cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens if I cancel Amex account?

stealth71
Valued Member

What happens if I cancel Amex account?

I applied for and received a Delta Amex Gold. After reading about all this financial review garbage, I just don't feel like this is a company I want to do business with. I don't even want to activate the card let alone use it. I already feel like they have a gun to my head. It's none of their d*** business and I'll refuse to send them IRS forms, bank account info, or payroll stubs. That's too much of a hassle for a measly credit card.

What are the ramifications if I just decide to cancel the account? What kind of a hit, if any, wlll my credit reports take? My plan is to drop these nutcases and get a Citi card or something else later, my credit score is good enough for almost any card. I just don't have time to deal with them, and I'd rather close the account myself rather than have them do it. Thoughts?

Thanks guys.
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
ilovepizza
Senior Contributor

Re: What happens if I cancel Amex account?

Your probably ok with Amex as long as you don't ask for a credit line increase. However, you can choose not to activate the card and ask Amex to remove it form your credit reports. I have done that before with 2 credit cards. I needed to dispute the CC with the CRA saying the card was never active to have it removed. However you are stuck with the inquiry. I would keep the Amex card and not ask for a CLI. But as long as you are honest with income, Amex will be your friend.
If we never set higher goals we would never get as far.
sol, credit 101, acr, abbreviations, calc
Message 2 of 3
stealth71
Valued Member

Re: What happens if I cancel Amex account?

But as long as you are honest with income, Amex will be your friend.

I dunno, that's not what others are saying. I personally don't look forward to the day when they decide to call my residence to inform me that my account has been suspended pending a financial review. Had I known about this policy, I never would have applied.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.