Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What in the world is wrong with USBank?

tag
Physh1
Frequent Contributor

What in the world is wrong with USBank?

Ok, I was thrilled that over a week ago I was approved for a USBank Cash+ with a 10k limit. I'm an exisiting cardholder as I have the REI card...the Cash+ was an instant approval. Just gets worse from here...

The account popped up on my online access before the card showed up showing a 10k limit. Card showed up in the mail on Saturday. I went online to activate it & USBank tells me the account doesn't exist & the account is missing from my online access.

Monday morning I call the activation phone number & the lady I spoke with asked me every bit of personal info possible to verify I am who I am than tells me she see's my account but cannot access it. She tells me I need to call USBank Fraud Prevention.

I call fraud prevention about an hour later. Another friendly rep asks me to verify my email address. I verify it & she says that is all she needs & my card can now be activated. All Fraud Prevention needed to do is verify my email?!?!?!?  I hang up, call the activation line & it works & the card pops right back up on my online access.

I used it yesterday twice. Once for gas (~$80) & once for a lunch at Subway (~$7). Both transactions go through. I used it this morning for a quick McDonalds breakfast & it's declined. The account is missing again from my online access & I called USBank & they are telling me I need to speak with Fraud Prevention AGAIN! Since they are now closed I cannot call tonight...I'll have to wait until tomorrow.

Anyone have any idea of what's going on? I've never had this issue with any card with any issuer ever. The gentleman I just got off the phone with who told me I need to call FP again said he see's a lot of notes about multiple openings & closings of this account. No new account has hit my reports yet. Anyhow...if anyone has some insight I'd appreciate it. I'm puzzled...I've kept my calm but I won't lie...if this isn't fixed I'll likely just close the card & close my Rei card as well. Not worth it...

Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30
DoogieBall
Regular Contributor

Re: What in the world is wrong with USBank?

That sounds like a big headache. Hopefully it was a one time glitch and it will never happen again.

R.I.P Cards 

Message 2 of 31
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Just some advice!   If the cash+ card keeps messing up, then closing it might make sense.   But if the REI card has been useful and trouble free, closing it is much less justified, hurting you rather than them!   Basically, don't react too much in anger....

Message 3 of 31
NRB525
Super Contributor

Congrats on the new card but, just thinking out loud, maybe that instant approval started the problems. 

Many people ( and me ) have every US Bank app go to underwriting for review.  If your app did not go to UW, maybe something did not get properly completed. 

At at this point you have only called FP one time. The Cash+ is a very good card to have. I’d give US Bank some time to work through the setups. If FP says “only email, you are fine” I would mention ( if not already clear ) the recurring problems and ask nicely again “Are you sure ? “

If a branch is nearby, that might be helpful to get a banker to call FP. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 4 of 31
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

I’ve gotten instant approvals from US bank and didn’t have these issues.

This isn’t the usual for them, so I would try to work it through. Honestly USB and Amex are by far the best to deal with when it comes to approving charges. Never heard one peep from either of them.

I would give them a chance to get whatever the issue is worked out

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 5 of 31
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

I had something somewhat similar happen with my Elan card at first (USBank affiliate). I got the card, activated it and everything was fine that day. Went to grab In N Out the next day and it declined. I called and they put me through to FP, asked a bunch of identity questions and in the end, they said "We just wanted to make sure it was you that applied for the card." "Well, yeah.. It's me" Smiley Tongue It's been problem free ever since.
I did pick it up in an app spree with BoA, Amex Gold, and CFU. I don't know if this played a roll in the extra verification or not.

Message 6 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Physh1 certainly hope they can't find and fix your situation! A little scary when you haven't even really road tested it yet?! Fingers crossed. Smiley Frustrated

Message 7 of 31
issac2x
Frequent Contributor

I've had a similar problem as well but it happened with Wells Fargo. When I got my propel for the first few week or so it was declined more than once with text messages from the WF team that I needed to call into fraud services. They needed to walk me through my transactions before clearing my card for usage. I thought it had to do with me being a new customer with no prior relationship with them so I just waited it out and eventually it stopped. Not sure if your situation is the same as mine OP but hope it works out for you since the Cash+ is a decent card to have.

Message 8 of 31
Physh1
Frequent Contributor

After 25 minutes on hold this morning I got ahold of the Fraud Prevention people again. Rep said he saw everything & verified a few personal details & restored my account. He said he's never seen something like this occur. I've got 2 supervisors to contact directly should this happen again. Used my card 10 minutes after the phone call & all was good...

We'll see...hopefully this is squashed.

Thanks for the feedback...

Message 9 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Glad that is all worked out for you, sounded like a real hassle. And while you're probably just happy that it's taken care of and finally works.

But maybe you should get an addtional SUB for the trouble? It was afterall an inconvenience on your end.

Welcome to the new world of Fraud Prevention, better safe than sorry i guess. just be glad you wren't planning travel soon after the app, like so many here seem to do.

Message 10 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.