cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens to our Amex TE cards if Costco and Amex divorce?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What's to our Amex TE cards if Costco and Amex divorce?

@14Fiesta wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Interesting. Overall it wouldn't make a huge difference to me, except that:

1. I just squandered an inquiry on the Fidelity AmEx card, my only 2% CashBack card, with the specific justification that I'd be able to use it at CostCo, unlike an MC/Visa. I'd probably opt to apply for the Citi DoubleCash card and use that at CostCo and elsewhere and the Fido would start gathering dust in the sockdrawer.

2. I'd probably save a little on gas by buying it at CostCo. Currently I rarely get gas at CostCo, because the pumps only accept AmEx and my best AmEx for gas is the TE Business at 4%. By contrast, I can use my SallieMae card for 5.5% at other stations. So unless the CostCo price is at least 1.5% lower than other stations in the area (which is almost never the case), I go elsewhere so I can use my SM card. But if the CostCo gas pumps start taking MasterCard, I'd be able to use my SallieMae for 5.5% off gas at CostCo (as I currently do at Sam's).

Chris.

Is that a typo or is Sallie 5.5%? I thought it was only 5%

It's 5% on the card, but if you open a SallieMae Savings account and transfer your rewards via UPromise, you get a 10% year-end bonus on all earnings.
Chris.

Message 31 of 52
yfan
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@yfan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

as long as they will accept either mastercard or visa, i don't care which card company they go with, it could be credit one for all I care.

Take that back! Smiley Surprised

Fine, First Premier then. Smiley LOL

What is this, give-yfan-heart-attack day?

Message 32 of 52
IcEWoLF
Frequent Contributor

Well it would truly suck! I ejoy AMEX and their customer service...I would hate it if they went with Capital One.

EQ: 768 TU: 769 EXP: 805
Ritz Carlton: 18k
CSP: 7K | Chase Freedom: 5.7K
MERRILL+® VS: 9K | BOA AMEX: 1K
BOA 123: 7K Discover IT: 6K | Discover Chrome 4K | Costco AMEX: 15K | AMEX PRG NPSL | AMEX BCE 15K | Barclay NFL: 4.9K | Citi TYP 7K | Amazon Chase 1.7K | Barclaycard Arrival Plus WEMC 5K | Citi DC 5K | FNBO AMEX 4.8K | CAP 1 QS 10K | U.S. Bank Cash+ VS 5K |U.S. Bank Perks+ VS 6K
Message 33 of 52
14Fiesta
Established Contributor

@IcEWoLF wrote:

Well it would truly suck! I ejoy AMEX and their customer service...I would hate it if they went with Capital One.

However, if they did go the Cap One route, it would mean MasterCard is open season at Costco. Can you say Double Cash? Smiley Wink

EX FICO (AMEX): 728 (4/29/17) | TU FICO (Discover): 737 (4/7/17) | EQ FICO (Citi): 746 (3/28/17)
Message 34 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

@14Fiesta wrote:

@IcEWoLF wrote:

However, if they did go the Cap One route, it would mean MasterCard is open season at Costco. Can you say Double Cash? Smiley Wink

Only if SallieMae added Costco to groceries.

Message 35 of 52
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

It would be a shame if they eliminated the TrueEarnings card--it's the only CB Amex that offers a dining category.

Message 36 of 52
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

Re: What happens to our Amex TE cards if Costco and Amex divorce?

Don't issuers usually transfer customers along with contracts to the new contract holders?

I "think " TE holders belong to Costco rather than Amex and would be transferred to whoever gets the new contract.

Not saying Amex can't offer a new card just that it would be a new account and the old now transferred TE card would still be open under new ownership.

Just my. 02
If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 760 for all in 2015.
Current FICO Scores EX: 715 EQ: 756 TU: 762
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Victim of The great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Message 37 of 52
Turbobuick
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@14Fiesta wrote:

@IcEWoLF wrote:

Only if SallieMae added Costco to groceries.

5% off already (relatively) cheap Costco gas would be very nice. It would help offset that big new gas tax we will get slammed with on Jan 1st in California.

Message 38 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

What tax?
Message 39 of 52
Turbobuick
Established Contributor

Message 40 of 52
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.