cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens if I do a balance transfer to card with no balance?

tag
folks19
Frequent Contributor

What happens if I do a balance transfer to card with no balance?

What will happen if I do a balance transfer to a card with bo balance or a balance less then the transfer? Will I have a negative balance of that card?

Additionally, what happens if I make a balance transfer to a debit card? Will the money go to my bank account?

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
chiefone4u
Established Contributor

Re: What happens if I do a balance transfer to card with no balance?

@folks19 wrote:

What will happen if I do a balance transfer to a card with bo balance or a balance less then the transfer? Will I have a negative balance of that card?

Additionally, what happens if I make a balance transfer to a debit card? Will the money go to my bank account?

I have never tried a balance transfer to a debit card, but I believe the transfer will fail because the card number doesn't meet the verification of a credit card.

You could potentially transfer more to a credit card than is owed... depending on the banks involved, you could end up with a negative balance, or the transfer could be rejected, or the receiving bank might send back the overage. 

If you did get the account to have a negative balance, it would report with a $0 balance and your normal credit limit. After 30 to 90 day's if you haven't spent the money they will normally mail you a check to bring the account to $0.

Considering most banks charge a fee for balance transfers, it doesn't make much sense to me to transfer more than is owed... since the purpose IMHO is to reduce the interest you are paying to allow quicker pay off of debt.

Goodwill Saturation Technique
Starting Score: EQ:608, EX:617, TU:625
Current Score 3/11/2020: EQ:695, EX:703, TU:720
Goal Score: 740+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Discover IT $1000Cabelas Clasic $1000Coscto Anywhere Signature Visa -Citi- $7200ExxonMobil Smartcard -Citi- $2500Playstation Visa (Comenity) $1950QuickSilver One $2200Walmart $6000Wells Fargo Platinum Visa $3000
Member of the Synchrony Bank giveth then Taketh away April 2020 Club! $86,900 in available credit gone without warning.
Newest Account July 8, 2020 -- Last HP October 24, 2020 -- Gardening Goal: August 2022 and reach 0/24
Message 2 of 19
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@folks19 wrote:

If you do a balance transfer to a card with a balance less than the transfer, there will be a credit balance, which will report as zero.  Depending on the size of the credit balance, some institutions will not let it sit there but will send you a refund check.

I see no problem with going a little bit over your balance, but sending a balance transfer payment to an account with no balance sounds like a complication waiting to happen. 

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 3 of 19
ipmyf88
Valued Member

I actually have some experience on this. I once had to balance transfer some money from card to card but they happened to be from the same bank. So obviously they don't allow transfers within the same bank. So I tried to balance transfer from a card to an AMEX that had no balance and then I called AMEX and asked to transfer that money to my bank account and they did. It's a risky move but it worked for me. 

Balance transfer to debit cards I think don't go through. 

Message 4 of 19
folks19
Frequent Contributor

@chiefone4u @SouthJamaica The purpose of doing this is to get an almost free loan with a 0% APR card and use the money for any purpose like in @ipmyf88 case.

Message 5 of 19
tcbofade
Super Contributor

...but wouldn't it be simpler to do a balance transfer to your checking account?

Citi, Chase, and Discover have that option...  I don't know who else does or does not.

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 6 of 19
chiefone4u
Established Contributor

@tcbofade wrote:

...but wouldn't it be simpler to do a balance transfer to your checking account?

Citi, Chase, and Discover have that option...  I don't know who else does or does not.

I second this... BECU and Bank of America (some accounts) can take a cash advance/ balance transfer to checking account from a card.

I have personal experience with BECU taking a cash advance during the 0% apr intro with no fees... as far as BoA, I know people who have and I know people who were told no.

Goodwill Saturation Technique
Starting Score: EQ:608, EX:617, TU:625
Current Score 3/11/2020: EQ:695, EX:703, TU:720
Goal Score: 740+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Discover IT $1000Cabelas Clasic $1000Coscto Anywhere Signature Visa -Citi- $7200ExxonMobil Smartcard -Citi- $2500Playstation Visa (Comenity) $1950QuickSilver One $2200Walmart $6000Wells Fargo Platinum Visa $3000
Member of the Synchrony Bank giveth then Taketh away April 2020 Club! $86,900 in available credit gone without warning.
Newest Account July 8, 2020 -- Last HP October 24, 2020 -- Gardening Goal: August 2022 and reach 0/24
Message 7 of 19
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@folks19 wrote:

@chiefone4u @SouthJamaica The purpose of doing this is to get an almost free loan with a 0% APR card and use the money for any purpose like in @ipmyf88 case.

I think you're looking for trouble.

Both for the original reason, that making a payment on an account with no balance could cause complications, and for the additional reason you've just provided, which is that you may well be violating the terms of the balance transfer.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 8 of 19
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@tcbofade wrote:

That's what I want to know!

The example given of a BT to Amex, then having them move the money to the bank account....why? Why not just BT directly to the bank account?

As for an "almost free loan"--I'm not seeing it, unless the BT offer has a 0% fee (different than a 0% APR). Most BT offers have fees ranging from 2-5%, so any amount will incur a fee--how is that almost free?

OP, if you'd clarify what your actual objective is, that might help! Because right now I'm scratching my head wondering why you'd want to overpay accounts, try to pay a debit card, and so on. Why not just put the BT in your bank account?

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 9 of 19
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@chiefone4u wrote:

@tcbofade wrote:

I second this... BECU and Bank of America (some accounts) can take a cash advance/ balance transfer to checking account from a card.

I have personal experience with BECU taking a cash advance during the 0% apr intro with no fees... as far as BoA, I know people who have and I know people who were told no.

My BofA BT offers always have the option to deposit into a bank account. I'm not talking about an intro period, just in general.

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.