Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does Capital One Like to See?

tag
barthooper
Frequent Contributor

What does Capital One Like to See?

Just got approved for a 10k QuickSilver. Until now I've only had cards with Barclay and I've read several places that they (Barclay) tend to treat you well for CLIs for carrying a balance for at least some of the 0% APR period. I haven't found any similar threads with advice for Capital One. Is there a general rule of thumb to follow for them, PIF vs. carrying a small balance?

I've also read that Capital One isn't very good with CLIs, but I am thankful for my 10k to start and would like to give it the best possible shot. Thanks.

Quicksilver - 16k | Discover It - 34k | Citi DC - $21k | Chase Amazon - 8k | Chase Reserve - 19.5k | Chase Preferred - 5k | EX FICO (Discover CSC) 788
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
keithB
Established Contributor

Re: What does Capital One Like to See?

$10,000 is a mighty nice starting limit.  CapOne looks at all your credit lines, not just your account with them.  I'm assuming they look at a lot as they pull all three of your credit reports.

There are some here with +$20,000 CL with CapOne and if your income can support it, I'm guessing you are well on your way.  

Message 2 of 5
barthooper
Frequent Contributor

@keithB wrote:

$10,000 is a mighty nice starting limit.  CapOne looks at all your credit lines, not just your account with them.  I'm assuming they look at a lot as they pull all three of your credit reports.

There are some here with +$20,000 CL with CapOne and if your income can support it, I'm guessing you are well on your way.  

I assumed most/all lenders took other credit lines into consideration? The triple pull is different though.

Quicksilver - 16k | Discover It - 34k | Citi DC - $21k | Chase Amazon - 8k | Chase Reserve - 19.5k | Chase Preferred - 5k | EX FICO (Discover CSC) 788
Message 3 of 5
keithB
Established Contributor

@barthooper wrote:

@keithB wrote:

I assumed most/all lenders took other credit lines into consideration? The triple pull is different though.

Yes, of course.  I could be wrong but I think CapOne is more concerned with other accounts in relation to income then others creditors.  I think other creditors will throw higher CLs a users way in hopes of becoming the "go to" card while CapOne seems to reward loyalty with CLIs. In other words, it seems CapOne will give better CLIs if you don't load up on other creditors.

But like I say, I could be wrong Smiley Tongue

Message 4 of 5
barthooper
Frequent Contributor

@keithB wrote:

@barthooper wrote:

@keithB wrote:

Yes, of course.  I could be wrong but I think CapOne is more concerned with other accounts in relation to income then others creditors.  I think other creditors will throw higher CLs a users way in hopes of becoming the "go to" card while CapOne seems to reward loyalty with CLIs. In other words, it seems CapOne will give better CLIs if you don't load up on other creditors.

But like I say, I could be wrong Smiley Tongue

It seems like good insight nonetheless. Evidently Cap One likes what I've been doing so far and I don't plan on loading up with other creditors. The only card even on the horizon is the US Bank Cash+ which will hopefully be easier to get down the road since I'll have a 10k CL Thanks!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.