Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What cc do you use for airfare

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What cc do you use for airfare

Tis the season, flyin' season. So esteemed MyFicoers, what do you use;

I can use 4 travel portals thanks to CCs; Chase, Cap 1, Citi, and Elan. Only used Chase portal so far, for 200 cheap roundtrip ones to Florida and Chicago(naturally since my limit is still 500) but at times received revised times, once even had to call Chase which I'm loathe to do due to hard of hearing.  Dunno if this is a portal issue or airline issue like Spirit. Some say don't use portal for booking, in case of cancelling, etc.

Now, since I have AA MileUp, and also having received Premier Silver status from United;

AA flights; naturally MileUp for x2 miles, the card also has the biggest SL, 7300

Delta; buy gift cards from nearby Vons/Stater Bros supermarket, also using MileUp and earn x2 AA Miles Smiley LOL  nota bene you won't earn Delta miles booking Economy, so at least you can earn AA miles with it Smiley LOL Same goes to SW, those 2 are the only airlines which sells gift cards at those places.

United; Citi CC, select travels 5%! Thinking of taking at least 2 flights this winter, utilizing that Premier Silver status(1 checked bag, priority boarding, etc.)

Spirit; soured on it, dunno I guess CCC as well if I don't need a free carry on. 

I could also use Penfed PCR for flat 2% I guess. Oh forgot WF Bilt, x2 travels and x4 on the 1st day of each month! I do have plenty of options..Smiley Very Happy

I heard Amex Plat is best for this kind of purchase, or Amex Gold, but do tell!

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
1LostArk
Regular Contributor

Re: What cc do you use for airfare

I would personally never use a travel portal of any kind, I've heard too many horror stories — I'd always book directly with the airline. I don't fly enough to faff about with the airline miles game (and not sure I would even if I did), I just charge any and all airfare to the ol' Platinum, and/or any card I'm trying to get a SUB for.

Business Cards:
Message 2 of 21
Hansolojr
Contributor

I use GreenState CU World Mastercard for 5% cash back; redemption starts at $50

You can join the CU for free via American Consumer Council membership...just call GreenState and say you want to join via the ACC

Message 3 of 21
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I don't spend a whole lot on flights as far as regular CC purchases. By the time I factor in the use of miles earned via SUBs and card spend, 35% back Delta/Amex Business Platinum MR redemptions, companion passes, United Travel bank funds...that's a lot of my airline spend.

But I favor Amex Platinum for 5x MRs and flight-related protections. I get the free checked bag perk from Delta Platinum Amex regardless of the card I use.

I've just added a United Explorer for the 70k SUB and free checked bag when paying with the card. So I'll use that on most United flights. United Travel Bank funds (to earn Schwab/BofA PR statement credits for "airfare extras") are good for something like five years so I guess I'll use those funds on flights where I'm just carrying on and don't need to check a bag.

Making use of available "use it or lose it" statement credits is a good reason to buy airline gift cards...but just accumulating them for 2x AA miles wouldn't be worth the effort, potential for hassle, and loss of protections for me. And keep in mind that CC miles are different from butt-in-seat miles. You'd still earn CC miles booking a Delta flight.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 21
markhs777
Regular Contributor

The one with the miles or credit that allows me to fly without any cash outlay. In other words there are so many variables when it comes to choosing what card to use for airfare.

Message 5 of 21
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@1LostArk wrote:

I would personally never use a travel portal of any kind, I've heard too many horror stories — I'd always book directly with the airline. I don't fly enough to faff about with the airline miles game (and not sure I would even if I did), I just charge any and all airfare to the ol' Platinum, and/or any card I'm trying to get a SUB for.

Right, portals and other OTA can cause problems is something happens and you need to make changes.  Airlines will tell you that you need to contact the agency that made the booking and sometimes when quick action is needed (I need to book on the flight leaving in 45 mins) that won't work.

Here the US Bank Altitude Reserve can be good, as you can book directly with (some) airlines and then redeem points with Real Time Rewards.  (You only earn 3x points rather than 5x booking through their portal, but that's OK)

Message 6 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14 wrote:

I don't spend a whole lot on flights as far as regular CC purchases. By the time I factor in the use of miles earned via SUBs and card spend, 35% back Delta/Amex Business Platinum MR redemptions, companion passes, United Travel bank funds...that's a lot of my airline spend.

But I favor Amex Platinum for 5x MRs and flight-related protections. I get the free checked bag perk from Delta Platinum Amex regardless of the card I use.

I've just added a United Explorer for the 70k SUB and free checked bag when paying with the card. So I'll use that on most United flights. United Travel Bank funds (to earn Schwab/BofA PR statement credits for "airfare extras") are good for something like five years so I guess I'll use those funds on flights where I'm just carrying on and don't need to check a bag.

Making use of available "use it or lose it" statement credits is a good reason to buy airline gift cards...but just accumulating them for 2x AA miles wouldn't be worth the effort, potential for hassle, and loss of protections for me. And keep in mind that CC miles are different from butt-in-seat miles. You'd still earn CC miles booking a Delta flight.

pray for me that I get Delta Gold which I apped on Friday, @longtimelurker too lol, it'll be great if I don't need to pay for $277 Delta Main Cabin flight for the Tucson birding trip next month(applying stmt credit!) Smiley LOL  Pyrrhuloxia! Sparrows! etc.!

Message 7 of 21
C6
Regular Contributor

Cap 1 for 5x miles or Greenstate for 5% cashback.

Message 8 of 21
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

Buying airfare can have endless choices.  Miles, points, cashback, portals etc.  You name them.

Travel portals getting popular and may some day replace OTA sites like Empedia.   All those big boys like AmEx, Chase, Cap1, Citi.  And even the others like BofA, Wells Fargo, US Bank etc have their own travel portals.  Most will be happy to book through them other than OTAs.  

In general, if you get some favorite airlines that you use often, then build around with that.  But you really need to focus on those.  

When you get to the airline elite status, then you are not limited by the "portal" thing.  You could get on the same day standby, or the same day ticket change.  All come at no cost.  

Message 9 of 21
iced
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I can use 4 travel portals thanks to CCs; Chase, Cap 1, Citi, and Elan. Only used Chase portal so far, for 200 cheap roundtrip ones to Florida and Chicago(naturally since my limit is still 500) but at times received revised times, once even had to call Chase which I'm loathe to do due to hard of hearing.  Dunno if this is a portal issue or airline issue like Spirit. Some say don't use portal for booking, in case of cancelling, etc.

Now, since I have AA MileUp, and also having received Premier Silver status from United;

AA flights; naturally MileUp for x2 miles, the card also has the biggest SL, 7300

Delta; buy gift cards from nearby Vons/Stater Bros supermarket, also using MileUp and earn x2 AA Miles Smiley LOL  nota bene you won't earn Delta miles booking Economy, so at least you can earn AA miles with it Smiley LOL Same goes to SW, those 2 are the only airlines which sells gift cards at those places.

United; Citi CC, select travels 5%! Thinking of taking at least 2 flights this winter, utilizing that Premier Silver status(1 checked bag, priority boarding, etc.)

Spirit; soured on it, dunno I guess CCC as well if I don't need a free carry on. 

I could also use Penfed PCR for flat 2% I guess. Oh forgot WF Bilt, x2 travels and x4 on the 1st day of each month! I do have plenty of options..Smiley Very Happy

@Anonymous wrote:

What I use and what will work best for you are going to be two different things since we have vastly different travel habits.

If you're just asking what I use though, American Express Platinum directly via airline website (usually delta.com or united.com). 5x points for airfare and the points are transferable to SkyMiles so it effectively makes each airfare ticket 12-14 miles/dollar for me and 5 miles/dollar for my family members, at least when I'm booking on Delta -- which is most of the time.

The only time I'll use a portal like Expedia/Kayak is if the route is not served by any of my go-to airlines, and even then it's usually to figure out who does fly where I'm going then book with them directly. This is also pretty rare, as the only times I've had to do this are on the odd international regional leg.

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.