, as will your credit score.  I just talked to them and they told me they are being very conservative with CLIs because of the economy.  They are only giving CLIs with a credit check. 
pattycake's FICOs: 6/2/10 - TU: 708; EX: ???; EQ: 749
Message 4 of 8
nhandzel
Valued Member

thank you Scorebuilding.

I would love to just go on an App Spree (my scores were as low as 555 less than a year ago, by the end of the month I should be above 720 across the board), but my goal is to buy a home by the end of the year in order to take advantage of the 8k tax credit. -- I'd love to increase my CL instead of adding a new account and killing my AAoA

Message 5 of 8
score_building
Senior Contributor

nhandzel wrote:
I make decent income for my age (i'm 21, my gross is $33,800)

i think a 3-6 mos pif plan is solid but back-up is key when you're running with the 'big boys' like chase, do you have a cu, local, or regional lender as back up?  a change of payment pattern can be a transition period for some lenders but going in the polar opposite direction with PIF and not carrying a maxed balance will ultimately payoff.  it's always good to show lenders you don't need their credit to get by.
the other thing is while you may receive increases on your student card up to a point, it is usually by definition a low limit card.  sounds like you're working f/t now- so if you decide to get a regular (non student) cc there may be a higher ceiling/more growth potential overall.  btw, nice digits, keep it up.  glad you learned early about the importance of uti, your balance was precariously high for a while there.
DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 6 of 8
marty56
Super Contributor

PIF on all accounts.  These days, treat your CC like your are going for a mortgage or autoloan when you want a CLI or at least no AA.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 7 of 8
nhandzel
Valued Member

I am going for a mortgage! Thank you for the advise everyone
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.