cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do I look for when choosing a CC to apply for?

tag
dizzier
Established Contributor

Re: What do I look for when choosing a CC to apply for?

fused has got a point. you don't have a revolving history, so even with good scores and the car note and mortgages you still might have a bit of a hard time.

i agree with fused. who do you bank with? see if they will approve you for a card. if you're with a credit union even better! my first cc was a b of a card (i was a b of a customer). they have some excellent prime cards like the BofA signature world points visa or mastercard.

Until Chase lowers my ridiculously high APR they can kiss my patootie! Their card has been retired to the sockdrawer. Smiley Mad
Message 11 of 15
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

AU is with AMEX, so she should be able to get her own with them no problem.
EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 12 of 15
dizzier
Established Contributor

well in that case... app away!

Until Chase lowers my ridiculously high APR they can kiss my patootie! Their card has been retired to the sockdrawer. Smiley Mad
Message 13 of 15
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

dizzier wrote:
well in that case... app away!

Actually to the best of my recollection, that was how I got my first CC... I was an AU on my fathers.  But that was 20 years ago so she might be wise to have her DH call and authorize them to speak with her regarding her AU account and if they can account review her to see if she meets the pre-quals.

I don't want her to take hits for no reason either.  Smiley Surprised 
EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

What I look for is unnecessary fees that companies seem to apply to try to milk you for all you're worth.  If they have exorbitant fees for everything under the sun and they are inflexible...those are companies I try to avoid.

Obviously I'm biased but Amex is good (god, do they write off every fee imaginable - not too flexible with apr though I got denied for reduced apr).  And Chase is really good, below average customer service and long hold times whenever I call, but they always give me what I need.
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.