cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What credit cards to get with fair credit rating?

tag
guydiver
Established Contributor

Re: What credit cards to get with fair credit rating?

@gettnthere wrote:
Something isn't adding up here. How in the world do you have a credit score of 585 but no negatives at all? Have you pulled your reports and FICO's lately?

You know, I thought that a split second after i read the post, then had to re-read to make sure I saw what I think I saw.  I don't even think you can have 100% util. or worse and score anywhere near that low with no baddies reporting.  Gotta be something else to it.

Message 31 of 49
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@guydiver wrote:

@gettnthere wrote:
Something isn't adding up here. How in the world do you have a credit score of 585 but no negatives at all? Have you pulled your reports and FICO's lately?

You know, I thought that a split second after i read the post, then had to re-read to make sure I saw what I think I saw.  I don't even think you can have 100% util. or worse and score anywhere near that low with no baddies reporting.  Gotta be something else to it.

Perhaps if you sleuths paid a little more attention, you'd note that OP reported a 585 for EX.  Now it's possible that OP really has an EX FICO score from a lender, but typically when we see a relatively new poster give their EX score, we try to ensure that they are looking at a FICO rather than a FAKO (which at least one poster has done).  I'm sure a FAKO of 585 is possible with no negatives other than high utilization.

OP, not sure what your goal is.  Are you trying to do a balance transfer to a lower interest card.  Just trying to lower utilization?  While obviously paying down debt is the best way to lower utilization, another quick way to lower utilization is to have someone add you as an AU if it is a card with relatively high limit and little to no use.  Of course, for maximum effect, you want it to be a card with long history and no negatives.  It could then improve your AAoA as well.

To many of the more negative commenters on this thread, no one is saying that a little tough love isn't helpful sometimes.  But there's no point in piling it on.  After the fourth person has made the point, the rest of you just sound like you want to hear yourselves speak.  There can be a lot of reasons that people end up in the situations they are in, and a good deal of us posting here have been there before.  The fact is, there are tricks to this game.  Adding an AU can greatly improve utilization, which could then increase a person's score to the point that they are eligible for a 0% BT they might not have been eligible for, which could save the person substantial money.  Sure, it's good to also throw out a warning that the person not then run up balances again on the card they just transferred debt off of.  But try throwing out that warning while also responding to the OP's question. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 32 of 49
guydiver
Established Contributor

@Walt_K wrote:

@guydiver wrote:

@gettnthere wrote:

Perhaps if you sleuths paid a little more attention, you'd note that OP reported a 585 for EX.  Now it's possible that OP really has an EX FICO score from a lender, but typically when we see a relatively new poster give their EX score, we try to ensure that they are looking at a FICO rather than a FAKO (which at least one poster has done).  I'm sure a FAKO of 585 is possible with no negatives other than high utilization.

OP, not sure what your goal is.  Are you trying to do a balance transfer to a lower interest card.  Just trying to lower utilization?  While obviously paying down debt is the best way to lower utilization, another quick way to lower utilization is to have someone add you as an AU if it is a card with relatively high limit and little to no use.  Of course, for maximum effect, you want it to be a card with long history and no negatives.  It could then improve your AAoA as well.

To many of the more negative commenters on this thread, no one is saying that a little tough love isn't helpful sometimes.  But there's no point in piling it on.  After the fourth person has made the point, the rest of you just sound like you want to hear yourselves speak.  There can be a lot of reasons that people end up in the situations they are in, and a good deal of us posting here have been there before.  The fact is, there are tricks to this game.  Adding an AU can greatly improve utilization, which could then increase a person's score to the point that they are eligible for a 0% BT they might not have been eligible for, which could save the person substantial money.  Sure, it's good to also throw out a warning that the person not then run up balances again on the card they just transferred debt off of.  But try throwing out that warning while also responding to the OP's question. 

I stand by my observation, which was all it was.  Multiple accounts, no baddies, and a sub 600 score of some sort.  And if you bother to look at my resistration date you will see that I abviously don't post just to hear myself speak.  This observation comes from someone with a previous 580 something score, 54 total lates of 30, 60, 90,and 120 days and a charge-off, and hundreds upon hundreds of hours on these forums over the past 7 years(I was a lurker for two years).  You see, I am speaking from experience, which disqualifies your "sleuth" assertation.  My comment in no way demeans or criticizes the OP, or piling on anything previously said other than to agree with the single post that something wasn't adding up here.  End of rant.  Have a nice day.

Message 33 of 49
distantarray
Established Contributor

@Walt_K wrote:

@guydiver wrote:

@gettnthere wrote:

Perhaps if you sleuths paid a little more attention, you'd note that OP reported a 585 for EX.  Now it's possible that OP really has an EX FICO score from a lender, but typically when we see a relatively new poster give their EX score, we try to ensure that they are looking at a FICO rather than a FAKO (which at least one poster has done).  I'm sure a FAKO of 585 is possible with no negatives other than high utilization. No offense but I know why my credit looked like a year ago, and it takes work to get that kinda score with no negatives....

OP, not sure what your goal is.  Are you trying to do a balance transfer to a lower interest card.  Just trying to lower utilization?  While obviously paying down debt is the best way to lower utilization, another quick way to lower utilization is to have someone add you as an AU if it is a card with relatively high limit and little to no use.  Of course, for maximum effect, you want it to be a card with long history and no negatives.  It could then improve your AAoA as well. I really REALLY doubt that a person that maxed out all their cards and trying to apply for more in 1 hour before the negatives hit is worried about a lower interest card to transfer balances, and would never get approved in the first place. Remember they're also looking for sub prime lenders and which they never allow you to balance transfer or give you a high enough limit to lower a 85% utilization effectively.

To many of the more negative commenters on this thread, no one is saying that a little tough love isn't helpful sometimes.  But there's no point in piling it on.  After the fourth person has made the point, the rest of you just sound like you want to hear yourselves speak.  There can be a lot of reasons that people end up in the situations they are in, and a good deal of us posting here have been there before.  The fact is, there are tricks to this game.  Adding an AU can greatly improve utilization, which could then increase a person's score to the point that they are eligible for a 0% BT they might not have been eligible for, which could save the person substantial money.  Sure, it's good to also throw out a warning that the person not then run up balances again on the card they just transferred debt off of.  But try throwing out that warning while also responding to the OP's question.  Sometimes you need TONS of tough love and to pile it on before they realize they have a REAL problem, you know there's a thing called a denial stage. Also sure there are tricks to everything, but this person was obviously just looking for another credit card to max out before their scores take a dip.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 34 of 49
DonMzBhavin
New Contributor

+1.  I agree in tough love but geez it seems as though the halloween lynching mob came out tonight

Starting Score: 467
Current Score: 661
Goal Score: 795

Post BK Wallet: Target VISA $10,000 (AU) | NFCU Credit Card $5,000| Walmart $1100| Cap One Platinum $3000 | Amazon $1150 | Discover It Card $500 | Cap One Secured $500 | PayPal Smart Connect $500 | Lane Bryant $1130| Dressbarn $750 |NY & Company $250| Victoria's Secret $250 | Target Store Charge $200 |Capital One Auto Finance
Message 35 of 49
DonMzBhavin
New Contributor

Exactly! Constructive criticism not a maximum beatdown. I agree lowering you util is key and also working to get that 30 day late off is important.

Starting Score: 467
Current Score: 661
Goal Score: 795

Post BK Wallet: Target VISA $10,000 (AU) | NFCU Credit Card $5,000| Walmart $1100| Cap One Platinum $3000 | Amazon $1150 | Discover It Card $500 | Cap One Secured $500 | PayPal Smart Connect $500 | Lane Bryant $1130| Dressbarn $750 |NY & Company $250| Victoria's Secret $250 | Target Store Charge $200 |Capital One Auto Finance
Message 36 of 49
distantarray
Established Contributor

@DonMzBhavin wrote:

+1.  I agree in tough love but geez it seems as though the halloween lynching mob came out tonight

can't really blame them, this is a board that's supposed to help people make better credit decisions, like if you saw someone cutting themselves you wouldn't go WOOO WOO KEEP GOING! Robot Indifferent well maybe..... on second though =D

Message 37 of 49
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

This topic is closed and under moderation review...

soon. hahaha.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 38 of 49
distantarray
Established Contributor

@DonMzBhavin wrote:

Exactly! Constructive criticism not a maximum beatdown. I agree lowering you util is key and also working to get that 30 day late off is important.

I hope you know they also posted the same questions on other boards getting the same results, so yea it's probably just a troll anyways

Message 39 of 49
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@maiden_girl wrote:

This topic is closed and under moderation review...

soon. hahaha.

Not quite, but a kind reminder to everyone to play nice.

Message 40 of 49
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.