cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happen to Barclay's ring mastercard?

tag
firefox100
Valued Contributor

What happen to Barclay's ring mastercard?

Ok I have the Ring mastercard from Barclay's with a credit line of 8K which I open back in July of 2017. At this time have no balance on the card for last several months. They had news which I got every month by email it stoped coming about year ago. This card had good feature in which you can write a check and deposit into your checking account with no transaction fees at your regular intrest or call up crs and have then do direct deposit into your checking account, both of the features have gone away. I have no reason to use the card it does not have any points or cash back, how long do you think before Barclay's closes account for none use.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: What happen to Barclay's ring mastercard?

Barclay's has, at least for now, abandoned issuing any of their own cards and it's strictly cobranded cards now, similar to how Comenity or Synchrony operates. Whether this is permanent or not, who knows.

Message 2 of 12
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

In these times, it might only be a matter of months before they CLD or close your card for non-use. My fiancé hasn't used his one Barclay card for about a year and they recently sent him a warning letter to use it in 30 days or they will close. It's one of his oldest cards, so I don't know if the warning letter is standard for everyone. 

Message 3 of 12
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@KLEXH25 wrote:

In these times, it might only be a matter of months before they CLD or close your card for non-use. My fiancé hasn't used his one Barclay card for about a year and they recently sent him a warning letter to use it in 30 days or they will close. It's one of his oldest cards, so I don't know if the warning letter is standard for everyone. 

@KLEXH25, It is nice that they sent out a warning letter of "use it or lose it"

Most lenders just close .. with NO warning.

Message 4 of 12
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@KLEXH25 wrote:

@KLEXH25, It is nice that they sent out a warning letter of "use it or lose it"

Most lenders just close .. with NO warning.

Agreed! I even told my fiance that he was lucky they warned him. Another recent post indicated that another Barclay card owner was not so lucky, so it appears it's not their standard practice.

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I recently got the Ring inactivity warning letter.

Message 6 of 12
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@firefox100 I moved your thread from Credit Card Applications to Credit Cards as no application has taken place.  Threads about approvals should go to Credit Card Approvals, threads about the application process for credit cards should go to Credit Card Applications, and all other threads discussing consumer credit cards should be in Credit Cards.

You can order cash advance checks for your Barlaycard Ring account by clicking here:

https://www.barclaycardus.com/servicing/accountSettings#cashAdvanceChecks

Player 2 still has the grandfathered 8.00% variable card and went 18 months without using it without receiving a letter for non-activity nor having the account closed, but decided to make a small purchase recently to keep the account open for now.  This is very much YMMV as others have received notices of closure long before that much time passed.

Message 7 of 12
firefox100
Valued Contributor

From what I understand you can not transfer or deposit cash into your account at your regular rate, there is no more balance transfer option in the Barclay's app. I called customer service and was told you can not balance transfer or deposit to a checking account, you still do cash advance at ATM but you will be charge a transaction fee and intrest on the loan with out a grace period.

Thank you for moving thread, some times the labels don't show when screen reader speaks.

Message 8 of 12
firefox100
Valued Contributor

Another thing you can only get 20 percent of your credit line in cash. To day I bought coffee put that charge on the card.

Message 9 of 12
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

There are two types of Ring cards in circulation.  Now that I am looking at the timeline, I think we might be comparing two different cards with the same name if you opened yours up in July 2017.  Can you confirm that you have the original prime rate plus 5% APR card (currently 8% but would have been about 7.5% then) with the $3 cash advance fee and no fees for absolutely anything else version and not the later one that came with a 0% intoductory APR and a slightly higher APR?  I want to say it changed over sometime in 2017 so I am not sure if we are comparing apples to oranges.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.