Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What causes the "app itch"?

tag
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: What causes the "app itch"?

I have an approval addiction, i never said denials can join the party!!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 21 of 96
spengbab
Regular Contributor

Just graduated from college. I couldn't get any credit cards because my accounts showed "insufficient satisfactory performance"... so I finally got a Barclaycard after a recon. After that I let the floodgates open.

I figured if I opened 1 or 2 cards, it would increase my AAoA overtime but if I got another card it would ding it. So might as well just take a small hit and reap the benefits over time. I'm in no hurry to buy a car or a home so it worked out fine.

.... except for my credit score .... for now.

Barclaycard Apple Financing (2100), Discover More (2500), US Bank Visa Platinum (2000), CFNA (2200), Chase Freedom (500), Capital One (1500), HSBC Platinum Master Card (750), Nebraska Furniture Mart (1000)
Message 22 of 96
aftermath
Established Contributor

It's called the "Grass is greener on the other side" syndrome.

You want what your neighbor has, and in this case, your neighbor is the 1000000000000 other MyFico members on this forum. Smiley Indifferent

American Express Blue Cash Everyday $6600
Barclays US Airways Premier World Mastercard $14500
Chase Sapphire Preferred $5000
Chase Freedom Visa $1000
Chase United Explorer $8500
Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select Visa Signature $7500
Citi ThankYou Premier World Mastercard $7500
Message 23 of 96
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

To be honest, I really have never had an "itch".  Just app'd to see where my credit was. 

I wish I had found this site about 10 years ago, so I would have known better.  Honestly, if amex (I have to call them Sunday morning) offers me my account back or offers me the oasis, or anything.  I'll likely keep that card for life.  I'm so accustomed to paying cash for everything and flat-out refuse to pay interest, I personally have no reason to have credit cards other than for rental car purposes, which I rent often (the main reason why I got my orchard card, was tired of holds on my debit/checking).

So in short.  Once I get my stuff squared away. I'll app Amex for the backdating and call it a day(life).

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 24 of 96
TeeandDee
Frequent Contributor

@bichonmom wrote:

For 10 years, I couldn't get credit to save my life! After waiting 10 yrs for a BK to fall off, and another 2 to rebuild credit, it's such a nice feeling to know I can be approved for credit again. It's like I'm in a club that I couldn't join before.

I think Frugal is right. In so many ways, credit is something we have no control over. We can't control our FICO. And one mistake -- like heaven forbid be 1 day late on a payment -- stays with you for 7 years. IMO, that's very punitive. Apping is one area where we do have some control. We can choose to app or not. So, it could be exerting control in a situation where we have very little.

I get so excited about getting credit that I have to remind myself it's not really a big deal. I mean, it's not free money. If I charge something, I have to pay for it, and if I don't PIF, then I pay through the nose in interest (which I'm unwilling to do). Credit is really a means to an end -- you *need* credit to get things you want -- like a car and house. The cards themselves really shouldn't give me such a buzz, but they do. Smiley Surprised

+1 Smiley Happy

Slowly building....
Message 25 of 96
TeeandDee
Frequent Contributor

@FrugalRican wrote:

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:

@TeeandDee wrote:

This "Credit Card" forum! LOL!!!  All the great news about "Just got approved for this card" or got this offer in the mail!" or that card!!!! 

Don't laugh. This is part of the answer: Onnela JP, Reed-Tsochas F, Spontaneous emergence of social influence in online systems, Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, 2010 Oct 26; 107(43): 18375-80

Smiley Indifferent

To summarize: participation in online forums influences our behavior, that behavior tends to become more extreme over time, this happens unintentionally. In other words, the "app itch" is caused, to some degree, by participation in this forum.

I definitely agree with it.

It's a double-edged sword. Had it not been for these forums, I probably wouldn't have an AMEX BCE, but if it weren't for my sense of self-control and willpower, I'd probably have 13 more cards. The "Keeping up with the joneses" makes it way into some of the threads sometimes. You see the other guy app and get the 60K bonus miles and see his info is relatively similar to yours, so why not... and then you post about how you might app... and then someone else chimes in "DO IT!", so at that point, you got the validation you needed... except, the other people aren't getting hit with INQ's but you are.

I wonder if people DID get hard pulls for suggesting credit card apps, if we'd see a much deader Credit Card forum.

SOOOOOOOO TRUE!!!!!!!!!!  

Slowly building....
Message 26 of 96
AF_23
Frequent Contributor

Registering to this forum automatically does. Ugh, i swear it was a mistake some days. Smiley TongueSmiley Embarassed

Message 27 of 96
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

Keeping up with the Joneses, immaturity, impatience, constant demand for instant gratification, lack of self discipline/control, being in a hurry and not knowing your place, and boredom are all likely contributors from what I've seen.
EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 28 of 96
JenniferinFL
Frequent Contributor

The sudden realiziation that there's some you might qualify for.. lol

Hadn't applied for new credit in 5 years. Realized I could, first one got approved and it was such a high I tried another, got that, and another, got that and now have gotten denied for 3 and one more pending. So, I'm done app'ing now.

After the first three, I app'ed ones that I noticed others with similar scores getting.

Hopefully that has my app itch fixed..

Current Cards: Cap 1 Journey $3000, Cap 1 Playstation $2250, WFNNB Store Cards $2450 combined, Target $700, CareCredit $1700, Barclay Rewards Plat. Mastercard $1800, Old Navy $300, DCU Platinum Rewards Visa $2000, Swagbucks Rewards Visa $1000

Starting Score: 615 EQ (03-15-2012) 600 TU (03-21-2012 Barclays app) ) Ch.7 discharged 5/2009

Current Score: 671 EQ (09-27-2014 DCU) 660 TU (9/26/14 Barclays) Ex 688 (10/07/2014 Swagbucks)

Gardening since 9/22/2014

Message 29 of 96
payingoffdebt001
Frequent Contributor

For YEARS I never even applied for anything thinking I had bad credit and I was just fine! But NOW..oh my gosh its a wicked feeling knowing you might get approved.

I went on a madd app spree the other day and got 9 new accounts out of it - sat in front of the computer & never left the house the entire time!  Must be an addiction - that high was wickedSmiley LOL!!! i still have it but I'm getting denied because of recent accts & inquiries so I must stop - I've hit a wallSmiley Sad.

Message 30 of 96
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.