Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do you all think?

tag
lov2xlr8
Established Member

What do you all think?

Hi all, long time reader, first time poster.

I graduated ~1y ago from grad school and have worked on rebuilding my credit, mid-20's, credit history is actually perfect in regards to on-time payments and all and my AAOA is about 5y, no hard pulls within the last year. The only negtaive was high utilization on 4 cards that helped me get through school. My utilizaton is now under 9% and my cs has jumped 100 points in 9m because of it. So here's my question: my goal card is the Chase Sapphire Preferred, my credit score from myfico is 763, annual income >100k stable job, but my cc limits are amex blue @ 2200, chase freedom @ 2000, boa amex @ 2500 and citi freedom @ 4000. So I have no card with limit >$5000 which i understand Chae likes to see. I have some upcoming trips and expenses so I wouls love to apply for CSP now for 40,000 point bonus (I'm preapproved per Chase website) and then request CLI's on all my other cards and then garden for a year, what do you all think? Will my income, credit score and history and good history with chase freedom make up for the no limits of >5k? Does the pre-approval link on their website hold up? Thanks in advance for your replies, have enjoyed reading all of your wisdom throughout the last year as I get myslef back on track!

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
lov2xlr8
Established Member

Re: What do you all think?

Also, forgot to mention! Unfortunately with a lot of schooling and no means to pay for it, I have student loans @ about 200k, though I dont believe that hurts, correct? Have never been late on a payment, all are in good standing, etc...

Message 2 of 15
SSA_2013
Frequent Contributor

@lov2xlr8 wrote:

Hi all, long time reader, first time poster.

@I graduated ~1y ago from grad school and have worked on rebuilding my credit, mid-20's, credit history is actually perfect in regards to on-time payments and all and my AAOA is about 5y, no hard pulls within the last year. The only negtaive was high utilization on 4 cards that helped me get through school. My utilizaton is now under 9% and my cs has jumped 100 points in 9m because of it. So here's my question: my goal card is the Chase Sapphire Preferred, my credit score from myfico is 763, annual income >100k stable job, but my cc limits are amex blue @ 2200, chase freedom @ 2000, boa amex @ 2500 and citi freedom @ 4000. So I have no card with limit >$5000 which i understand Chae likes to see. I have some upcoming trips and expenses so I wouls love to apply for CSP now for 40,000 point bonus (I'm preapproved per Chase website) and then request CLI's on all my other cards and then garden for a year, what do you all think? Will my income, credit score and history and good history with chase freedom make up for the no limits of >5k? Does the pre-approval link on their website hold up? Thanks in advance for your replies, have enjoyed reading all of your wisdom throughout the last year as I get myslef back on track!

The fact that you have a  Chase Freedom card and another card at $4,000, high income, etc...I'm sure you will be approved if you apped. Chase seems to be quite accurate in their pre-approval site so go ahead and update the post!

Message 3 of 15
CBTS
Frequent Contributor

I think you should be set! I got approved with a highest CL of $2000 reporting from Barclaycard for 9mos and a Freedom with $500 for 9mos also. AND the preapproval said no for me. So again, in my opinion, you're set for an approval!

Message 4 of 15
Dubious
Frequent Contributor

You should be able to request a CLI on the AmEx card. That might bring you up to 5k.

Message 5 of 15
LawStudentCivilis
Established Contributor

@Dubious wrote:

You should be able to request a CLI on the AmEx card. That might bring you up to 5k.

+1 go ahead and get your 3x CLI on your Amex while you're at it.

I think you'll be approved for CSP too.

Message 6 of 15
tjrssibelle
Valued Member

the Amex 3x CLI is a SP and you should be approved for that...I applied for the Chase sapphire and received a $8000 CL  with income similar to yours but less student loans; my highest limit at the time of $4500

Gardening as of 9/6/13
Message 7 of 15
lov2xlr8
Established Member

Thanks all! Great advice, will update in one month when I apply, just payed off citcard from what was a high utilization about 2 weeks ago, wanna make sure its been reported before I apply, thanks again!
Message 8 of 15
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

@lov2xlr8 wrote:
Thanks all! Great advice, will update in one month when I apply, just payed off citcard from what was a high utilization about 2 weeks ago, wanna make sure its been reported before I apply, thanks again!

Hey lov2xir8

As other's have stated, it won't hurt to have the Amex 3 X CLI under your belt if approved.  However, I am certain that if you applied right now.. you'd be approved likely with a CL in the 7.5K range to 12K range.  Your utility is good.  Your income good.  AAoA is also good.  JMHA.  I say go for it if your really don't want to wait.  Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 9 of 15
kilj0y
Regular Contributor

I would say go ahead and wait until everything is fully updated on your reports, no sense in getting approved now with only $5k when you can wait a month and get an even bigger initial CL as we know Chase is pretty hit or miss with auto cli. But your AMEX is good to go for 3x CLI with only a SP

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.