What causes the "app itch"?

tag
BlueNightStar
Regular Contributor

Re: What causes the "app itch"?

@LS2982 wrote:

@BlueNightStar wrote:

@JaysonT wrote:

My experience says they will start to notice and when they do they will welcome you into "their fold".  You have made excellent progress and will soon be at the point where you can be the choosy one instead of the creditors.  When you get that level of choice, that's a powerful feeling.  BTW, I don't believe that is a "ridiculous though process" just the need for acknowledgement of the work you have done.  That is the reason for this board, people here will acknowledge your achievements much more quickly giving you that little boost to keep on track.

Thank you so much for the encouraging words. It really does make a difference. I so want to believe that this will pay off someday but it does get discouraging at times watching my scores only increase by 3 or 4 points when I'm making such large (for me) payments to get out of debt. The thought of them starting to notice at some point in time gives me hope. Thank you for taking the time to post.

It will pay off, however it is a slow process and meant to make you more responsible with your credit.

Yes, it has been a hard lesson going from "I make the minimum payment on time every month so what is the problem with a maxed out card" to PIF.  The most important thing I've learned is that my credit lines are not an extension of my salary.

Message 81 of 96
JaysonT
Regular Contributor

@BlueNightStar wrote:

Yes, it has been a hard lesson going from "I make the minimum payment on time every month so what is the problem with a maxed out card" to PIF.  The most important thing I've learned is that my credit lines are not an extension of my salary.

If you learn nothing more from this site ever again, you have learned what you need to make the right choices.

Message 82 of 96
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@BlueNightStar wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

@BlueNightStar wrote:

@JaysonT wrote:

My experience says they will start to notice and when they do they will welcome you into "their fold".  You have made excellent progress and will soon be at the point where you can be the choosy one instead of the creditors.  When you get that level of choice, that's a powerful feeling.  BTW, I don't believe that is a "ridiculous though process" just the need for acknowledgement of the work you have done.  That is the reason for this board, people here will acknowledge your achievements much more quickly giving you that little boost to keep on track.

Thank you so much for the encouraging words. It really does make a difference. I so want to believe that this will pay off someday but it does get discouraging at times watching my scores only increase by 3 or 4 points when I'm making such large (for me) payments to get out of debt. The thought of them starting to notice at some point in time gives me hope. Thank you for taking the time to post.

It will pay off, however it is a slow process and meant to make you more responsible with your credit.

Very good point!!!!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 83 of 96
laboi_22
Established Contributor

I feel like it's not quite app addiction so much as "I've got a plan on what cards I want in my wallet". I once had horrible credit. After years of paying cash only, I was able to have a clean slate. Once that slate was clean, I purchased a home. I was in possession of no credit cards. I needed a credit card for work (work expenses) due to a new job. The only bank that would approve me due to  lack of credit was Orchard Bank. Then came Capital One. Then I got interested in obtaining prime cards with rewards since I realized that finally people want me as a customer. I began to expect approvals and was shocked when declined because "I have good credit--they are the stupid ones by declining me, they are loosing out.  I researched the best and most "illusive" cards to have in my wallet. I applied ALOT so I could round out my wallet. Now that my wallet is complete, I don't app anymore.

I do have to say though, that looking back, I would have SLOWLY added my most wanted cards. I was so determined to get the cards I want, I couldn't see past anything else. Now I'm in garden mode, but stuck with high APRs and some low CLs. I should have listened to the advice of the gardeners here, but I wanted what I wanted without truly understanding that getting approved with less than stellar terms would have me in a credit card rut. Although I'm happy with the cards I have, I know it will be a long battle to reach my credit goals. I know now that I have to be patient, and understand that getting in with Chase (I WANTED that so BAD) was not worth it. I should have waited a year and gone for the $10,000 CL with the 17% APR. 

Lessons learned...Such is life.

LS and Appbar--the app addition is normal because you want every card you've been dreaming of. Keep in mind that once you get all your cards (by ways of "short term" gardening) you will be excited to have a complete dream wallet. You will then be posting on here all the time about how you are stuck with low CLs and high APRs and we won't be able to help you out. My advice to that problem, as it arises, is garden, garden, garden, then close the cards that won't budge, and then reapply. This will be your only recourse. Sucks though that all the applying and getting approved now will end up not growing and closed only to have to reapply thereby damaging AAoA and adding more inquiries. 

Current Scores: EX - 728 FICO (5/11/13) TU - 771 FICO (7/02/13) EQ ??

Current Cards: Chase Freedom $5,000, CSP $5,700, BofA Visa Signature $15,000, AMEX BCE $6,000, Walmart $4,150, Gap Visa $10,000, JC Penny $5,800, Lowes $8,500, Dillard's AMEX $8,000, AMEX Hilton HHonors - $2,000, Chase United $12,000, Citi AAdvantage & Simplicity $6,000/$6,000, SPG AMEX $1,000
Message 84 of 96
LS2982
Mega Contributor

I dont think Ill have that problem. I have all the cards I want and gardening for a full year while pruning a few accounts should set me up for a 1 card a year type deal with good CL's

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 85 of 96
the_jan_b
Established Contributor

@TeeandDee wrote:

This "Credit Card" forum! LOL!!!  All the great news about "Just got approved for this card" or got this offer in the mail!" or that card!!!! 

+1!

Enjoying your freedom? Thank a servicemember and their family!

In the garden since 26 Jun 14...

I am digitaldiva's alter-ego

Message 86 of 96
LS2982
Mega Contributor

This forum definitely can feed an app addiction. But in all honesty you have to have the willpower not to app and not use this forum as a crutch for your weakness (I include myself in this because its true for me this forum has got me to app on a few occasions but thats on me)

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 87 of 96
Open123
Super Contributor

@laboi_22 wrote:

My advice to that problem, as it arises, is garden, garden, garden, then close the cards that won't budge, and then reapply. 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Good advice.

In my view, the best way to build is to chose Amex + 2 Prime Banks (Citi, Chase, BofA, Discover), use and pay off the cards building a relationship with the three. Over time, you'll receive CLs commensurate with your account performance and history.  When you have 10k CLs, your next app will invariably match the 10k leading to higher CLs, as opposed to being constantly approved for the 1k - 3k CLs.

In the beginning before getting the Primes, it is essential to get rid of close the low limit starter cards.  Knowing when to close low limit cards is an essential part to building or rebuilding, in my estimation.

Message 88 of 96
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@laboi_22 wrote:

My advice to that problem, as it arises, is garden, garden, garden, then close the cards that won't budge, and then reapply. 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Good advice.

In my view, the best way to build is to chose Amex + 2 Prime Banks (Citi, Chase, BofA, Discover), use and pay off the cards building a relationship with the three. Over time, you'll receive CLs commensurate with your account performance and history.  When you have 10k CLs, your next app will invariably match the 10k leading to higher CLs, as opposed to being constantly approved for the 1k - 3k CLs.

In the beginning before getting the Primes, it is essential to get rid of close the low limit starter cards.  Knowing when to close low limit cards is an essential part to building or rebuilding, in my estimation.

+1

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 89 of 96
notyou
Valued Member

Bluenight and I must be reading out of the same book because It took me a little while to learn those same lessons!

Message 90 of 96
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.