Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is amex plan it?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is amex plan it?

It shows up in my online account. Has anyone used it and was it worthwhile? Seems like its payment related but not sure of the details 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: What is amex plan it?

It lets you put purchases over $100 into what is more or less an installment plan. It doesn't create a separate account, but the balance uses up part of your credit limit.

You keep your grace period. Amex technically doesn't charge interest but instead charges a fee that it adds onto each statement. Amex generally offers a choice on how long you want to pay it off, between 3 and 24 months. But you won't know how long you can stretch payments out until the purchases have posted to the card and you go to make a plan. There is no guarantee of getting at least a year or anything like that.

I may be describing some little detail incorrectly. I've only used it during no-fee promotions when I could avoid interest and plan fees altogether.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 2 of 8
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Sounds good, @wasCB14. Smiley Happy

Additionally, money due on plans plus fees are tacked on to your minimum payment. To keep your grace period intact you'll want to pay the "adjusted statement balance." A handful of data points indicate that the amount of the fee usually translates to an interest rate a bit below the regular rate on your account. Plans created during a card's 0% interest period have no fees.

Because of the increased minimum payments, plans can put a surprisingly big dent in one's DTI. That's not a big deal unless you're applying for credit.

Message 3 of 8
kudosalert
Frequent Contributor

I would read their T&C very closely. I've used it before and had a couple of surprises. Took a bunch of phone calls w/ different departments  and weeks to sort it out. The average CR will not be able to help you w/ Plan It issues. Do make  the payments well in advance of the statement closing dates because it has to do w/ how your payments are applied. Dont take my word for it because I'm doing it from memory but payments are applied first to: adjusted balance (plan fees + new non-plan charges), plan principle (w/ oldest plan first then other plans if you have multiple).

Do the math on the monthly plan fees as well. I've played around w/ them each time I've charged a large amount. For me it varies btw 9-26% so some times it's more than my APR.

In my wallet:

In my desk:
Message 4 of 8
wasCB14
Super Contributor

How payments are applied can get complicated, but that's true for many cards. It's fairly simple for me because I pay the no-fee plan installment amount, as well as accumulated non-plan charges that would otherwise trigger interest if I wasn't PIFing.

One complication is that even though I'm set up with ebills, I have to read the actual bill to know how much to pay. When Amex sends ebills to Schwab, it suggests two payment amounts:

#1. The current portion of existing plans plus the minimum payment due on recent purchases not in plans.

#2. The full balance of existing plans and the full statement balance of recent purchases not in plans.

The ideal amount to pay is actually in between these...the current portion of existing plans and the full statement balance of recent purchases not in plans. I PIF the purchases that would otherwise trigger interest and carry aggressively the purchases that don't. But if you are paying a fee on a plan, then allocating a payment to regular purchases vs. a plan can get complicated.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kudosalert wrote:

I would read their T&C very closely. I've used it before and had a couple of surprises. Took a bunch of phone calls w/ different departments  and weeks to sort it out. The average CR will not be able to help you w/ Plan It issues. Do make  the payments well in advance of the statement closing dates because it has to do w/ how your payments are applied. Dont take my word for it because I'm doing it from memory but payments are applied first to: adjusted balance (plan fees + new non-plan charges), plan principle (w/ oldest plan first then other plans if you have multiple).

Do the math on the monthly plan fees as well. I've played around w/ them each time I've charged a large amount. For me it varies btw 9-26% so some times it's more than my APR.

I have never heard of a Plan fee being higher than the APR on the account. It's literally meant to save people who have to carry a balance money. AMEX gives you a discount for making a commitment to pay the balance back in monthly installments. 

I have used Plan It a few times and it seems like it has a lot of promise but for example, my Amazon Prime was like $128 and I was offered a plan for 12 months with no fee but a $280 cable bill I was only offered 3 months with no fee (both of these were on a card with 0% intro APR so the fee was waived as well). The fact that it's so variable makes it a bit less useful really. 

If you go pull your cardmember agreement (log in on the website and go to account services, scroll down and you'll see a link to request it and it will generate one for you), you can find your maximum Plan fee. Here is mine for my BCP:

"Plan Fee (Fixed Finance Charge)
0.00% introductory monthly plan fee on each purchase amount moved into a plan through your billing period that ends in October, 2020. After that, your monthly plan fee will be up to 1.06% of each purchase amount moved into a plan based on the plan duration, the APR that would otherwise apply to the purchase, and other factors."

My card has a regular APR of 23.99% so the maximum Plan fee is a little more than half of my regular APR. 

Message 6 of 8
NRB525
Super Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

How payments are applied can get complicated, but that's true for many cards. It's fairly simple for me because I pay the no-fee plan installment amount, as well as accumulated non-plan charges that would otherwise trigger interest if I wasn't PIFing.

One complication is that even though I'm set up with ebills, I have to read the actual bill to know how much to pay. When Amex sends ebills to Schwab, it suggests two payment amounts:

#1. The current portion of existing plans plus the minimum payment due on recent purchases not in plans.

#2. The full balance of existing plans and the full statement balance of recent purchases not in plans.

The ideal amount to pay is actually in between these...the current portion of existing plans and the full statement balance of recent purchases not in plans. I PIF the purchases that would otherwise trigger interest and carry aggressively the purchases that don't. But if you are paying a fee on a plan, then allocating a payment to regular purchases vs. a plan can get complicated.

On my AMEX revolvers, I have the Autopayment set up to pay "Adjusted Balance". That way, if I select a Plan It amount, AMEX automatically takes all the new non-Plan It amounts, the PIF portion, and the necessary Plan It payment amount, and I don't have to do no math, no nuthin'.

There is also an option to do "Minimum Payment" but then I'd start paying interest on regular spend (not Plan It items) and I don't want to do that. I also don't want Total New Balance, because, whelp, I have a Plan It going on.

Yet another round in the Push vs Pull payments argument, which I will always vote for Pull / Autopay initiated by my credit card bank Smiley Happy 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 7 of 8
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Plan its are great if you are offered to do them for 0% and no fee... 

I use them periodically,  you can actually re-bundle a Plan-it.... by adding other charges to a plan it...

Its a little tricky because you dont want to make the first payment immediately after you create the plan-it..

Useful side feature on Amex cards.. makes more sense than the 6 mo 0$ vs the equal pay option.. (easier to use the equal pay for figuring out the adjusted payment)... gets confusing once you decide to spread it out on your terms..

-J

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.