Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What info do CCs give to merchants?

tag
pdxmike
Regular Contributor

What info do CCs give to merchants?

When I swipe a card at a store, what info does the store receive from the card? I thought at least my zip code was shared, but according to this article, it's not, and stores can't even require you to provide your zip code, at least in some states. I'm not even clear at this point on whether my name is shared electronically, or if it's just embossed on the plastic.

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Re: What info do CCs give to merchants?

@pdxmike wrote:

When I swipe a card at a store, what info does the store receive from the card? I thought at least my zip code was shared, but according to this article, it's not, and stores can't even require you to provide your zip code, at least in some states. I'm not even clear at this point on whether my name is shared electronically, or if it's just embossed on the plastic.

This may be a bit off topic but some stores will report what you buy when you use credit cards also , that parts an bit on the scarier side. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 2 of 17
pdxmike
Regular Contributor

Apparently Staples and Sears provide Level 3 (items purchased) data to Amex. I'm not sure if other stores or card networks use Level 3 for everyday consumer purchases. (Airlines report it, I believe.) But I'm interested in what data is flowing the other way, from the CC to the merchant. I know if I buy things with a loyalty card, the merchant can develop a profile on me (remember the article about Target knowing a girl was pregnant before her parents did?), but what if I spread my purchases across different cards and don't provide contact info? Can they still put the puzzle pieces together and know my darkest secrets, like that I'm a freak who buys ice cream in the winter?

Message 3 of 17
pdxmike
Regular Contributor

Ok, it appears the cardholder's name is supplied electronically by the magnetic stripe. So is the info on the stripe all a merchant gets, just a name and some card-related numbers with no contact info? If someone's name is very common, do stores really have no way of knowing who bought something? Or do merchants store some sort of encrypted card number to make a unique ID?

Message 4 of 17
pdxmike
Regular Contributor

Now that I think about it, a store once gave me a refund without a receipt by having me supply the debit card I purchased it with, so they apparently keep a record of all items purchased with every card ever. Maybe their data is card-specific, but doesn't group a customer's various cards together unless they use a loyalty card, provide a zip code, or otherwise provide something more than a name to help uniquely identify them. Maybe. I mean, they can't just lump together all the Michael Smiths and Maria Garcias, but maybe Izzabella Navahasadin is being tracked.

Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I buy gas, no matter what card I use, the kiosk asks for my Zip. Next time I buy, I'll type in a fake zip, just to see if it's mandatory information. Interesting article.

Message 6 of 17
core
Valued Contributor

Yes they definitely get the name because I see my full name on receipts and the computer screens all the time.  But I don't see why the focus on the zip code.  As you said, they can't lump all Maria Garcias together.  Even in a given zip code... that doesn't really help you pinpoint the customer if you're in a predominantly spanish-speaking town.

In order for the merchant to tie a given customer's cards together with any certainty they'd need a birthdate, last 4 of SSN or phone number, anything.  I almost guarantee they get none of the above.  But keep in mind the security cameras are perfectly capable of tying your face to the card used.  You might be in trouble there.

By the way, what kind of naughty stuff are you buying that you need to be concerned?  Just put your rope on the QS1 card, and the duct tape on the Citi DC, and don't worry so much.  Buy some of the items with a prepaid gift card if you're really paranoid.  Me, I'd just go ahead and buy all the items in the same trip so the cashier knows what a good time she's missing out on.

Message 7 of 17
pdxmike
Regular Contributor

It's not single purchases that are the issue, but years of comprehensive information about everything I've ever bought being tracked, sold and analyzed. I just would rather they not have that, if there were an easy way to prevent it short of only using cash.

Message 8 of 17
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

When I buy gas, no matter what card I use, the kiosk asks for my Zip. Next time I buy, I'll type in a fake zip, just to see if it's mandatory information. Interesting article.

It is mandatory because when you live abroad US cards will no longer work at the pump because of the non US zip Smiley Sad  While foreign card require PIN as identification the US issued cards will work with the billing zip only and once you do not have a US billing zip you can only pay at the counter... this sucks!

Message 9 of 17
pdxmike
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It's interesting, because online orders can use the address verification system, and even prepaid cards can require a zip code to match against, but apparently it's a privacy right in some states to refuse a zip code to a physical retailer. It would be interesting if you can enter a blank zip code field or 00000 at the gas station.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.