cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What card would be best to put a big expense on?

tag
Bees18
Frequent Contributor

What card would be best to put a big expense on?

I have a spendy car repair coming up end of June. Anywhere from 2800-4000. I will need about 4-5 months to pay this off.

I'm still newer to having credit cards, so I don't want to make any company decline to charge or CLD me.

Im thinking of putting it on my Navy CR Visa, which is 6 months old and have a 16k credit limit. But the 0% APR runs out this month.

or I was thinking of getting a new Amex since I have prequels for them, but I am worried about putting a charge that high on a new account? Will Amex care? I heard they don't like you carrying a balance for long (it would be around 4-6 months while paying around $400 a month) 

or do i try a different card? What would be my best option? 

9 REPLIES 9
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: What card would be best to put a big expense on?

Can you provide your stats?

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

$400/mo x 4-6 mo's is $1600-$2400 and your expense exceeds that amount.

So, riddle me this.  What other cards do you currenly have besides Navy?

I highly doubt if you have a CL somewhere that putting the expense on there will spook them into declining the purchase.  I've had lenders get goofy on a brand new account and the 1st charge being over $500 or whatever fraud limit they put on new accounts is.  Quick call and they unlock the account and the charge goes through just fine.

The name of the game for a large charge is to have the $ to back it up and pay in full.  If you can't PIF then the rewards game isn't going to work well.  If you need a 0% purchase CC because you know you're going to carry the balance then look for that in advance of the purchase.  Being prepared is the key to success, but PIF is golden.

Not sure what your profile stats look like either since you didn't post them and recommendations are hard to do when you're pointing someine in the low 600's to something or someone in the mid 700's towards a particular card.

Message 3 of 10
Bees18
Frequent Contributor

Sure, stats are 780 fico

clear report (except an old medical bill that just popped up on TU only)

10% util

i have about 3 inq per report

i have 3 cards: Navy Visa 15k

Discover at 3k

and a starter card that never grew and is at $500

my husbands cards which we could also use are

Chase Freedom: 8k 0apr for 9 more months 

Cap one Savor 12k

Navy Amex 16k 0%apr till Sept 

two amex business cards-

Amamzon business 16k

Amex Blue Cash 30k 0% apr for 9 months ...* this card is new 

and I meant at least $400 a month, some months more. We do have the money to pay it. But would rather pay it off slowly due to the fact we hopefully will eventually get reimbursed for the accident (someone hit us while drunk and our car was parked, but he wasn't the renter of the car who hit us and didn't have permission to drive it, long story but our insurance (we only had liability in that car bc we rarely drive it) is now trying to go after him and we might have to sue we likely won't see money from it for a few months) 

Message 4 of 10
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@Bees18 wrote:

Sure, stats are 780 fico

10% util

Discover at 3k

Cap one Savor 12k

two amex business cards-

Amamzon business 16k

Amex Blue Cash 30k 0% apr for 9 months 

Pending on how long it is going to take you to pay off, i would go with your hubby's Amex BC for 0% for 9monthsSmiley Happy

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 5 of 10
Bees18
Frequent Contributor

That's what we were thinking, but that's the only new card just opened two weeks ago. Do you think Amex would spook to see a couple thousand dollar charge 30 days opening it? And would they mind a body shop charge on a Biz card. The shop takes credit card or applepay according to their website.

Message 6 of 10
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Bees18 wrote:

That's what we were thinking, but that's the only new card just opened two weeks ago. Do you think Amex would spook to see a couple thousand dollar charge 30 days opening it? And would they mind a body shop charge on a Biz card. The shop takes credit card or applepay according to their website.

They won't mind and AMEX really doesn't care per say what charges go on what cards you have with them whether personal or business on either or. If you want to make sure there will be no issues contact customer service to let them know ahead of time the charge is incoming.

Message 7 of 10
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Jnbmom wrote:

@Bees18 wrote:

Sure, stats are 780 fico

10% util

Discover at 3k

Cap one Savor 12k

two amex business cards-

Amamzon business 16k

Amex Blue Cash 30k 0% apr for 9 months 

Pending on how long it is going to take you to pay off, i would go with your hubby's Amex BC for 0% for 9monthsSmiley Happy

Absolutely OP put the charge on the $30K AmX. Even if it was the full $4K, that’s just 13% UT. No sense in getting a new card, which will reduce AAOA even more. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you sure you want to repair the car? $4,000 of damage to modern car (meaning not a classic or otherwise appreciating car) means it’s prertty much toast.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Are you sure you want to repair the car? $4,000 of damage to modern car (meaning not a classic or otherwise appreciating car) means it’s prertty much toast.

That depends on what the car is. An entry level Honda Civic? Yeah, that's toast with $4k damage. An S-class mercedes? That could be hardly anything.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.