cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What credit card should I apply for next?

tag
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: What credit card should I apply for next?

@SCYD wrote:

@SCYD wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@SCYD wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Unless it's a Visa Signature I don't see the fuss about getting a Visa just to get one. Places like Sams don't even take Visa.

Have him get a MC, unless it's a Visa Signature.

Even if it is a Visa Signature there isn't much fuss, as the benefits are not anything most people are going to even use. It's basically the word "Signature" and a fancier logo.

I agree with not getting a Visa just to get it, though. It really doesn't matter.

He has a MC with Capital one right now.  No big deal whether the next one is Visa or Mastercard, just a card he can use everywhere  and will grow.

+1 get the barclay and another cap1 if he is pre-qual.... if you don't get gas at chevron don't get a chevron card just for a sync card... 3 cards is actually the perfect building number so unless others are useful then don't bother until he gets up to the next range probably later this year for chase, amex, citi and such.

Does Barclay not have  a pre-approval link anymore?

And he burned Citibank and Chase in Bankruptcy, so they are out of the question.  He didn't have  an Amex before, so maybe he might eb able to get one later this yyear or next year.

One more question, the credit union he joined is not that great.  he doesn't qualify for NFCU or USAA (he burned USAA), any other recommendations for a credit union, as he will need a car loan at some point as well.

DCU and some have had great luck with Nasa, I was not one of them.

Message 21 of 27
SCYD
Regular Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

nope... oh and actually they don't really like "new" credit... is he under 1 year history?

YES..  He has old cards that he closed and were in good standing.  He then filed bankruptcy in 2011.  He is an authorized user on a Bank of America card and has been since 2011.  And he just got a new Capital One in January.

So it's that considered under 1 year?

BK 7 DC'd 10/2010
Scores (03/17/16): EQ: 704 / TU: 725 / EX: 694 / Cap1 QS1: 6.5K / CU: 7.5K /
JC Penney: 10K/ Chevron: 4K / Target: 500 / Macy's 17.2K/ NFCU Sig. Visa Cash Reward:22K / NFCU Flagship 22K/NavChk:15K / NavChk:7.5K(joint)/WF Plat:15K / WF Propel Amex:5K/DIscover 10K/USAA Visa 14K/USAA Amex 14K/Nordstrom 10K/TJ MAxx 10K/BP Visa 6.5K
Message 22 of 27
SCYD
Regular Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@SCYD wrote:

@SCYD wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@SCYD wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Unless it's a Visa Signature I don't see the fuss about getting a Visa just to get one. Places like Sams don't even take Visa.

Have him get a MC, unless it's a Visa Signature.

Even if it is a Visa Signature there isn't much fuss, as the benefits are not anything most people are going to even use. It's basically the word "Signature" and a fancier logo.

I agree with not getting a Visa just to get it, though. It really doesn't matter.

He has a MC with Capital one right now.  No big deal whether the next one is Visa or Mastercard, just a card he can use everywhere  and will grow.

+1 get the barclay and another cap1 if he is pre-qual.... if you don't get gas at chevron don't get a chevron card just for a sync card... 3 cards is actually the perfect building number so unless others are useful then don't bother until he gets up to the next range probably later this year for chase, amex, citi and such.

Does Barclay not have  a pre-approval link anymore?

And he burned Citibank and Chase in Bankruptcy, so they are out of the question.  He didn't have  an Amex before, so maybe he might eb able to get one later this yyear or next year.

One more question, the credit union he joined is not that great.  he doesn't qualify for NFCU or USAA (he burned USAA), any other recommendations for a credit union, as he will need a car loan at some point as well.

DCU and some have had great luck with Nasa, I was not one of them.

Great.  Will  look into it.  Thanks a bunch Smiley Happy

BK 7 DC'd 10/2010
JC Penney: 10K/ Chevron: 4K / Target: 500 / Macy's 17.2K/ NFCU Sig. Visa Cash Reward:22K / NFCU Flagship 22K/NavChk:15K / NavChk:7.5K(joint)/WF Plat:15K / WF Propel Amex:5K/DIscover 10K/USAA Visa 14K/USAA Amex 14K/Nordstrom 10K/TJ MAxx 10K/BP Visa 6.5K
Message 23 of 27
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@SCYD wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

nope... oh and actually they don't really like "new" credit... is he under 1 year history?

YES..  He has old cards that he closed and were in good standing.  He then filed bankruptcy in 2011.  He is an authorized user on a Bank of America card and has been since 2011.  And he just got a new Capital One in January.

So it's that considered under 1 year?

not sure if barclay will consider it but might be worth a try.

Wait your with Navy, why isn't he eligible, burn them in the bk?

Message 24 of 27
SCYD
Regular Contributor

We're not married or related.  He's only a good friend.

BK 7 DC'd 10/2010
Message 25 of 27
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@SCYD wrote:

live together?!

Message 26 of 27
SCYD
Regular Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@SCYD wrote:

live together?!

No.  I don't think  my husband would approve Smiley Wink.  His stepfather  was retired military I believe, but he  passed away 2 years ago. and he was military, but not active or retired.

i would love to get him in with NFCU.  You turned me to the NFCU and I love them.

BK 7 DC'd 10/2010
Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.