Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What credit cards will you NOT carry?

tag
CreditDrama85
Established Contributor

What credit cards will you NOT carry?

ive been managing my credit for 6 years. and in that time, i have learned there are cards that simply do not work for me and i will therefore never carry them again. are these cards/banks on anyone else's sh*t list?

cards i will NEVER carry:

-AMEX
-CHASE
-HSBC

cards i will continue to carry or obtain:

-Capital One
-Wells Fargo
-Discover
-US Bank
-Citi
-Fifth Third Bk

does anyone else feel this way?

Message Edited by CreditDrama85 on 09-21-2008 10:52 AM
Message 1 of 45
44 REPLIES 44
GFer
Valued Contributor

Re: What credit cards will you NOT carry?

Can I ask why you would not carry them?

EQ 817, EX 815, TU 813 (Updated 1/5/18: TU 843

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 45
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

I don't carry my Chase and Amex, but I do use them.

Chase - has some monthly payments and is my daughter's "emergency card".  So I just PIF it every month.

Amex - I am building for the future when I have to pay for my own travel.  It pays utilities. and if I go on vacation of buy a big item I use it (and let them know I am spending out of pattern).

I carry my gas card and my CU (low interest) card, and use my gas card almost exclusively (cheap gas!)
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 3 of 45
CreditDrama85
Established Contributor

AMEX: i think you can find the reason for not carrying amex on the forums. they closed all 3 of my amex accounts and demanded payment on revolving accounts due to change in my cb report. accounts were "closed by consumer. paid account/was a charge-off."

CHASE: ratejacked me to 29%. (must have been universal default). then told me that my account was being re-aged and they never did it (which resulted in 4 months of the account being recorded past due with the credit bureaus).

HSBC: cards in general have poor customer service and sketchy interest. i have had 2 HSBC accounts. both poor customer service and average interest/ fees are usually outrageous.

Message 4 of 45
GFer
Valued Contributor

Oh, wow! Nuff said.

EQ 817, EX 815, TU 813 (Updated 1/5/18: TU 843

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 45
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I have a couple on the chopping block:

• Barclay's, who just said I wasn't eligible for a CLI after 6+ months (waiting for the last few charges to post)
  • HSBC Best Buy, because it makes more sense to buy electronics and appliances with a CC that offers augmented warranties, plus it's HSBC
  • Sears MC next March, once my idiotic (I was the idiot) 30 day goes over 24 months, so that I can look at all green boxes.

I'm closing them because I don't need them and/or they're just plain crappy, although I will cringe when I give up the $2500 CL on the BB.
  • * Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
    FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
    Message 6 of 45
    Anonymous
    Not applicable

AMEX and Target because they suck! Wamu because without out rewards I have no reason to use the card.
    Message 7 of 45
    Anonymous
    Not applicable

I have a small stack of cards I don't carry-

Amex Gold, Delta, Blue cash, Simply cash - (see my AMEX posts)
    Capone personel- Have a small BT on it
    Capone Biz- Cl is useless  
    Kay- like I need the actaul card to use it anyways
    Sears- No need to carry this-
    Home Depot- was on Zero % until I paid it off- no room in wallet for it
    Juniper- APR to high- 1 auto charge and auto payment each month
    CCCU- I would close this if it had an AF.

So That leaves my carry cards:
    Discover
    WAMU X2
    AZFCU-

I think that covers all 12 cards.
    Message 8 of 45
    Miner
    Frequent Contributor

Will not carry AMEX or any credit card that has an annual fee.  What benefits AMEX offers are of little interest to me (or aren't a lot better then what I have on my other cc) when comparing hassle of a FR and having to pay them an anual fee.  They are making money by me using their card so they shouldn't charge me for it too.  And where I live, I find Discover accepted in more places then AMEX.
    Current FICO8: EQ:782, TU:754, EX:767 | 1x 30 day late 6yrs ago
    AAoA: 10 years; AAoOA: 13 months; Credit Length: 21 years
    INQ Eq: 3 / Tu: 5 (4 for auto) / Ex: 9 (5 for auto)
    Message 9 of 45
    haulingthescoreup
    Moderator Emerita

I should have said, if you're speaking literally of cards that I don't carry, but that I do have:

• BofA card, because it has a 0% BT on it, and I don't want to use it for purchases yet.
  • My USAA cards, because I have recurring charges on them, and USAA seems content with that.
  • J.Crew, because I only use it for online shopping.
  • Discover, because it's the AU card, and I don't consider it mine.

So I actually carry the Gold, the Chase Borders, the PenFed, and Home Depot.
  • * Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
    FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
    Message 10 of 45
    Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.