Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What card to focus on

tag
red259
Super Contributor

What card to focus on

Currenty at 3/24 and looking to pick up a chase card. Only focused on co-brands because I have all the UR cards I need. My sense is for me the hyatt card may still be the best move out of chase co-brands. I don't have a lot of domestic flights and don't really value companion passes so I am not sure the southwest card would be worth it, bloggers always talk about the BA card but it seems like it fills a niche need with short hops and everytime I need one of those redemptions there always seems to be an issue. The united explorer card looks interesting but to get the full bonus of 65k points you need to spend 10k. United did away with its award chart so I am not sure its worth investing in this program anymore? I can top off a United account with my URs though for redemptions. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

Re: What card to focus on

WOH is a good card. I personally don't think the United is a good card to waste a 5/24 on unless you both benefit from the free bags enough and exhausted all of your UR options since you can get more UR which function just like United miles (also more versatile). CIP/CIC/CIU would be the way to go but need more info on your current card lineup. 

Message 2 of 8
red259
Super Contributor

@randomguy1 wrote:

WOH is a good card. I personally don't think the United is a good card to waste a 5/24 on unless you both benefit from the free bags enough and exhausted all of your UR options since you can get more UR which function just like United miles (also more versatile). CIP/CIC/CIU would be the way to go but need more info on your current card lineup. 

I don't need anymore UR cards. Have all of them. Just focusing on cobrands. 

;
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hyatt, IHG, Bonvoy Boundless card would be the next best if you aren’t interested in the United or SW cards.

I think Hyatt would be best value and Bonvoy could be downgraded if you decide the Boundless doesn’t have value.
Message 4 of 8
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Hyatt, IHG, Bonvoy Boundless card would be the next best if you aren’t interested in the United or SW cards.

I think Hyatt would be best value and Bonvoy could be downgraded if you decide the Boundless doesn’t have value.

Had a marriott card years ago when I was plat but since I only have gold status with marriott now I am not too invested in their programs. I like hyatt properties. IHG is a card that I often look at but I think the SUB with the hyatt is better and the status that comes with the IHG card I heard isn't that earth shattering. I'm thinking my choices are going to come down to hyatt vs united explorer. 

;
Message 5 of 8
red259
Super Contributor

Ended up pulling the trigger for an instant approval on hyatt card. That puts me at 4/24. Since its 6k spend needed for the SUB I think I'm going to take a break from apps for a bit. A little over a month ago I got the ink unlimited and like 2 1/2 months ago I got the ink business preferred. I figure my next card will likely be a business card with another lender and even after that I'm not sure I want to use the last 5/24 slot on a chase card anyway. I have another year and a half to two years until I can get the SUB again on a sapphire card and I feel like I'm  near the ceiling with available credit with chase.  

;
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

In a similar situation I went with the IHG card personally. I was trying to decide between IHG, Hyatt, and Marriott. I decided I could get Marriott via Amex after 5/24 so narrowed it down to IHG and Hyatt. The Hyatt SUB is worth more than the IHG but ongoing I highly value the 4th night free on redemptions. It's worth 2-3 night per year to me above the free night cert. If you don't organically aquire IHG points though it might not be as valuable to you.
Message 7 of 8
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

Congrats. What sl did they give you?

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.