cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens if I do a balance transfer to card with no balance?

tag
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Re: What happens if I do a balance transfer to card with no balance?

As someone else mentioned, some get that option, some don't.

Citi and Discover will allow my wife to balance transfer to our checking account.

Citi gives me the same option, but Discover does not.

I'm not sure what the rules/guidelines are, but some users have the option and some do not.

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 11 of 19
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@tcbofade wrote:

As someone else mentioned, some get that option, some don't.

Citi and Discover will allow my wife to balance transfer to our checking account.

Citi gives me the same option, but Discover does not.

I'm not sure what the rules/guidelines are, but some users have the option and some do not.

I guess it's like everything else credit-related, varying from person to person. All of the banks you mentioned give me the bank account option for BTs.

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 12 of 19
folks19
Frequent Contributor

@tcbofade I didn't realize there was an option to transfer to checking accounts. Are you sure that doesn't get treated as a cash advance?

Message 13 of 19
folks19
Frequent Contributor

@SoCalGardener wrote:

@tcbofade wrote:

...but wouldn't it be simpler to do a balance transfer to your checking account?

That's what I want to know!

The example given of a BT to Amex, then having them move the money to the bank account....why? Why not just BT directly to the bank account?

As for an "almost free loan"--I'm not seeing it, unless the BT offer has a 0% fee (different than a 0% APR). Most BT offers have fees ranging from 2-5%, so any amount will incur a fee--how is that almost free?

OP, if you'd clarify what your actual objective is, that might help! Because right now I'm scratching my head wondering why you'd want to overpay accounts, try to pay a debit card, and so on. Why not just put the BT in your bank account?

@SoCalGardener The purpose of doing this is to leverage the money in ways that would earn you more money than whatever fees and interest you're paying. I won't get more specific because I'm not sure if that would be a violation of the forum terms.

I would consider this option on 0% APR cards even if there's a small fee, and some CU cards don't even charge a fee.

Message 14 of 19
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@folks19 wrote:

@tcbofade I didn't realize there was an option to transfer to checking accounts. Are you sure that doesn't get treated as a cash advance?

I'm not who you asked, but I can speak from personal experience that BTs deposited into bank accounts do not get treated as cash advances. Of course, I only know for sure with the banks I deal with--see my sig for those; YMMV depending on the bank, so you need to read the fine print.

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 15 of 19
tcbofade
Super Contributor

@folks19 wrote:

I'm certain.

I've done it many times with Discover, Citi, and Chase.

When you are entering your balance transfer information online, IF you have the option of a direct deposit to your bank account, it is still a balance transfer.

PenFed sends checks.  

...which you can write to yourself.

A balance transfer to your checking account.  Smiley Wink

Good luck!

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 16 of 19
folks19
Frequent Contributor

@SoCalGardener @tcbofade Thank you for the information. I never actually did a balance transfer so I won't know, but I'll take a look.

Message 17 of 19
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@folks19 wrote:

@SoCalGardener @tcbofade Thank you for the information. I never actually did a balance transfer so I won't know, but I'll take a look.

You're welcome. Smiley Happy

Whether it's a balance transfer or any other offer, your best bet is to ALWAYS read the fine print. That way you can avoid unexpected and/or unpleasant surprises down the road! Also, if you're ever unsure about something, even after reading its fine print, don't hesitate to post here--show us what it says and we'll try to sort it out. And you can always call the bank itself--get it straight from the horse's mouth! Smiley Very Happy

Message 18 of 19
folks19
Frequent Contributor

@SoCalGardener wrote:

@folks19 wrote:

You're welcome. Smiley Happy

Whether it's a balance transfer or any other offer, your best bet is to ALWAYS read the fine print. That way you can avoid unexpected and/or unpleasant surprises down the road! Also, if you're ever unsure about something, even after reading its fine print, don't hesitate to post here--show us what it says and we'll try to sort it out. And you can always call the bank itself--get it straight from the horse's mouth! Smiley Very Happy

Thank you for the advcie. I would do all of that besides calling the bank. I think that's a bad idea because they may think I'm trying to do some sort of churning.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.