Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happened after Chase AARP?

tag
J0hnD0nuts
Established Member

What happened after Chase AARP?

I know Chase and AARP ended their cobranded card but what happened with those who had it? Did you have to close and reallocate? Did you switch to Barclays? Did they allow you to keep it or PC you to a different card? I'm asking because Amazon is shopping around for a new cobranding partner and I want to know what my options will be. 

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
TampaBAY86
Regular Contributor

Re: What happened after Chase AARP?

I believe @SouthJamaica still has it with Chase and is waiting to find out if it is staying, but will have to confirm.

Message 2 of 12
BigBS
Senior Contributor

I still have my Chase AARP card and have received nothing regarding way ahead. If others have would love to hear.

Score: EQ(809) EX(819) TU(800)
INQs: EQ(7) EX(16) TU(8)
Last INQ: 13 Jul 23

Total Credit Limit - $2.0M

Message 3 of 12
TheBoondocks
Established Contributor

@J0hnD0nuts wrote:

I know Chase and AARP ended their cobranded card but what happened with those who had it? Did you have to close and reallocate? Did you switch to Barclays? Did they allow you to keep it or PC you to a different card? I'm asking because Amazon is shopping around for a new cobranding partner and I want to know what my options will be. 

Excellent questions man! I also want to know as well. There's a guy on the forum that says he was able to keep his cobrand card with chase so hopefully it stays!

According to this guy he said - 

Amazon is will not choose Amex or synchrony .
Amex is giving Amazon discount in interchange fee for all Amex cards on amazon. Instead of charging Amazon 3%, Amex is offering much lower than 3%. VISA is also offering Amazon a heavy discount on interchange as well, so if Amazon leaves Chase, they could possibly lose out to the huge VISA discount. Obviously Citi is also bidding for it .

Ps. I work for one of the issuers who is bidding for the amazon contract.

Message 4 of 12
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Let's not stray too far off of topic here.   There is an active thread in the Credit in the News section of the forum specific to the news regarding the Amazon Visa.   Thanks for your cooperation!

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 5 of 12
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@J0hnD0nuts wrote:

The CSR's told me that existing accounts will stay with Chase.  So far, so good.  Haven't heard a peep about having to change.

I expected it to move to Barclays because the newspaper accounts said that Barclays was getting the "portfolio" including the "receivables".

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 6 of 12
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

The change over will not happen until September and Barclays will be taking the existing Chase cards sans maybe a few that Chase chooses to keep. I would keep your card paid off if you want Chase to think about keeping it as a zero balance card isnt really in the receivables portfolio. Chase has said they are keeping mine so it remains to be seen.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/credit-cards/barclays-launches-new-aarp-credit-cards

Message 7 of 12
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

The change over will not happen until September and Barclays will be taking the existing Chase cards sans maybe a few that Chase chooses to keep. I would keep your card paid off if you want Chase to think about keeping it as a zero balance card isnt really in the receivables portfolio. Chase has said they are keeping mine so it remains to be seen.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/credit-cards/barclays-launches-new-aarp-credit-cards

I pay this card off every month before the statement cuts. Do you think I should pay it off even sooner than that to stay in the "zero balance" category?

Message 8 of 12
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@gdale6 wrote:

I pay this card off every month before the statement cuts. Do you think I should pay it off even sooner than that to stay in the "zero balance" category?

No, if you already are using AZEO on it you dont have to pay it off sooner, though what I am going to do is make sure the balance is at 0 on August 25th and I will SD the card until I have confirmation the portfolio switch has happened.

Message 9 of 12
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@gdale6 wrote:

No, if you already are using AZEO on it you dont have to pay it off sooner, though what I am going to do is make sure the balance is at 0 on August 25th and I will SD the card until I have confirmation the portfolio switch has happened.

Well I think I'm going to follow your lead Smiley Happy You seem lucky Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.