Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What card should I app for

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What card should I app for

Hi all I am looking to add another card and wanted to get a higher credit limit. My Ficos are 676 to 703 based on recent mortgage app. I currently have three cards one store card with zero balance and limit of $1000, capital one rewards zero balance $3500 limit, and basic capital one zero balance $500 limit. I currently put $3000 or more per month on the cap one rewards card and pay in full before the statement date and pay multiple times on higher spending months. One inquiry in last 12 months for mortgage application, no lates in last 36 months, prior to that a number of 30 and 60 day lates. My total household income is $250,000. I was hoping to get a card with a limit of $4000 or more with good rewards. I would like Citi thank you preferred, chase freedom, blue cash preferred, or Amex SPG. I wold also love a chase sapphire. I was also thinking of a charge card with good rewards as I do not plan to carry a balance. I ultimately want a credit card with a $10,000 limit. Any recomendations?
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
john398
Senior Contributor

Re: What card should I app for

Have you thought about Discover?

Message 2 of 9
CruzImperial
Established Contributor

how many inquiries do you have and what is your AAoA?

Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Message 3 of 9
john398
Senior Contributor

Also Amex and Discover both have pre qualify sites you may want to look at would not hurt

Message 4 of 9
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi all I am looking to add another card and wanted to get a higher credit limit. My Ficos are 676 to 703 based on recent mortgage app. I currently have three cards one store card with zero balance and limit of $1000, capital one rewards zero balance $3500 limit, and basic capital one zero balance $500 limit. I currently put $3000 or more per month on the cap one rewards card and pay in full before the statement date and pay multiple times on higher spending months. One inquiry in last 12 months for mortgage application, no lates in last 36 months, prior to that a number of 30 and 60 day lates. My total household income is $250,000. I was hoping to get a card with a limit of $4000 or more with good rewards. I would like Citi thank you preferred, chase freedom, blue cash preferred, or Amex SPG. I wold also love a chase sapphire. I was also thinking of a charge card with good rewards as I do not plan to carry a balance. I ultimately want a credit card with a $10,000 limit. Any recomendations?

How did you get Capone to give you such a limit?  Can you explain it to the rest of us who can't get past the first step, but can get cards with nicer limits.  I would have been happy with the limit Capone you have with them.  If you make so much money, why don't you simply open a secure card or two or three with high limits.  I bet if you offered Capone $5000 for a secured card they would be happy to do it.  I understand you want rewards but more cards with high limits will increase your score and report.  All companies who offer good cards will consider how long ago the lates are.  You can match your score to companies who offer cards with it directly from this site or FG.  These companies would be your best shot, WFNNB, GECMB, and Barclays for now.  

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 5 of 9
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

@bernhardtra wrote:

If you make so much money, why don't you simply open a secure card or two or three with high limits.  

+1.  Open 3 secured cards with at least a $5000 CL.  Between 4 and 6 months later, you can start apping for much better cards and they would probably match or beat the limits that you already have from the secured cards.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have 2 Inquiries the last 12 months all for mortgage application.  My Aaoa is 9 years, my oldest account is 18 years.  Besides the cards the only debt I have are student loans, a car loan with a $30K balance, and a mortgage opened in 2003.

As for how I got the Capital one limit of $3500 your guess is as good as mine.  I originally only had the store card and the $500 cap one.  I used the $500 cap one a ton I would pay it 3 times a month and run $1000-$1500 through it thinking this may help me get a CLI.  I did this with them for 12 months without fail, then decided ok my FICO is up to 650 I have used the card a ton lets ask Capone for CLI and suprise suprise denied.  So I decided lets try to apply for a rewards card from capone at least I can earn something for trying to rebuild my credit.  And bam I get an instant online approval with a $3000 with a $500 increase after 6-7 months as long as I pay on time.  I had to call because I did not beleive what I saw on the screen.  I have now had the $3500 capone for over a year and a half and have run about $60,000 through it in that time.

I have thought about doing the secured card but I do not want all that money tied up with secured cards and I thought if I open them and then close them it will hurt my score.  I would love a AMEX or Citi Thank You any chance you think I could get approved.

What I cant understand is my score has stayed around 660-680 for almost 2 years now, in that time I have not missed a payment have 1-3% utilization and opened a new credit card.  How do I get it up.

Message 7 of 9
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

You should apply for an Amex charge card, your internal limit will grow crazy fast....  And amex will base future credit decisions on the way you manage your charge card account.  I can't see a downside to a charge card for you at this time.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 8 of 9
Whereis750
Regular Contributor

See if you're eligible to join NFCU - you'll get that $10k CC you want.  My household income is $48k, scores just north of 700.  My first CC app with NFCU gained me a shiny new CC with a $12.5K starting limit.  Blew my mind away.  NFCU is the world's best credit union.  If you treat them right, they will be there for you quite nicely.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.