Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What card(s) should be in my goals?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What card(s) should be in my goals?

@ktspicks

We have the PayPal 2% CB Mastercard issued by Synchrony. You'll need this card to enable/set-up the 3% earning.

Check out this post.

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Earn-3-on-everything-using-one-card-RECENT-UPDATE/m-p/...
Message 11 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Think you are in good shape. Unless you want to chase some subs. Smiley Very Happy

Message 12 of 32
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

Yeah, setting a garden goal for something you could probably acquire right now if not afoul of 5/24 doesn't seem righteous, and if you're not 5/24 and you want the Freedom I'd just put the app in now and then let everything age together towards that BK dropping off.

If I remember correctly, Chase denies applications when a bankruptcy is on one's report and recon very rarely helps.

Message 13 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Revelate wrote:

You've already done your analysis on the groceries, is there anything really uncovered by the rest of your spending profile?

Yeah, setting a garden goal for something you could probably acquire right now if not afoul of 5/24 doesn't seem righteous, and if you're not 5/24 and you want the Freedom I'd just put the app in now and then let everything age together towards that BK dropping off.

Really, unless you're looking at that Paypal upgrade to 3% (which seems like an obvious solution for any cash backer) you may just set the date as your garden goal and then see what you need at that point which is basically what I did except when I knew a mortgage was on the table in which case garden target was exactly to the point I could go talk to a loan officer.

Ultimately gardening for a given card isn't really the greatest planning tool: time domain is better honestly.  Also, I don't know how static your life or your finances or your expenses are, but life happens and I can't think mine is the only one that is unpredictable looking a year or more out and as such it is righteous just to put your credit report in as good a place as possible for when you do actually need to leverage it.

That’s the thing, I think I’m pretty much set at this point because I do have the Business Debit/PayPal Cashback combo and the only cards that make sense are category spend cards that earn more than 3% unless I am going for a backup card or a nice SUB. I am only aware of two of those 5% cards besides Disco IT - the Freedom and US Bank Cash+ cards. I burned USB in my BK so I want to wait until my BK falls before I go for another card with them but I don’t have high hopes of getting in because it wasn’t just credit cards that got burned, they got burned for my reserve line attached to my checking too. 

The $7200 NFCU Plat is there for any emergencies plus I may merge my cashRewards into the Plat which would give me a $14,700 card under 9% - currently my medical needs mean I can’t have more than $2000 in the bank so a low APR emergency card is a must and I may look to add a second one with another CU. 

Time is going to have a marked impact on my credit reports regardless of whether I stay in the garden or not since that BK is going to be a big jump when I ask TU for EE a year from now. 

Message 14 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Think you are in good shape. Unless you want to chase some subs. Smiley Very Happy

I am thinking this as well. 

If I had any actual spending planned, I would go for some SUB chasing but I quite literally have no major expenses planned this year that could use an offset or a 0% intro. If I do, I’ll probably get the SavorOne. While I’m not a big fan of Cap’s 3B pull, $150 for $500 spend paired with a 0% for 15 month intro would be quite nice and give me a 3% dining card, which is something I don’t currently have a dedicated card for (but can achieve with the PayPal Business Debit). 

Regular Savor has no 0% period so while that $500 SUB sounds nice, it’s not practical for $3000 spend without paying interest. 

Message 15 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@HeavenOhio wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

If I remember correctly, Chase denies applications when a bankruptcy is on one's report and recon very rarely helps.

It’s an auto denial isn’t it? I just realized I had forgotten that so I guess Freedom as a 2020 goal isn’t a bad one since I’m not eligible for it until then anyway lol. 

Message 16 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nusenda and Citi Dividend also have rotating 5% categories if you're into that.

Uber 4% dining probably beats out the Savor.

A 2nd Discover it when your cashback match runs out on your first.

This is my go to place when looking for ideas for cashback cards.
https://www.magnifymoney.com/blog/earning-cashback/best-cash-back-credit-cards-for-every-category222...

Message 17 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nusenda

Nusenda quarterly categories.PNG

Citi Dividend

Citi Dividend.PNG

Message 18 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Nusenda and Citi Dividend also have rotating 5% categories if you're into that.

Uber 4% dining probably beats out the Savor.

A 2nd Discover it when your cashback match runs out on your first.

This is my go to place when looking for ideas for cashback cards.
https://www.magnifymoney.com/blog/earning-cashback/best-cash-back-credit-cards-for-every-category222723218/

You’re right about the Uber card but I don’t know that I want to deal with Barclays. Cap is a solid issuer. If you have the limit, you can use it, and AA is very rare with them. Barclays is way too quick to be stupid. 

Nusenda was the one I forgot about so thank you for that. Dividend you have to PC to, right?

I have thought about a second Disco and I may go for that next year since I got so many cards last year that a lot of spend got sent to other SUBs. I am planning on getting a new TV next year so that would be the perfect time to get another 0% intro card that has an effective 2% cash back. 

Right now I am leaning towards going for the Nusenda card first, I’ve got to look at some DPs to get an idea of what they’re looking for and I have to wait to see what the denial letters coming from US Bank for the Cash+ and Gold checking say because I didn’t get an HP — and then I looked up credit pulls and EX is what they pull for CO. Which was frozen because I mistakenly believed them to be a TU puller and didn’t feel like filling out the Experian form for no reason. Although it probably would have been a denial since my EX is lower than TU quite a bit. But if it doesn’t say previous relationship or something to that effect, I will clean up my EX in April and go for that one again first. 

Message 19 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Correct about the Citi Dividend, you must PC to it.
Message 20 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.