cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What card is the best for groceries and gas? Also, Cap One Savor thoughts.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What card is the best for groceries and gas? Also, Cap One Savor thoughts.

Oh wow. That looks like an awesome card. Unfortunately I am not eligible Smiley Sad
Message 11 of 23
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@DaveInAZ wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Amex BCP gives 6 percent back on groceries and 3 percent on gas.  It has a $95 fee but comes with a $250 sign up bonus so that should be good for the first 2 years.  BCE gives 3 percent on groceries comes with $250 sign up bonus and no annual fee.  I think BOA 3-2-1 you can make your 3 percent category groceries if you so desire. I think $150 sign up bonus and no annual fee. 

Yes, but if you most of your groceries at Walmart, Target or wholesale club Amex only gives you 1% on BCP/BCE. And no, unfortunately on the BoA Cash Rewards you can only set the 3% category to gas, dining, travel, drug stores or home improvement, it gives 2% on groceries and can't be changed but at least it does give 2% at Walmart if the store codes a groceries on the Visa network, which mine does.

Target card gives you 5 percent off Target.  Wallmart card gives you 3 percent off of Walmart. If you are doing all your grocery shopping there one of those cards is probably your best bet. 

I have the Target redcard debit that also gives 5% discount, but rarely shop Target, stores are way out of the way for me. I have the Walmart store card, it gives you 3% on walmart.com orders but only 1% in stores, although the Walmart Pay app did give 3% in store a couple times last year but so far no 3% promo this year. And I forgot that Walmart Grocery Pickup does code as grocery on Amex.

Message 12 of 23
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Oh!!! I didn’t know Amazon sold giftcards. I mostly do my groceries at Trader Joes/Vons at the moment. Not a Whole Foods near me and I just have the sync amazon, not chase amazon.

Square Cash (a debit card) also gives 10% off Trader Joes.   (Limit per purchase is $75, and can be used every 30 minutes),

Message 13 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Oh!!! I didn’t know Amazon sold giftcards. I mostly do my groceries at Trader Joes/Vons at the moment. Not a Whole Foods near me and I just have the sync amazon, not chase amazon.

Square Cash (a debit card) also gives 10% off Trader Joes.   (Limit per purchase is $75, and can be used every 30 minutes),

This isn’t in every market. We have a TJ’s down the street and don’t have this offer. 

Message 14 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I’ll ask if they do!
Message 15 of 23
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

This isn’t in every market. We have a TJ’s down the street and don’t have this offer. 

Oh, you have Krogers (which I don't have, but there aren't any here) didn't realize that you had TJ there anyway.

Wonder how you can tell before applying which boosts you will get.

Message 16 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Oh, you have Krogers (which I don't have, but there aren't any here) didn't realize that you had TJ there anyway.

Wonder how you can tell before applying which boosts you will get.

We have two TJ’s within a 5 mile radius and four in 50 or so. Not a lot of them but we have had them here for years, at least since 2011. 

You can’t as far as I’m aware but there’s not any applying actually involved, just install the app, design your Cash card, then check the available boosts. Takes <10 minutes. 

Now the actual security process when trying to load money... well that’s an entirely different story. If it doesn’t like your driver’s license, it’s very unpleasant. 

Message 17 of 23
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Has anyone used Square for Chipotle Online?
Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 18 of 23
SBR249
Established Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:
Has anyone used Square for Chipotle Online?

Yup, works like a charm. Square gives you the discount on their end so your Chipotle receipt will show the higher price but your Square debit card will be deducted the discounted price. 

Message 19 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Go for American Express Blue Cash Preferred, what I have.

6% cash back on groceries, up to $6000 per year in purchases, 3% at gas stations, 1% on everything else. It does have a $95 annual fee while the Blue Cash Everyday doesn't, but the BCE is on a 3-2-1 structures. When you do the math, the BCP still comes out on top, despite the annual fee.

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.