Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What income do you report for AMEX

tag
Jccflat
Established Contributor

Re: What income do you report for AMEX

Do they normally ask for stubs only ? Or they need tax papers?
Message 11 of 41
Peteyglad
Established Contributor

My wife and I file a joint tax return so I put down our total from that. 

Chase Sapphire Preferred 20k | Amex Delta Platinum 20k | Amex Hilton Aspire 20k | US Bank Cash+ 25k | Chase Amazon Prime 25k | Barclaycard Aviator Red 40k | Bank of America Alaska Airlines 42k | Chase Marriott 50k | Discover It 50.3k | Amex EDP 52k | Citi Thank You Premier 56K | Bank of America BBR 57.9k
Message 12 of 41
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

The income you report to Amex should be the the same income you would report to the IRS if they were to ask you the same question.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 13 of 41
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

In addition to not wanting to provide tax info, the real reason I kept lowering the amount I was requesting was just to see how much I could get, not necessarily because I wanted or needed it.

So when I was approved for the AmX ED for $15K, I felt asking for $45K was out of the question for a CLI, so I asked for $35K. It wasn’t accepted until I backed down to $25K. And I was excited that amount was approved because a $10K increase with no tax info in 61 days worked for me!

So nope, I did not, nor would not, inflate my income to get any card. For me personally, it’s the thrill of the game—getting the CLI. Okay, maybe it’s for some UT padding too.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 14 of 41
CGeorge
Frequent Contributor

If anything, I always UNDER report my income when applying for a new card or requestiong any CLI....

Message 15 of 41
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

I report my gross income. The reason I would back down when asked to provide IV, is probably because I do not like giving away too much information. However, I would probably not have any problem providing them to AMEX specifically.

Message 16 of 41
Stralem
Established Contributor

I would think it a matter of convenience.

A $10k limit increase with an instant decision is much more preferable than a $20k increase that requires you to gather a bunch of sensitive documents, send them off to a creditor so they can run it all by underwriting for potentially weeks, and may ultimately result in a denial.

Maximum gain for minimal effort.

I Have Way Too Many of These.

American Express - No CLI or Appreciation Gift in 7 Years

Citibank - Handing Out Credit Limits Like Candy

Chase - Surprisingly, Still Tolerating My Credit-Chasing Ways

Bank of America - My Newest Bae.

Everyone Else.
Message 17 of 41
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Jccflat wrote:
Do they normally ask for stubs only ? Or they need tax papers?

American Express does not accept pay stubs.  They will only accept a properly completed (including the check box at the bottom near the signature that says Optional, it's not optional) and signed IRS Form 4506-T, Request for Transcript of Tax Return, authorizing the IRS to release transcripts of the 2 most recently available tax filing years.  Those do not become available until August, so since it's March now you would be authorizing the release of your 2016 and 2017 tax returns.

I did the 4506-T dance with them a while back and it was an annoying process.  At the time I only had a $21,000 limit on my Starwood card and I had been running $8-12k a month through it consistently because I was getting a HUGE return on my charges on that card.  At one point with a targeted spending offer (I think it was $20k in the next 2 months?) I was getting back about 15% on every charge!  Because I didn't feel the need to pay my statement balance off any earlier than actually necessary, there were a few months in a row where I was consistently exceeding the credit line with the combined new charges and statement balance. 

The aforementioned check box said Optional so I didn't check it.  After waiting quite a while and not hearing anything back, I called and they told me that they had discarded it because of the missed check box.  So I completed another one.  And waited.  And waited.  5 weeks after completing the 2nd one, I finally got a denial.  I called to recon it and the person I spoke with in underwriting really had no interest in talking to me.  Just stuck to a script stating that the reported income did not match what was listed on the tax return.  It was off by about 10% due to significant pre-tax deductions, which sure it's a big number but there's a matter of scale and I wasn't dishonest with the reported income.  Bringing the numbers way down to show the scale, it would be akin to someone reporting $31,000 gross income but their tax returns only show $28,000 because they had medical insurance deductions taken out pre-tax.  Frustrating!

So anyway, I likely won't do the 4506-T dance again.  It would be nice to triple my Delta Reserve to $105,000 today, but because of the denial (when I could have just accepted a lower amount right away), the time taken to process the 2nd form, and the time that passed before I even became aware that they discarded the first form - I essentially missed out on nearly an entire 181 day CLI cycle.  The first form was submitted early January 2018, and the next time I was actually able to request again was mid June 2018, which I of course received, but at that point it had been nearly 11 months since my previous CLI!  They've since given me an additional $34,000 on revolvers and I get to ask for more on Monday.

Message 18 of 41
Vu
Frequent Contributor

This is the description of Amex income: Include the dollar amount of all income available to you to make payments on this account. Income includes money you receive from wages, retirement, investments, rental properties, or another person’s income that’s regularly accessible to you. If under age 21, you must include only your personal income. You do not need to include income from alimony, child support, or separate maintenance if you do not wish to rely upon it.

Message 19 of 41
Creditdreamer
Established Contributor

@Shadowfactor wrote:
Personally I report our household income unless the creditor specified that only my income is to be used or it’s a joint application.

My fiancée charges things on my credit card and vice versa so her income should be considered as she will be helping repay. We have joint accounts so everything is kept together anyway.

I don’t think a lot of people here would have an issue providing income verification via a paystub.

Most of the resistance revolves around giving a creditor your tax returns. If your single with no dependents. I don’t see how it’s much different then a paystub but if you have a family or children then providing a creditor with tax forms would also give them info on those people as well.

For a note on this. I was FRed by Amex when I had some unusual spending. I had been reporting household income for my fiance and I (our incomes are equal). I asked if the rep wanted his tax returns too as he was in my household. The Amex rep told me "engaged isn't married, people break up all the time". So while technically that is my household income and he charges things on my credit cards, Amex doesnt consider fiances as a basis for repaying debt as there's no legal obligation for them to pay anything. I thought it was a bit funny she told me people break up. Like "hmmm really? do they? I had no idea..."

Starting: EQ 498 TU 501 EX 485 (9/23/11)
As of 5/12: EQ 552 TU 591 EX 572
Credit Repair Journey Bump in the Road
As of 10/15: EQ 511 TU 588 EX 601
Discover TU Fico- 12/31/18: 694; CK EQ- 1/16/19: 634
Goal: All 3 above 700

Message 20 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.