cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What cards can newly turned 18 year olds can get approved for?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What cards can newly turned 18 year olds can get approved for?

16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What cards can newly turned 18 year olds can get approved for?

Need some more info here. Why do you want a credit card? Do you have a job? Approx income? Are you an authorized user on any cards? Do you have any student loans or any type of credit history. Best bet would be start with as secured card like Discover fo $500 and go from there.
Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

My son is an authorized user on six of my cards—all of which are in good standing and have been opened longer than 4 years—and lives with my husband and I. He plans on going to a state school, and he has no job at the moment. My husband and I plan on supporting him through school until he gets a stable job. Smiley Wink 

Message 3 of 17
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My son is an authorized user on six of my cards—all of which are in good standing and have been opened longer than 4 years—and lives with my husband and I. He plans on going to a state school, and he has no job at the moment. My husband and I plan on supporting him through school until he gets a stable job. Smiley Wink 

If that's the case I would first check to see if he can get a student Discover if he plans to get a job (even part-time is enough) otherwise I would echo Timberland and go the secured route with Discover and possibly CapOne as well so he has two networks to work with for buying things.

Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

No need for a secured card if he is an autorized user for that many cards with good history IMO.  I think he should be safe applying for a regular card. 

Message 5 of 17
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

No need for a secured card if he is an autorized user for that many cards with good history IMO.  I think he should be safe applying for a regular card. 

If he doesn't have his own income to put on the app (OP said he doesn't have a job atm) there's no way he will be able to get a decent card out of the gate and that's even after the fact of his parents helping him out.

Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd suggest grabbing $500 secured cards from both Discover and Capital One.  After 6 months or whatever hopefully he has a part time job and can go ahead an unsecure them.  From there, he could app for 1 more major card that best suits his profile and then he'd have 3 cards of his own to go ahead and age together.  At that point some of the AU accounts could be dropped too.

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with everyone else. Get a Discover IT Secured for sure, and perhaps a Capital One Secured. If you had income, you could have gotten the Discover IT Unsecured, but without income for now, start with secured of any size. I started with the Secured IT, and it graduated after 7 months, returning my full deposit, and gave me a CLI up to $4600.
Message 8 of 17
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

He might be able to get a card from USB or BoA if you wouldn’t mind co-signing for a student version of the card.

If he can start out unsecured, that would be the way to go.
You can always have him app for the student chrome version and if they deny him. Call and use that same HP to recon a secured app

I would suggest having him sign up for creditchecktotal.com and look at his scores before applying

Most lenders state if you are under 21 that you are not able to include another persons income on your application. Not having a job, it might be difficult for him to get a card until he has some income.
But on the flip side of that, if you are giving him money and supporting him. Any money he receives is technically income.

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 9 of 17
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Shadowfactor wrote:

But on the flip side of that, if you are giving him money and supporting him. Any money he receives is technically income.

That's something I wouldn't count on at all.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.