cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do you do if a place doesn't accept credit cards?

tag
Mrm-na
New Contributor

Re: What do you do if a place doesn't accept credit cards?

I've only recently become a frequent credit user.  It used to just be a fallback.

The cheapest gas stations around here don't take credit.  I use my debit card or cash there.
There is a single location gas station nearby which does take credit, but they add a surcharge.  I've calculated that it's still cheaper to use credit since I get 5% back.  The surcharge is like 2 or 3% worth.
Only the fancy expensive stations take credit without a surcharge.  After the 5% they are still more expensive than the cheap no-credit station, but the difference is cut down.  I have noticed that in some other areas of the country, those "fancy" stations are no more expensive than everybody else, but here in California, they're expensive.

I try to always keep $20-$40 of cash on me, I think it's a good idea to have that in case it's needed. If nothing else, it's a good thing to have in an emergency. I don't live in a crime ridden area but even if I did, a small amount of cash isn't much to worry about.
I don't mind using cash for minor purchases, but I don't need to do that very often.

Like most people, I normally shop in big chain stores to save money.  So on the rare occasion I'm buying from a small proprietor, I do prefer to use cash in order to maximize the value of that transaction.  It's better for them and I know they appreciate it.

My old habit when shopping was to use my debit card almost everywhere, but I prefer credit now.  One of the reasons is fraud - debit cards aren't as safe against fraud as credit cards are.  Take for example the Target problem that hit the news recently.  During the time period in question, I used my credit card a couple times, which I'm not very worried about.  However, my credit union had a cashback offer for Target recently so I did also use my debit there once. I wish I hadn't because now I have to worry about that debit card. If it gets used fraudulently, it will come straight out of my bank account.

Message 11 of 55
LearningMoreAboutCredit
Frequent Contributor

@chwebb1 wrote:

It amazes me that some businesses still don't accept credit cards in 2013 (almost 2014). I personally don't shop at places who won't at least take a Visa or MC since I don't carry cash. I'll be fairly likely to return if they take Amex and the product/service is good. How about you guys? What do you do if a place doesn't accept credit cards? Will you go in the first place if you know that they don't? Will you return?

If the business provides a quality product or service and they don't accept cc', I simply pay cash.  I'll get my rewards somewhere else that does accept cc's.

Any advice given is always YMMV...

Current FICOs: 740+ across the board | Goal: >760 FICO | Total CLs: $63.3k/$60k Goal | Utilization: 19% | Last App: 05/01/2014 | INQ: EX: 10, EQ: 8, TU: 5, All Expire 06/2016; No Collections/Charge Offs/BK's | AAoA: 7yrs.
| All Reports Frozen!!! | No Apps til 12/2015 | Homeowner since: 06/28/13 | White Whales: Marriott Rewards, Discover IT, Sallie Mae WMC, Sams MC
Message 12 of 55
Platinum
Frequent Contributor

They don't get my business. Simple and Clear. Smiley Happy
Message 13 of 55
eddie84
Valued Contributor

I'll just go to an ATM and get some cash in advance. lol  Some of those cash-only places around here are so good!  Smiley Tongue

Message 14 of 55
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

I cry for a minute.  Then, I go to the ATM and get cash.  I support all businesses regardless of payment method.

Message 15 of 55
kroberts67
Established Contributor

It's only annoying because I don't carry much cash.  It's really their choice.  I don't see the big whoop in boycotting, it just depends on how much cash I have with me and how back I want what their selling if I'll spend bucks on ATM fees.  Generally my boyfriend always carries cash, i carry cards.  Problem solved.  Smiley Wink

FICO: EQ 814 | TU 847 | EX ? (Started in the low 500's... you can do it!)

Amex BCE $25000, Amex AP $20000, SFFCU Visa $15000 + LOC $5000, USAA Amex $6000, USAA MC $7000, Cap1 $9500, Freedom $12000, Slate $500, Barclays "RIP" SM $11500, USBank Cash+ $12500, Citi Diamond $11200, Citi Double Cash $12000, Care Credit $13500k.
My Credit Repair Journey
Message 16 of 55
Radek7752
Contributor

@chwebb1 wrote:

It amazes me that some businesses still don't accept credit cards in 2013 (almost 2014). I personally don't shop at places who won't at least take a Visa or MC since I don't carry cash. I'll be fairly likely to return if they take Amex and the product/service is good. How about you guys? What do you do if a place doesn't accept credit cards? Will you go in the first place if you know that they don't? Will you return?

I used to be suspicious of stores and restaurants that did not accept credit cards, but that hasn't really been an issue as of late. I cannot think of a business I have been to recently that did not accept them. I probably would not return to a store that did not accept credit cards because it's a huge inconvenience for me to get cash. My primary bank is not in my college town and I don't like the idea of going to the grocery store to get cashback/deal with atm fees just so I can give a store my business.

I can't wait for those surcharges to help defray electricity expenses Smiley Indifferent.

BoA: Virgin Atlantic World Elite Mastercard
Chase: Sapphire Preferred (WMC)/Freedom/Amazon/Auto Loan (41k)
Citi: Thank You Preferred/Forward/Simplicity
AmEx: Zync/Blue Cash/Starwood Preferred
Discover: IT
GE: JCP/Walmart Discover
Message 17 of 55
revvystoke
Frequent Contributor

The one business I dislike are taxi companies. Many times I have been told stories about their card machines not working. I normally tip 20%+ but when I hear stuff like that they get no tip at all from me.
AkAir $50k | Marriott $65k | Local CU $8k
TU: 770 / EQ: 748 / EX: 769
Message 18 of 55
irrational
Frequent Contributor

I simply don't do business with places that don't accept credit or debit cards. I carry $0 in cash 99% of the time.

even the food trucks and farmer's markets have square readers... Can't imagine it's takes much effort these days to accepts cards.

Current Score: TU (discover) 720 - 6/29/14 | EQ (score watch) 777 - 7/19/14 - Last App 7/21/14

NPSL          |      $27,600         |      $15,000      |      $7,000      |     $2,800     |      $11,000    |      $13,530      |      $5,200
Message 19 of 55
sailor_mercury
Valued Contributor

There were two places I frequent that did not accept cards of any type, a dry cleaner and a donut shop.  The dry cleaner is a VERY VERY sweet older Vietnamese couple who must be in their 70's who speak very little english, they also have full tailoring and alterations and half the place is set up like a dress shop.  I have no problem with paying them cash for any service.  The donut shop is another long time neighborhood small business and most transactions are $5 or less.  They recently started accepting credit cards but I totally understand how merchant fees could kill their profit margins.  My son likes a donut (or 3) from them, it's become a tradition on Saturday mornings.  His three donuts, my cup of coffee and I'm out of there for around $6 when you include a $1.change tip.  I can't tip on their CC/POS system so cash is fine.

The one place that IRRITATES the heck out of me for not taking a card is Costco's lunch counter.  Costco already forces you to use AMEX, DEBIT or a check for warehouse purchases.  Again, I know these are not big purchases but sometimes I just don't have cash on me or I have the $2 for a hot dog and soda when what I really want is the $5 cesar salad and I don't have the cash.  Yes that is stupid not to have a little something on me, but it seems like the harder I try to keep cash on me, the more my 15yo son needs it for one reason or another. 

NFCU nCashRewards VISA - $20,000 | NFCU nRewards $10,000
AMEX Costco TrueEarnings $5,000 | AMEX Delta Gold $1,500
Chase SWA VISA $5,000 | Chase Slate $3,500 | Chase Amazon Rewards VISA $3,000
HSN Mastecard $3,500
Message 20 of 55
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.