Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What card is best for me? (travel)

tag
Bmn5940
Contributor

What card is best for me? (travel)

Hello everyone,

So after seeing my spending habits and how busy my summer is/will continue to be, I am searching for the best Travel Rewards card. I personally have my eyes set on the famous Chase Sapphire Preferred mostly becasue I have a freedom unlimited and while the limit is tiny and hasnt grown, I still have managed to rack up decent rewards with it. Also I saw the CSP cancels young renters fees on rental cars (I'll be renting alot this summer).  I have about 8 trips planned currently (flights for 2 of them already booked) and I want a card that I'll rack up miles on instead of points/cashback. All my cards and limits are listed below (hover mouse over pics for deatils). Pretty much I want to hear what you experienced credit card holders have to input about the best travel reward cards. I mostly fly United, American, or Delta due to being close to 4 different airport hubs. My history though shows a strong favortism towards American first then United and lastly Delta. (not sure if that's helpful information). I'm 21 years old so I don't have a ton of knowledge of all the cards out there and I've been in the garden for almost 2 years waiting for my scores to be good enough to get *hopefully* any travel card I think is best.

Current Stats:

Amex Experian FICO: 756 as of 06/12/19

Citi Equifax FICO: 758 as of 05/28/19 

I don't have a TU FICO from any cards so I'd imagine it's in the same ballpark.

Credit karma:

TU: 7 hard inquires latest one being July 31,2018(discount student loan)

EQ: 7 hard inquires latest one being July 31,2018(discover student loan)

No way of tracking experian Hard Inq. but I haven't applied for anything since July 2018 so I'd imagine 7 or less on Experian

Credit Utilization is just under 6%

Average age of accounts: 2 years 1 month

Oldest account: Cap one QS June 2016 (my 3 year first credit card aniversary coming soon)

Payment History: 100%

I have about 80k in student loans currently (one more year to go!)

The only other debt I have is a $4000 personal loan ($12,000 opened in 2016 for my first car)

I think I covered everything what do y'all think? Best travel rewards card I can get with these scores please let me know your favorite travel cards and what you like about them. What airlines you fly etc.

Thank you!!!

Very Happily in the garden
Goal Cards:
None for Now
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What card is best for me? (travel)

There is no transfer partner with AA, so you are looking at booking flight through chase travel portal at fixed 1.25cpp, or transferring to OW alliance like BA, the valuation is slightly better. UR does transfer to United, so that helps with better valuation if you fly United.

CSP has a low earning rate, 2x on travel and dining, and your CFU has a small limit. I would look into citi premier (if you are still eligible for the SUB), or wells fargo propel.

Message 2 of 6
Bmn5940
Contributor

Yeah I've had the CFU for 2 years now and they havent given any increases or any just for you offer nothing chase kinda hates me lol. I do like Citi alot and I'll take a look at the premier.

Goal Cards:
None for Now
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can go to experian and sign up, getting free fico and (for you) know what your inq's are.  just fyi

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I’ve had a sapphire product of some sort for about 8 years. I have zero complaints, and I appreciate that you don’t have to worry much about their fine print regarding travel or credits like you do with some other issuers. What you see is what you get with them. 

That said, that Citi Premier seems like a better earner than the preferred right now. 

Message 5 of 6
Bmn5940
Contributor

I did some reading on the Citi Premier seems to a have a nice sign on bonus as well. I think I'm going to wait this weekend out and make a decision I've been reading the forums like a mad man of all the different cards and perks

Goal Cards:
None for Now
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.